inTank Media Baskets

100 Days of Nanos - An Official Nano-Reef Contest

metrokat

18 minutes ago, StinkyBunny said:

Purples are strange critters, 8/10 are decent, then there will be 2 that are hell bent on destruction. It's a damn shame you're not closer to LA, I could have my girl there find you a little one. Shipping would be friggin' nuts, she intercepts my Fiji, rebags it and sends it on its way to me out here. It's damn rare that I lose anything from Uncle Walty, he and my Sri Lanka connection are the best in the business.

Well if small ones are out there my local dealer will bring a few in I am sure. He is on top of the latest things and brings in some nice stuff.........

If I was in LA well :blink: I probably wouldn't be into fish :lol: just a bunch of crazy people out there.............

• Like 2
23 hours ago, metrokat said:

BREAKING NEWS! omgomgomg

The folks at Innovative Marine have been extremely awesome and are giving away the GRANDEST prize of all!

The NEW Innovative Marine Concept Glass Series Aquarium.  $400 dollar value! omgomgomg

image002.png.173d4b6f6bd1629d97704d91f7b69c8d.png

Our previously announced prize categories are being updated and new categories are being added so stay tuned for that post. In the meantime 

98b23ce743268189997707346dfe514dc3568ea8

@SeaFurn @sabrefencer @lkoechle @skoechle @spectra @stellablue @mrmikekim @FateX9 @coralcousins @HouseOf1000Corals @Coral_chef @Pjanssen @Mariaface @jedimasterben @Christopher Marks @SushiYum @luu78 @NanoSteve @Addinali @MaineReefkeeper

STEP UP YOUR GAME YO! :lol:

I don't stand a chance since I'm not in the competition but please say they're also releasing a black stand version... That tank would solve several of the "problems" I'm having with deciding what to go with o_O

• Like 1
7 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

I don't stand a chance since I'm not in the competition but please say they're also releasing a black stand version... That tank would solve several of the "problems" I'm having with deciding what to go with o_O

I am sure they will bring out a black version. Although I know someone that krylon sprayed over it... :ninja:

• Like 2
4 hours ago, metrokat said:

I am sure they will bring out a black version. Although I know someone that krylon sprayed over it... :ninja:

Yeah, I was thinking I would do that if need be but it wouldn't hurt to have it come with that or the wood grain stock out of the box. 

Biggest question is when we'll see Canadian stock and how much it will be ^_^ ... And when it'll be on IM's website :)

• Like 2
24 minutes ago, seabass said:

What's the value of a millipede starfish?

luida senagalensis-abundant in the shallows of the florida coast. 10-20 dollars worth of gas to get from the marina to the sand bar where we found it?

• Like 7
On 4/20/2017 at 7:45 PM, skoechle said:

NO!

And stop it! ... With this new tank, I'm pretty sure she will completely forget she has children.

I'm sorry but that's hilarious.

And I can totally relate. I mean, I'm so glad I don't have children so I have endless amounts of reefing time...

• Like 1
On 6/18/2017 at 3:15 PM, Pjanssen said:

Will it fit?

34999773130_7dec1ef4f9_c.jpgStarfish by Penny, on Flickr

Todays beach find. not quite as intriguing as yesterdays square grouper but exciting none the less

Ugh I kind of want to move to Florida just for the beach finds.

• Like 3
8 hours ago, metrokat said:

Biggest challenge so far?

The biggest challenges for me are balancing nutrients and keeping the sponges alive.  I have cut back to feeding every other day, I do a 4 gallon water change every week and change the filter floss every week, and I am thinking about getting that brightwell No3 cubes.  I haven't seen any negative sideaffects however.  All the corals open almost everyday (unless the gorgonians are shedding skin which is about 1x a week and takes a day or two to complete) and there isn't excess algae growth.  I am not running a skimmer because I don't want to buy one if there is an opportunity to win one. :D lol

My second challenge has been the sponges.  I dose 3 drops daily of Brightwell's SpongeExcel and 1 drop of KZ Sponge power.  I haven't seen any noticeable growth but also no recession. So I guess its all good?  I wish they had polyps like corals or were on plugs so I could judges better.

Its been interesting and challenging getting thrown all these new animals I have never cared for before.  Literally.  i have never owned a blenny, never owned clingfish, sponges, gorgonians, macroalgae, urchins, starfish, porcelain crabs, mollusks...  So learning about all of these animald and their biology and care has been challenging as well, but in a good way.  I haven't had any major losses yet (minus the tree sponge which arrived damaged).  So I think I am handling it.  I feel like a newb again.  Which isn't a bad thing for the constantly curious.  I always get thrown off with titles like "novice" or "advanced" because I never feel like I know enough so I always feel like a newb in some form or fashion.

Anyways, those have been my biggest challenges.

• Like 10
9 hours ago, metrokat said:

Aside from being limited by one hand (the right is coming along slowly, btw), It's been a fairly maintenance free set up. Water changes are difficult-I can remove water easily enough, but lifting 5 gallon jugs for refilling is not possible, so I have to rely on availability of assistance from my husband. Same with making sure the ATO reservoir has water in it. with out a top evaporation is pretty great. My biggest challenge really is how to keep macros glued down-some of them just don't want to stay put.

• Like 6
6 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

My biggest challenge really is how to keep macros glued down-some of them just don't want to stay put.

Yeah, I have one macro in the mantis tank (some red kind) that I wedge between the rock and wall but every now and then in takes off like a tumbleweed in a western movie down the tank. lol

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Pjanssen said:

Aside from being limited by one hand (the right is coming along slowly, btw), It's been a fairly maintenance free set up. Water changes are difficult-I can remove water easily enough, but lifting 5 gallon jugs for refilling is not possible, so I have to rely on availability of assistance from my husband. Same with making sure the ATO reservoir has water in it. with out a top evaporation is pretty great. My biggest challenge really is how to keep macros glued down-some of them just don't want to stay put.

can you use the IM pump (provided you changed it out) to pump water from a bucket on the floor to where the ATO/tank is?

That is how I did it after back surgery so I didn't have to lift.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Boggers said:

can you use the IM pump (provided you changed it out) to pump water from a bucket on the floor to where the ATO/tank is?

Yep, that's a good tip.  I often use these Python extension hoses  (with the fittings removed) and a Maxi-Jet pump to move water from A to B.  These hoses (available in 10 or 20' lengths) are very flexible and don't keep trying to curl back into a loop.  Plus, the Maxi-Jet pump's outlet slips right into them.

• Like 3

Biggest challenge so far is keeping my mag in check, it fluctuates so much, has been keeping steady above 1250 atleast with dosing before dosing it wanted to stay around 1050 even with weekly water changes 

• Like 3

Freaky Bacteria Of Doom, for sure.

Although algae's trying to win. I did a thing; we'll see how it works out.. :ninja:

And last, but not least: procuring the fish that I want. Apparently they only show up once a year or so, which is tempting me into making this an invert-only tank...

• Like 8
1 hour ago, Mariaface said:

procuring the fish that I want. Apparently they only show up once a year

Is it a Santa Claus fish?

Srsly, wth is it???

• Like 4
17 hours ago, metrokat said:

Trying to figure out why some of the RFA's didn't make it, how to maintain the tank and care for them so there are no more losses, and figuring out what's normal behavior and what isn't. 

5 hours ago, Boggers said:

no, he reservoir behind the tank.IMG_3705.thumb.jpg.6199cd72776cd6294e5e482bc4a3fa0c.jpg

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

no, he reservoir behind the tank.IMG_3705.thumb.jpg.6199cd72776cd6294e5e482bc4a3fa0c.jpg

I really like that resivor where did you get it 

I currently have just a 5 gallon jug on the kitchen counter 

• Like 1
  • Christopher Marks unpinned this topic