Innovative Marine Aquariums

365 day challenge code name (area 51)

naothan

10 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

Besides the shrimp which should be fine if he eats a couple pellets a day. What else di you have for your clean up crew. 

5 astrea snails 3 blue leg hermit crabs 

you might want to add a very small piece finger nail size of nori for the blue legs. I am talking about pinky size to stat off with rubber band it to a rock or shell for  the blue legs the shrimp might nibble it too.  not sure about the snail but they prob. will go after it. it will give them some greens to much on .

• Like 1
5 hours ago, devaji108 said:

you might want to add a very small piece finder nail size of nori for the blue legs. I am talking about pinky size to stat off with rubber band it to a rock or shell for  the blue legs the shrimp might nibble it too.  not sure about the snail but they prob. will go after it. it will give them some greens to much on .

umm congrats .. lol u just made it the hunger games in my tank ! lol 

• Haha 3

Hey everyone that is following me!.... or ...avoiding me... lol 

so i have entered the contest for picture of the month . 

my camera is to good... so i had to get creative ..also..  hard to capture camouflage, with just a cuc. and a cleaner shrimp.! however that prize light would be a nice addition to my journey into saltwater hobby and the 365 day contest .

your vote would be very much appreciated i am  on a tight budget build . here is the pic i entered. and a alternate view of what was "camouflaged"

thanks so much !!   Nathan    Nova Scotia , Canada  IMG_6968.thumb.jpg.199e9447b1d45ae84cf72a6c3c325647.jpg

IMG_6979.jpg @Clown79 @debbeach13 @Dirté Sanchez @Hingle @kimberbee @NaturallyKait @Ratvan @This guy is extra salty @WV Reefer

• Like 3

a little update , everything seems to be doing just fine. got my first ever fish ! will be doing a bigger update  later tonight with some more pics.  hope u guys, and gals, like !

fish name.  corona. not to offend anyone affected. if offended lighten up 🙂 

IMG_7018.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • 2 weeks later...

upd1.thumb.jpg.efe05257bee72bc2cf92b8bfd25a4dbc.jpgIMG_7047.thumb.jpg.8607b68186fefa62654ca909e0cd0477.jpgIMG_7041.thumb.jpg.eb55f9d18d8885968800d494a7acc105.jpgIMG_7024.thumb.jpg.c488351260b4d098aac2cac32c7778a0.jpg

little update on my tank ....  everything seems alright.  snails don't  seem to enjoy the bright green stuff on rocks ... maby some corline growing on bottom rock ? 

• Like 3

I do like the scape. looks like your Zoas are doing great!

the green is just normal new tank algae always happen even more so with dry white rock.

just gotta let the tank do its thing, but if you want to help it out go can dose some vibrant. that and along with your CUC and dont over feed in a few months you will get through it. 

• Like 1
SaltyGallon

The green's normal, so don't worry about it! I wouldn't tinker with vibrant etc yet, just let it burn out. Too early for coraline I'd say. Often new tanks go through a brown phase, then a green phase - then a nice clean phase - and then you start having to deal with annoying algae like bubble algae! It never ends haha...

Really cool markings and colouration on the clownfish 🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
10 hours ago, Azur said:

The green's normal, so don't worry about it! I wouldn't tinker with vibrant etc yet, just let it burn out. Too early for coraline I'd say. Often new tanks go through a brown phase, then a green phase - then a nice clean phase - and then you start having to deal with annoying algae like bubble algae! It never ends haha...

Really cool markings and colouration on the clownfish 🙂

thanks so much 

• Like 1

soooooooooooo greeennnnn ! 

im very excited to announce that i have a shipment from fragbox.ca for anyone in the Canadian, community. they are shipping and sooooo helpful  if any of you order. let Dillen know area 51 sent you. no im not sponsored but Dillen was outstanding in helping me i will be doing a huge update when the package arrives i ordered a beginner coral pack so have no idea whats inside follow if you arent allready going to be more active as house bound !! thanks nate   

IMG_7209.JPG

• Like 1
ECLS Reefer
2 hours ago, naothan said:

little nervious about the ammonia how and why could it be present 

IMG_7211.jpg

IMG_7214.jpg

IMG_7219.jpg

IMG_7223.jpg

Tanks started with dry rock can cycle for the longest. You will need to do frequent water changes. If anything looks unhappy, and it’s a new change, do a water change. I started my first tank with live rock and live water and when I moved it to a new bigger tank with a bunch of dry rock that wasn’t super aged, it really threw the system off. Started another tank with only dry rock and it took me about 8 months to get it to a steady happy state, a lot of water changes and a lot of microbacter 7. Not sure if you’re still using a bacteria additive or not, but daily dosing of MB7 can help a lot. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

Tanks started with dry rock can cycle for the longest. You will need to do frequent water changes. If anything looks unhappy, and it’s a new change, do a water change. I started my first tank with live rock and live water and when I moved it to a new bigger tank with a bunch of dry rock that wasn’t super aged, it really threw the system off. Started another tank with only dry rock and it took me about 8 months to get it to a steady happy state, a lot of water changes and a lot of microbacter 7. Not sure if you’re still using a bacteria additive or not, but daily dosing of MB7 can help a lot. 

Thanks so much for your time! i do water changes every week 50%. and 2 weeks ago i did a 90%.  i will start microbacter  

• Like 2
ECLS Reefer
14 minutes ago, naothan said:

Thanks so much for your time! i do water changes every week 50%. and 2 weeks ago i did a 90%.  i will start microbacter  

The MB7 will help. Snails usually do leave that green algae on the rocks- the things we want them most to eat they usually ignore ☹️

• Like 1
ECLS Reefer
4 minutes ago, naothan said:

https://petvalu.com/product/scm00684/cycle-nutrafin    will that do in the meantime  till my order of the frits comes at end of month  i live in the woods and my lfs only has that 

Now that kind of question I’m not sure about. That product seems more like a Mr Tims type product that helps you start a cycle. MB7 is sold to be used more as a supplement weekly to keep the bacteria replenished, but I can also be used to start and maintain a cycle. You might as @Tamberav or @Clown79 about that product. It might end up being the same type of thing as MB7 and work just fine but I’d hate to tell you something that would be a waste of money 😬

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

Now that kind of question I’m not sure about. That product seems more like a Mr Tims type product that helps you start a cycle. MB7 is sold to be used more as a supplement weekly to keep the bacteria replenished, but I can also be used to start and maintain a cycle. You might as @Tamberav or @Clown79 about that product. It might end up being the same type of thing as MB7 and work just fine but I’d hate to tell you something that would be a waste of money 😬

thanks so much for investing so much time helping me .

its the only thing i can get right away    thanks 

• Like 1
ECLS Reefer
1 minute ago, naothan said:

thanks so much for investing so much time helping me .

its the only thing i can get right away    thanks 

NP. Tamberav might be slightly hard to reach right now, same for me soon. But Clown and a bunch of others are always on and willing to help!

• Thanks 1