SaltCritters.com

100 Days of Nanos - An Official Nano-Reef Contest

metrokat

Maybe IM is using this contest to get rid of a bunch of krap pumps.... figure people won't be too mad since they paid less for the tank.

IM needs to step up it's game.  This tank goes for $200 bucks normally.  Just for chuckles, I found online sites that sell low iron toughed 6mm glass... I can buy enough to build this tank for $35, and I am not buying in quantity.  So there should be enough room in the budget to upgrade from the $20 retail pump they supply to a $35 or $40 one.  Even less of an excuse to be cheap with the pump on a $350 40 gallon tank.

Don't get me wrong.  I love IM tanks.  I have a 40 and two 14's.  My next tank will likely be a 30L made by IM.  But, there is no excuse for this high failure rate, and for the pumps that don't fail to be so damn loud.  I have my 40 up for 4 months now, and I am having to replace the pump, as it now buzzes and rattles like hell (cleaning did not help).

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, LX20000 said:

Maybe IM is using this contest to get rid of a bunch of krap pumps.... figure people won't be too mad since they paid less for the tank.

IM needs to step up it's game.  This tank goes for $200 bucks normally.  Just for chuckles, I found online sites that sell low iron toughed 6mm glass... I can buy enough to build this tank for $35, and I am not buying in quantity.  So there should be enough room in the budget to upgrade from the $20 retail pump they supply to a $35 or $40 one.  Even less of an excuse to be cheap with the pump on a $350 40 gallon tank.

Don't get me wrong.  I love IM tanks.  I have a 40 and two 14's.  My next tank will likely be a 30L made by IM.  But, there is no excuse for this high failure rate, and for the pumps that don't fail to be so damn loud.  I have my 40 up for 4 months now, and I am having to replace the pump, as it now buzzes and rattles like hell (cleaning did not help).

They could also spend a couple more cents per pump to replace the plastic shaft with a metal one. I bet that would go a long way towards solving many of these issues.

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, LX20000 said:

It might feel like it, but they would never purposely dump bad pumps on something so publicly followed.

• Like 7
10 minutes ago, seabass said:

It might feel like it, but they would never purposely dump bad pumps on something so publicly followed.

That was a joke.... should have put the smiley face in.....

• Like 1
StinkyBunny
On 5/27/2017 at 5:00 PM, stellablue said:

A mandarin will clear those out in probably less than two days. Mine I bought eating frozen and I still spend $80 a month buying pods to keep it happy. And my tank is 55 gallons with a fuge- 

My Scooties LOVE mysis from Brine Shrimp Direct. I also feed them reef plankton from SF Bay brand. I don't turn the circulation pumps off, just down to their lowest setting. Jebao pumps FTW!

On 5/30/2017 at 9:46 PM, spectra said:

I have 2 of those out of an IM 20. I think IM uses the same pump for all the smaller tanks and well all 3 that I have make noise..................I have just come to the realization that there isn't a quiet one out there....................

I looked at the bushings in that train wreck of a pump that IM sent with my IM20 and the damn bushing isn't round which is what I suspect the issue is. For those that aren't going to upgrade the pumps and have a noisy one, you could try cutting small pieces of airline tubing to make a new bushings. Having said that, I bought a DC1200 from Fish Street. I MIGHT get time to fool with the tank Sunday since we're not living in the friggin' rain forest anymore.

• Like 3
coralcousins
17 hours ago, Coral_chef said:

so any pump under 211 gph is good to go now?

Id like to know too, Sicce is pretty expensive. Don't think a $60 dollar pump is in my budget. 

• Like 2
9 hours ago, coralcousins said:

Id like to know too, Sicce is pretty expensive. Don't think a $60 dollar pump is in my budget. 

agreed

• Like 1

damn i had an idea to drill the back false wall. but there is glass behind it. kinda cool that its supported but that messed with my plans. oh well. 

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, SushiYum said:

damn i had an idea to drill the back false wall. but there is glass behind it. kinda cool that its supported but that messed with my plans. oh well. 

Why drill it? 

• Like 3

Anybody think of blocking a part of the overflow to help raise the level in the tank?  I find my 14 to be lower water level than I like...

6 minutes ago, LX20000 said:

Anybody think of blocking a part of the overflow to help raise the level in the tank?  I find my 14 to be lower water level than I like...

I think that I the way IM tanks are..........my 30, 10 and the 14 are all the same way...............yeah I don't like it either...............

• Like 1
14 hours ago, stellablue said:

Why drill it? 

was going to do a floating scape. needed some acrylic rods going through the back for support. oh well. scrapped idea

• Like 4
9 hours ago, SushiYum said:

was going to do a floating scape. needed some acrylic rods going through the back for support. oh well. scrapped idea

Glue the rod to a suction cup.  

• Like 1
StinkyBunny
18 hours ago, SushiYum said:

I think the back wall is acrylic so glue the rod directly to the back wall, no need to drill it and risk breaking it. Right down on route 40 is one of the best plastic suppliers around,I can't think of the name off the top of my head but it use to be Gar-ron plastic. They have all sorts of scrap pieces that you can get whatever you need. You'll want to use the thicker glue in the tube.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, SushiYum said:

Drill rock and use magnets?  I've seen magnet rocks before.

• Like 3

I already got some square acrylic rods off ebay. 

i was gonna hang the rock pretty far out. so magnets would not be able to support all the rock weight.

i might try to bend a 90 degree on the rod and epoxy that to the back wall and cover it with rubble. won't be totally floating, it'll have a base foot. 

its going to need to be pretty strong.

• Like 1

So..... @metrokat and @jedimasterben 

if we have livestock that ether.

1. Dies

2. Decided we don't want in the tank

3. It disappears like my Randifordi goby

Are we allowed to take any of these circumstances out of the livestock budget?

Is it set to everything we have put in the tank 

or everything we have left in the tank?

• Like 4
  • Christopher Marks unpinned this topic