Pod Your Reef

100 Days of Nanos - An Official Nano-Reef Contest

metrokat

StinkyBunny
7 hours ago, seabass said:

Haha, I might need to plant me some of those gorgonian bushes. :)  Can you only find them in Hawaii?

That reminds me of a symposium on reef tanks back in 88 or 89. Some guy asks if you can find those "live rocks" in your back yard. My friend Dennis, rather loudly exclaims, "Yea, your dog leaves them there for you." I was no more good after that, lol.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, StinkyBunny said:

Some guy asks if you can find those "live rocks" in your back yard.

Was his name "Derrick" perchance? :D

• Like 3

Two months in and I have really enjoyed everyone's tanks. I have my morning coffee and check out any posts about the contest tanks. Thanks to all the contestants for hanging in there and sharing. 

• Like 6
On 7/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, debbeach13 said:

Two months in and I have really enjoyed everyone's tanks. I have my morning coffee and check out any posts about the contest tanks. Thanks to all the contestants for hanging in there and sharing. 

+1 The progress has been amazing

On 6/23/2017 at 2:34 PM, lkoechle said:

@metrokat  When you gonna update the prize list with the new categories and such?

My bad, I will do this today.

On 6/27/2017 at 5:28 PM, mrmikekim said:

so...i tore my achilles and my surgery is scheduled in the upcoming weeks.  i plan on staying in the contest but may be MIA for a while...sorry!

So sorry to hear that, I hope your recovery goes well.

Contest Prizes Update

Prize Categories

Best Overall

The Grandest Prize of all! From Innovative Marine – the NEW IM Concept Glass Aquarium series!

A $400 value!

Best Aquascape

Amazing Prize From Innovative Marine – One DeskTop Performance Pack

Performance Pack includes: (1) Spinstream, (1) Desktop CustomCaddy (1) AccuDrip fish and coral acclimator (1) Desktop MiniMax Media Reactor and (1) SkimMate Ghost Protein Skimmer, a $250 value. http://www.innovative-marine.com/auqa-gadget/performance-pack.html

Most Frugal

CoralVue Smart ATO Micro $124.99 value

World Wide Corals $50 certificate

AquaMaxx Reef Welder Epoxy Glue - Purple - 500mL $29.99 value

We have many other prizes to give and some category suggestions were awesome:

• Struggle Bus 
  • Best Growth 
  • Best Photography
  • Most Colorful
  • Most Enthusiasm
  • Most GHA/pests

Additional Prizes!

We also have several additional prizes for contestants, so there will be a lot of winners (chosen by the sponsor or Benny & Kat). Listed alphabetically:

1. Reef Cleaners $25 off for one winner with CODE

2. Marine Depot AquaMaxx Coral-Eye 5W CREE Blue LED Flashlight $29.99 value

3. Inkbird Temperature Controller ITC-308 $35 value (from Kat)

4. House of Sticks 20% off for one winner

5. Ocean Box Designs Magnetic Frag racks 3 pack with plugs $60 value sign up to email list and be entered to win https://goo.gl/MoSnH3

6. Ocean Box Designs Tshirt $24.99 value sign up to email list and be entered to win https://goo.gl/MoSnH3

7. Ocean Box Designs Mini Magnet Cleaner $19.99 value sign up to email list and be entered to win https://goo.gl/MoSnH3

8. Nano-Box Care package surprise! NanoBox will be giving away a NanoBox Secret Box containing a random selection of NanoBox products. This could be anything from a one-off LED light to a handful of NanoBox t-shirts. Dave will choose what goes into the prize box but promises to not disappoint!

9. Marine Depot AquaMaxx onPoint Coral Feeder $19.99 value

10. Brightwell Aquatics Reef Code A and B, 500ml for 3 winners $15 value

11. Reef Weeds 3 UV Mini paintings

• Like 8

Ah to bad I missed this just now seeing it. i think it would have been fun. oh well not that i need another tank but more and more I am liking nanos.

maybe next time ( if there ever is a next time)  I can jump on board, untill then I can watch the FTS THREAD. if only the pics will load damn photobucket...haha    

So if there is another one after this I want in. Something in the 5 gallon range would be nice. I was all caught up in the lounge rat contest when this one came up. 

• Like 1
On 7/12/2017 at 1:18 AM, devaji108 said:

Ah to bad I missed this just now seeing it. i think it would have been fun. oh well not that i need another tank but more and more I am liking nanos.

maybe next time ( if there ever is a next time)  I can jump on board, untill then I can watch the FTS THREAD. if only the pics will load damn photobucket...haha    

We have some rebel participants. The more the merrier. One of 'em doesn't even have the correct tank. Right @StinkyBunny?

On 7/17/2017 at 9:19 PM, duderubble said:

So if there is another one after this I want in. Something in the 5 gallon range would be nice. I was all caught up in the lounge rat contest when this one came up. 

Yesssss!

• Like 3
StinkyBunny
21 minutes ago, metrokat said:

We have some rebel participants. The more the merrier. One of 'em doesn't even have the correct tank. Right @StinkyBunny?

If I could stay healthy for long enough I could finish it. I'm still recovering from the Golf accident and Lyme disease.

There's what's left of my Golf:

iPihXyr.jpg?1

8 minutes ago, StinkyBunny said:

If I could stay healthy for long enough I could finish it. I'm still recovering from the Golf accident and Lyme disease.

There's what's left of my Golf:

iPihXyr.jpg?1

:o Was this the one that made you cookoo in the head or is this a new accident?!

• Like 1
54 minutes ago, StinkyBunny said:

Yep, chiropractor is putting me back together again.

Way to go Humpty Dumpty :P 

They ever find who hit you?

• Like 1
StinkyBunny
37 minutes ago, spectra said:

Way to go Humpty Dumpty :P 

They ever find who hit you?

Nope, 3 leads didn't pan out. If they ever catch them, they better keep them locked up.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, metrokat said:

Yesssss!

Did any of the experimentationing ever pan out for a pico contest? :flower:

• Like 3

I so want to die how did I miss this omg I was away from the forum for a bit life got a little hectic and bam fun stuff pops up I so want to enter in this but i hope i there is  another one after this have fun guys good luck !!!!!!

• Like 4
On 7/21/2017 at 10:41 PM, Lula_Mae said:

Did any of the experimentationing ever pan out for a pico contest? :flower:

Alright, I will come clean and not be a ninja anymore.

I was experimenting with copepods. Specifically Tigger pods. Growing them (or trying) in a betta bowl. I thought I gave it all the care but I am clearly doing something wrong because they perish. I've gone through 2 cultures now. With an air stone. Without. With phyto. With spirulina. Nope.

In sharp contrast, I put a small tuft of chaeto in the same bowl (after the pods died), it wasn't a healthy tuft to begin with. But 2-3-4 weeks later, with this beta bowl sitting close to the windows and doing absolutely nothing - no top off, no feeding, nothing. The chaeto grew.

So maybe the experiment started out as a copepod culture and turned into "chaeto is an alien"? :D

On 7/22/2017 at 10:45 PM, billdeluz said:

I so want to die how did I miss this omg I was away from the forum for a bit life got a little hectic and bam fun stuff pops up I so want to enter in this but i hope i there is  another one after this have fun guys good luck !!!!!!

Aww. Hang around, and hope to see you in another contest.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, metrokat said:

I was experimenting with copepods. Specifically Tigger pods. Growing them (or trying) in a betta bowl. I thought I gave it all the care but I am clearly doing something wrong because they perish. I've gone through 2 cultures now. With an air stone. Without. With phyto. With spirulina. Nope.

Let me know if you'd like to discuss this.  Not that I'm an expert, but I'm culturing rotifers (and I think there would be some similarities).

• Like 2
1 hour ago, metrokat said:

Alright, I will come clean and not be a ninja anymore.

In sharp contrast, I put a small tuft of chaeto in the same bowl (after the pods died), it wasn't a healthy tuft to begin with. But 2-3-4 weeks later, with this beta bowl sitting close to the windows and doing absolutely nothing - no top off, no feeding, nothing. The chaeto grew.

So maybe the experiment started out as a copepod culture and turned into "chaeto is an alien"? :D

Aww. Hang around, and hope to see you in another contest.

Chaeto might be an alien!  Next step is to turn said betta bowl into a reef bowl.  Right? :lol:

I'm holding out hope for a pico contest maybe in the fall or something.  How fun would that be?

• Like 3
22 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

Chaeto might be an alien!  Next step is to turn said betta bowl into a reef bowl.  Right? :lol:

I'm holding out hope for a pico contest maybe in the fall or something.  How fun would that be?

Natural light reef bowl? Then we can all ride the struggle bus together!

• Like 5
29 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

A lot of fun!

33 minutes ago, seabass said:

Let me know if you'd like to discuss this.  Not that I'm an expert, but I'm culturing rotifers (and I think there would be some similarities).

Sure.

I was getting advice directly from Reef Nutrition, I was using their pods. I've kept tisbe quite successfully so I was hoping Tiggerpods would be similar.

34 minutes ago, metrokat said:

I was getting advice directly from Reef Nutrition, I was using their pods. I've kept tisbe quite successfully so I was hoping Tiggerpods would be similar.

Yeah, you would think.  I can't imagine I could add more than Reef Nutrition suggested.  Still, I'd be interested in what you tried.  Let me know if you start a thread on the subject.  Sounds intriguing.

• Like 2
  • Christopher Marks unpinned this topic