Cultivated Reef

Asureef's Red Sea Reefer + *Frag Tank*

Asureef

I would like to thank everyone who nominated my tank for TOTM. I checked out the nomination thread earlier today and you guys are just way too awesome!!

:D

The story is, Chris contacted me a while back asking to feature my tank. This was about a week after my dosing mishap and my tank has been on a steady decline ever since. Honestly, I felt the current condition of the tank then and still is now, simply isn't "TOTM" worthy. After losing a hand full of SPS, the corals are still not recovering even with the perimeters dailed in. I know many of you guys would like to see this tank get featured, honestly I do too. Hopefully, I can sort this problem out soon.

So, ending the last update of the year with a few new pics.

Thanks again everyone, and Happy New Year!!

img8699cc.jpg

img8738cc.jpg

img8757cc.jpg

img8766cc.jpg

img8741cc2.jpg

img8763cc.jpg

Just stay persistent, the tank will turn around. You obviously have the skills and dedication to get it back to it's former glory. How are the anthias doing? I had an unfortunate mishap with my tank that killed about half of my fish, a few sps frags, and severely stressed some of my larger sps colonies. I've since added a trio of lyretail anthias and a copperband butterfly. They have been in my tank for 3 weeks today anf seem to be doing just fine. All are eating well now on cyclopeeze, frozen mysis, and vitamin enriched brine.

Btw, I think you have the nicest tank on nano reef. I really hope it makes a full recovery :)

Glen, sorry to hear about your lost. My anthias pair is doing fine, the female has just started to take pellets. I feed about 2-3x daily frozen and pellets to keep everyone happy.

I really appreciate the comments and support.

You guys are my inspiration!

Wow, such an amazing tank! After reading every page of this thread, I have been inspired to restart my 20l.

I was in the midst of selling\parting out my tank because all of my fishes disappeared over the time of 2 nights,

and it made me lose motivation.

Your tank gave me motivation to restart and not give up.

Once again, awesome job with the tank! Definitely my favorite tank :)

I am sorry for your problems.

I would just remove the bio-pellets...try other forms of carbon dosing,I prefer doing it by hand.just my advice..

are you still using the bubble magus? and is it the NAC3?? jw cause I actually just picked up this skimmer for my 15g peninsula.

lmk how you liked it. im putting it on a smaller system than you so hopefully it skims some gunk

Wow, such an amazing tank! After reading every page of this thread, I have been inspired to restart my 20l. I was in the midst of selling\parting out my tank because all of my fishes disappeared over the time of 2 nights, and it made me lose motivation. Your tank gave me motivation to restart and not give up. Once again, awesome job with the tank! Definitely my favorite tank :)

Hey Kzv

Glad you were able to find some motivation within this thread. My tank has definitely had its share of ups & downs.

Hello

Your aquarium is really super nice.

By cons How did you seed the dry stones, and how much?

sorry for my english but is not my native language

thank you

Philaqua, thanks for the compliment.

I used Dr. Tim's One & Only nitrifying bacteria when starting up the tank. I believe the tank completed cycle around 2-3 weeks.

The tank will recover Azureef. And we look forward to seeing it get the recognition it deserves.

Thanks metrokat.

:)

I am sorry for your problems.

I would just remove the bio-pellets...try other forms of carbon dosing,I prefer doing it by hand.just my advice..

Yes, I removed the BP reactor beginning of Jan. just to rule out that variable. Though, I'm still not sure rather or not BP had something to do with the tank's issues. To complicate things even more, I picked up on a diff. type of filtration method.

are you still using the bubble magus? and is it the NAC3?? jw cause I actually just picked up this skimmer for my 15g peninsula.

lmk how you liked it. im putting it on a smaller system than you so hopefully it skims some gunk

I still have the BM as backup, but I've been running a Eshopps cone skimmer for a while now. You won't be disappointed with the Nac3, it should perform well.

Asureef I just recently got a 4x24 powermodule and I was wondering if you could help me out by telling me about how high your 6x36 is mounted above the water and the approximate depth for your high light corals. I'm starting to lower the fixture down from about a foot over the tank, but I would really like a reference distance to shoot around so I dont end up frying something in the process.

Asureef I just recently got a 4x24 powermodule and I was wondering if you could help me out by telling me about how high your 6x36 is mounted above the water and the approximate depth for your high light corals. I'm starting to lower the fixture down from about a foot over the tank, but I would really like a reference distance to shoot around so I dont end up frying something in the process.

Hey SDartifex

I had my fixture about 7.5" above the water for awhile, recently I moved up to 8" and was surprised how much of a difference it made. Sps polyps shift in color and tissue are more fluorescent. My tank is only 16" deep and I've been able to keep any sps anywhere high & low. Lps/softy, you probably want them shaded or on the edge. Though, once adjusted they should be able to withstand the light. I have some ricordea that won't open at all out in the open, so I put them under my green pocillopora and they expanded nicely.

• Like 1

I think I'm gonna start with the light around 20" from the sand to start based on what you've told me. My ric's have been noticably less open during the day since the new light, so I'll watch those but so far the rest of the coral seems to be lovin' it.

Thanks for the help Asureef :)

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I know.

Honestly, it will be a few months before I do another FTS, I'll try to throw a few pics here and there soon. I dumped Biopellets and started full Zeovit in beginning of Jan., and one of the ballasts on my t5 fixture went out. The tank was lit with only two bulbs for close to a week and a half while waiting for replacement. Some of the SPS's darkened quite a bit. Tank is becoming more stabilized, SPS are growing again, and I'm just now in the midst of tweaking with zeo supplements. Aftermath of the alk. spike, I did lose a hand full of SPS. You've got to be willing to pay to play right?

img8827cc.jpg

Yeah, I know.

Honestly, it will be a few months before I do another FTS, I'll try to throw a few pics here and there soon. I dumped Biopellets and started full Zeovit in beginning of Jan., and one of the ballasts on my t5 fixture went out. The tank was lit with only two bulbs for close to a week and a half while waiting for replacement. Some of the SPS's darkened quite a bit. Tank is becoming more stabilized, SPS are growing again, and I'm just now in the midst of tweaking with zeo supplements. Aftermath of the alk. spike, I did lose a hand full of SPS. You've got to be willing to pay to play right?

img8827cc.jpg

You sir, have many dead corals.

Sorry to hear about that. I'm sure you'll get it back to the shape it was in. Still love this tank!

You sir, have many dead corals.

Sorry to hear about that. I'm sure you'll get it back to the shape it was in. Still love this tank!

Yeah, it does look like a lot. Though, most of the larger colonies survived and the tank still looks like it does before. Hopefully, it will look fuller in the coming months. ;)

Yeah, I know.

img8827cc.jpg

Oh god!

• 2 weeks later...

Monti vs Porites, who will come out victorious?

img8884cc.jpg

And, after lying dormant for nearly 8 months my PC superman acro I got from Sunny finally starting to show some life. It shipped pretty badly, the original piece died after two days and I managed to save just the two tips as you can see in the picture.

img8883cc.jpg

• Like 1

Im personally rooting for the monti :D Im glad that superman acro is doing well... its an incredible specimen.

Beautiful shots asureef

Thanks, me too. I purposely moved the monti close by to keep the porites in check as it's taking up a good amount of space.