Innovative Marine Aquariums

100 Days of Nanos - An Official Nano-Reef Contest

metrokat

3 minutes ago, seabass said:

The goal would be similar.  Categories might include things like:

• best overall, best aquascape, most frugal (same as last time)
  • most creative
  • most innovative
  • best use of space

IDK, could be anything.  The last contest wasn't necessarily about lighting, NPS, SPS, or even growth.  It was about creating a tank within a particular time frame.  This one would still be within a particular time frame and restricted in size (to a pico).

I agree.

I'm gonna start looking for unique small glass bowls/containers now when I'm at garage sales, thrift stores, and antique shops.  Just in case :D.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, metrokat said:

Hello from MACNA. 

I spoke to Hagen, they own Fluval. The Evo 5 or any of their nano/pick tanks will work out for the next contest. I can help with facilitating a discount.

Lifeguards' new angled front tanks are good too. 5 g and 7 g sizes. The 5 gallon doesn't come with a back chamber but the 7 does. And it comes with a light media, a little bitty fishing net and an algae scraper. You can check the kit  price on Marine Depot. I can facilitate a discount there as well.

I looked at the Lifegard tank on Marine Depot's site.  It's a neat looking tank.  If there is a structured contest, that would be a good choice, I think.  But I still like the idea of having an open choice.  Is the Lifegard angled tank nice in person?  If they have one at MACNA to see, of course.

2 hours ago, gena said:

I looked at the Lifegard tank on Marine Depot's site.  It's a neat looking tank.  If there is a structured contest, that would be a good choice, I think.  But I still like the idea of having an open choice.  Is the Lifegard angled tank nice in person?  If they have one at MACNA to see, of course.

Somebody on NR has one. I'll see if I can find the thread

There was a pico methodology contest some years back.  No restriction on budget.  I think that may have been the one that sparked a sunlit pico.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Pjanssen said:

That's a cute little tank.  I'd like to see one in person to see the quality.  Hopefully it's as good as an Innovative Marine tank.  I love those.   Maybe the company will be at RAP in California and I can take a look in person :).

All 3 are very much deserving their wins! This was enjoyable for me to watch, as it has just begun when I joined up...

Everyone did an amazing job and congrats to everyone involved! omgomgomg

• Like 4
18 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

Final 100 Days of Nanos Poll Results - Congratulations The Winners!

• Best Overall - Pjanssen
  • Best Aquascape - Stellablue
  • Most Frugal - lkoechle

Keep an eye out for a message from @metrokat this week with more information about claiming your prizes!

Thank you to everyone who participated in the 100 Days of Nanos contest, and special thanks to @metrokat and @jedimasterben for hosting the contest, as well as to our sponsors for their generous prize donations and support! Bonus prizes are up next, Kat will be putting together a discussion for those soon :) 

I suspect this won't be the last build contest this year, stay tuned for future pico announcements this fall!

Congrats to the winners!  Everyone did such an awesome job! :grouphug:

Will the pico announcements be in really tiny type? :lol:

• Like 5
  • Haha 7
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/26/2017 at 10:17 AM, seabass said:

I'll suggest this, then let it go.  This last contest was very structured, which was great; but I'd personally like to see it changed up a bit (where it wasn't so regulated).  It's not like we are running a controlled experiment.  Sure, if some people want to use a Fluval, then that would be fine.  If someone wants to use a goldfish bowl, that would be cool too.  I'd love to see someone get creative (like maybe just using natural sunlight).  This might also take the initial cost out of the picture for some, and also available space.  Shot glass reef anyone?

This would make it much more doable for me as well.

On 8/22/2017 at 1:54 PM, metrokat said:

Now that you mention it.... :ninja:

I was chatting about this with CM while he was creating the poll thread and posting the contest summary. I was wondering if now would be a good time to segue into a pico contest. He suggested and I agreed that a bit of a break before a pico contest would be best. Could have different contest rules

First, the same as this contest - requiring the same tank/equipment/budget and then letting contestants have free reign for stocking.

OR The contestants are required to get the same livestock, keep them alive, keep them thriving.

OR Everyone gets the same equipment AND livestock

Be happy to help anybody that wishes to host the contest. Would be great to involve pico experts like Brandon, @el fabuloso @Newman @pj86 @natalia_la_loca @SeaFurn etc

Almost missed this, this would be really cool. I would love to see what contestants would do with a pico size aquarium. I can possibly host, keep me in the loop. 

• Like 4
  • Christopher Marks unpinned this topic