Coral Vue Hydros

100 Days of Nanos - An Official Nano-Reef Contest

metrokat

8 hours ago, stellablue said:

I agree with this. Plus, I think part of the enjoyment of reefing is selecting the livestock you like and fits in your little box of water. For me, being told which livestock to get would take away some of the enjoyment. 

Yea, I have issues with authority as well. I DO NOT like being told what I can and can't do. I say you have a container of X volume, have at it and you can spend X$.

1 hour ago, metrokat said:

Whaaaaat. Nobody wants to grow tiggerpods? Sad Panda. 

How many bazillion of the little beggars do you need?

1 hour ago, Mariaface said:

I would if I could, but I have no faith in my ability to keep them fed :P 

If you can grow algae, you can grow podz0rz.

• Like 2
Just now, StinkyBunny said:

If you can grow algae, you can grow podz0rz.

You think you're funny, but I CAN'T GROW ALGAE

THE FUSION HAS NO ALGAE

THE CONTEST TANK'S PEST CAULERPA IS DYING

Basically I can only keep succulents in real life.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6
1 minute ago, Mariaface said:

THE FUSION HAS NO ALGAE

Do Kat and I have to come over an skool you in algae? I will. :P  I need a good NYC pizza fix, the shit we get here is horrid.

• Haha 2
7 minutes ago, StinkyBunny said:

Do Kat and I have to come over an skool you in algae? I will. :P  I need a good NYC pizza fix, the shit we get here is horrid.

I just can't keep nitrates up!!

Phosphates, on the other hand.. :unsure:

• Like 2
25 minutes ago, Mariaface said:

THE FUSION HAS NO ALGAE

@Mariaface we need to start a no algae club! I've never been able to keep any for more than a month or two. 

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Mariaface said:

THE FUSION HAS NO ALGAE

I can't keep succulents.... Makes me wonder why I got into this hobby 

• Haha 5
On 8/22/2017 at 2:51 PM, seabass said:

I often thought it would be neat to have a pico contest where the tank was a repurposed item (like a coffee pot, mason jar, lemonade pitcher, flower vase, blender, etc).  Everyone would pick their own item, and the only restriction would be less than 3 gallons of water total.  It would be cool to see what people came up with.

I like this idea, I could see some people getting really creative. I am now looking at my blender in a whole new light... lol

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
8 hours ago, Coral_chef said:

I can't keep succulents.... Makes me wonder why I got into this hobby 

The trick is to get them when you know you can water them daily for a month and a half, then every other day for three months, then twice a week, then once a week, etc. But seedlings and cuttings can only handle going dry for so long (aka not long). And slowly bringing down frequency prompts them to strengthen their roots.

Once they grow a root system, and really get it into the nooks and crannies of the soil they're in, they're invincible. I drown the soil when I water it, and since it's quick-draining soil with extra vermiculite or whatever, it holds just enough water and the extra will drain out completely.

• Like 2

Hello from MACNA. 

I spoke to Hagen, they own Fluval. The Evo 5 or any of their nano/pick tanks will work out for the next contest. I can help with facilitating a discount.

Lifeguards' new angled front tanks are good too. 5 g and 7 g sizes. The 5 gallon doesn't come with a back chamber but the 7 does. And it comes with a light media, a little bitty fishing net and an algae scraper. You can check the kit  price on Marine Depot. I can facilitate a discount there as well.

• Like 4
  • Wow 1
3 minutes ago, metrokat said:

Hello from MACNA. 

I spoke to Hagen, they own Fluval. The Evo 5 or any of their nano/pick tanks will work out for the next contest. I can help with facilitating a discount.

Lifeguards' new angled front tanks are good too. 5 g and 7 g sizes. The 5 gallon doesn't come with a back chamber but the 7 does. And it comes with a light media, a little bitty fishing net and an algae scraper. You can check the kit  price on Marine Depot. I can facilitate a discount there as well.

Hope you have no issues from Harvey while you're down there.

I love the look of the new angled front tank. (But I will not be participating in this one).

• Like 2
1 hour ago, metrokat said:

Hello from MACNA. 

The angled tanks are neat but I'm betting the Evo would have more universal appeal. :happy:

I loved watching the current contest progress, but couldn't participate because of various reasons. It is great to see that another one might be in the works though, because it would be fun to be involved with it. Looking forward to seeing the decision ends up being - thank you to everyone who is working on it!

• Like 3
2 hours ago, metrokat said:

Hello from MACNA. 

I already have the evo 5. so i vote angled tank.   But I am also most likely not participating.

My two cents though: One thing I liked about this contest was its a tank that wasn't popular yet and I thought that was really cool.  The evo tanks are pretty popular with a lot of known workarounds and mods because its pretty much the spec V.  So I would go with something unique and unpopular like the angled tanks. (which look pretty awesome btw)

Or maybe fluvals new tanks that are bowed out.  i dont remember the name, but I thought they looked cool.  A lesser known brand would be cool to advertise though instead of the big guys (like im and fluval).  just thinking out loud. 

On 8/23/2017 at 6:39 PM, Mariaface said:

THE FUSION HAS NO ALGAE

Mine all died.  I am going to try dosing ferriron and see what happens. lol I also took out all "water cleaners" so i pretty much have just filter floss, if that doesn't keep them alive, I am at a loss. lol

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, lkoechle said:

Mine all died.  I am going to try dosing ferriron and see what happens. lol I also took out all "water cleaners" so i pretty much have just filter floss, if that doesn't keep them alive, I am at a loss. lol

Dosing iron will help. Macros really need constant nutrients. If your nitrates get below 5, you'll have issues. I dose iron, nitrates and phosphates since overfeeding honestly is more expensive than dosing. 

• Like 1

I'll suggest this, then let it go.  This last contest was very structured, which was great; but I'd personally like to see it changed up a bit (where it wasn't so regulated).  It's not like we are running a controlled experiment.  Sure, if some people want to use a Fluval, then that would be fine.  If someone wants to use a goldfish bowl, that would be cool too.  I'd love to see someone get creative (like maybe just using natural sunlight).  This might also take the initial cost out of the picture for some, and also available space.  Shot glass reef anyone?

• Like 5
1 hour ago, seabass said:

I'll suggest this, then let it go.  This last contest was very structured, which was great; but I'd personally like to see it changed up a bit (where it wasn't so regulated).  It's not like we are running a controlled experiment.  Sure, if some people want to use a Fluval, then that would be fine.  If someone wants to use a goldfish bowl, that would be cool too.  I'd love to see someone get creative (like maybe just using natural sunlight).  This might also take the initial cost out of the picture for some, and also available space.  Shot glass reef anyone?

I like this idea.  Then I might be able to participate lol

• Like 1
1 hour ago, seabass said:

Good ideas. On the flip side, the pluses to having standardized equipment is we can get deals and it helps support nano reef by supporting sponsors. So that aspect I liked. 

• Like 3
2 hours ago, seabass said:

I love this idea.  Let the creativity flow......

It would definitely make the contest more interesting :D.

• Like 4
3 hours ago, seabass said:

what would be the standard or goal though? like this was all th same equipment.  what would the rules be for this? natural sunlight? nps? sps? lps? pests? etc.  there has to be some goal or something. or else its just nano reef. lol

I think just a spending limit is all that would be needed.  This would allow a lot more people to join if they don't have to buy specific equipment.  Set the rule on maximum gallons...like under 5 or under 7.  Can't spend more than X amount of dollars.  And let people get creative.  I would even get in on that LOL.  That's coming from someone that refuses to have more than one tank :lol:.

I like seeing what people can come up with.  Then the community votes for the one that is their favorite.  It would be like an Art show.  Seeing people's creations.  Anyways, that sounds fun to me.

• Like 5

The goal would be similar.  Categories might include things like:

• best overall, best aquascape, most frugal (same as last time)
  • most creative
  • most innovative
  • best use of space
44 minutes ago, lkoechle said:

what would be the standard or goal though? like this was all th same equipment.  what would the rules be for this? natural sunlight? nps? sps? lps? pests? etc.  there has to be some goal or something. or else its just nano reef. lol

IDK, could be anything.  The last contest wasn't necessarily about lighting, NPS, SPS, or even growth.  It was about creating a tank within a particular time frame.  This one would still be within a particular time frame and restricted in size (to a pico).

I think just a spending limit is all that would be needed.  This would allow a lot more people to join if they don't have to buy specific equipment.  Set the rule on maximum gallons...like under 5 or under 7.  Can't spend more than X amount of dollars.  And let people get creative.  I would even get in on that LOL.  That's coming from someone that refuses to have more than one tank :lol:.

I like seeing what people can come up with.  Then the community votes for the one that is their favorite.  It would be like an Art show.  Seeing people's creations.  Anyways, that sounds fun to me.

I agree.

• Like 5
  • Christopher Marks unpinned this topic