Top Shelf Aquatics

29 gallon: R.E.E.F Tank

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
2 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

I would cycle it since ...idk if it is full of organics or what.

It’s dry rock, so it shouldn’t be. From what I’ve been told you can go ahead and add it straight to the tank. I just like how the bottom is completely flat. I feel like I could make something really cool out of this.

39 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

It’s dry rock, so it shouldn’t be. From what I’ve been told you can go ahead and add it straight to the tank. I just like how the bottom is completely flat. I feel like I could make something really cool out of this.

Um dry rock can be full of organics....so it depends on it's origin and if it was ever used before in a tank and dried again. 

It looks like the fake man made painted rock but idk if it's been used.

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
1 hour ago, Tamberav said:

Um dry rock can be full of organics....so it depends on it's origin and if it was ever used before in a tank and dried again. 

It looks like the fake man made painted rock but idk if it's been used.

No, it’s real rock. It’s just been in a warehouse. I’ve washed it off and threw it in. I redid my aquascape, so hopefully everyone likes it. I actually kinda like it. It’s different. With a bunch of caves.

13 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

No, it’s real rock. It’s just been in a warehouse. I’ve washed it off and threw it in. I redid my aquascape, so hopefully everyone likes it. I actually kinda like it. It’s different. With a bunch of caves.

Real rock painted purple?

• Haha 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak

But if anyone lives in WV or any of the states around WV, just pm me and we could meet up halfway somewhere to do a trade or to sell the rainbow carpet. I most of all just want to find him a really good home where he will stay healthy and alive. I would never trade it to my LFS bc there tanks are in horrible conditions, he would not survive at my LFS.

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
10 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Real rock painted purple?

Well what do you think of it then? Do you like the look of the aquascape? 

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I think that I could make something really neat with the flat part of the rock. I could make some kinda garden, what do you think would look nice right there? What about a rock flower nem garden? Or something else? 

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Well what do you think of it then? Do you like the look of the aquascape? 

For me, I think that you need some more height. I would prefer to mount the rock as a shelf or cut it and get a couple of shelves mounted on the back wall. 

49 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

I think that I could make something really neat with the flat part of the rock. I could make some kinda garden, what do you think would look nice right there? What about a rock flower nem garden? Or something else? 

I would look at getting something that will give you colours and movement, anemone's are a good idea. How about something like a Duncan garden? Like an Anemone garden but cheaper (probably) 

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
19 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

For me, I think that you need some more height. I would prefer to mount the rock as a shelf or cut it and get a couple of shelves mounted on the back wall. 

I would look at getting something that will give you colours and movement, anemone's are a good idea. How about something like a Duncan garden? Like an Anemone garden but cheaper (probably) 

Yea, bc I’m going to be getting rid of that carpet nem, I’ll be able to get a different type of nem. I don’t even have to worry about the long tentacle bc if you look closely in the picture, he is kinda trapped in the back corner so he won’t run around. So I might make a rock flower garden, Idk about a Duncan garden, bc they dont have as many color morphs. But on the other hand, they won’t move.

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I might add some more rock sometime later to raise it higher, but for now I kinda 

like this. I like the open space at the top for my clowns to swim around in. They always go up to the top when I go near the tank.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

No, it’s not painted purple😂

Real rock isn't manufactured in the USA. 😛

It looks fine and totally safe to add to your tank. Not all dry rock is free of debris though....pukani is real ocean rock dried out and sold full of debris and even dead eels have been found dried up inside 🙂

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak

Also, my gold nugget maroon clown has what looks like a bruise or cut in his side down near his tail. I’m thinking that my other clown might’ve caused it. He doesn’t even seem to notice the bruise bc he is still just as vigorous as ever.

Just now, Tamberav said:

It looks fine and totally safe to add to your tank. Not all dry rock is free of debris though....pukani is real ocean rock dried out and sold full of debris and even dead eels have been found dried up inside 🙂

I have cleaned the rock and made sure that all the debris was out before adding it to the tank. 

11 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Yea, bc I’m going to be getting rid of that carpet nem, I’ll be able to get a different type of nem. I don’t even have to worry about the long tentacle bc if you look closely in the picture, he is kinda trapped in the back corner so he won’t run around. So I might make a rock flower garden, Idk about a Duncan garden, bc they dont have as many color morphs. But on the other hand, they won’t move.

I've seen quite a few colour morphs around my local area, also they appear different under different light settings which is cool. Obviously LFS and Online shops vary 

Like the "table" idea for the shelf

1 hour ago, Tamberav said:

Rip eel :c

• Sad 2
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
1 hour ago, Ratvan said:

I've seen quite a few colour morphs around my local area, also they appear different under different light settings which is cool. Obviously LFS and Online shops vary 

Like the "table" idea for the shelf

Yea I’ll look around, I just want something that will give me bright colors in the tank. Something to pop. 

NoOneLikesADryTang

Zoas are pretty easy, and you can frag them fairly easily and almost always trade them for a different type of zoa from someone in your area. They come in just about any color you can imagine, and are fairly cheap to get started. 

Also, they're friendly with other corals, so you wouldn't have to worry about coral warfare if you add other things at a later date. 

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
21 minutes ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

Zoas are pretty easy, and you can frag them fairly easily and almost always trade them for a different type of zoa from someone in your area. They come in just about any color you can imagine, and are fairly cheap to get started. 

Also, they're friendly with other corals, so you wouldn't have to worry about coral warfare if you add other things at a later date. 

I do have one frag of nirvana zoas and blue people eaters on my frag rack. I could start with them. Should I propagate them and glue them on the rock, or just glue the frag? I would rather just glue the frag. They don’t seem to be making more zoas at all, on the frag rack, so maybe if I put them in the rock, they would do better? 

8 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

I do have one frag of nirvana zoas and blue people eaters on my frag rack. I could start with them. Should I propagate them and glue them on the rock, or just glue the frag? I would rather just glue the frag. They don’t seem to be making more zoas at all, on the frag rack, so maybe if I put them in the rock, they would do better? 

How are the frags mounted on the plug? If they have rock or tile slide a butter knife into the joint and it'll pop off. 

If stuck direct to plug try and trim it off taking a slither of plug. I've not tried this yet. Waiting on my sump zoas to open up a bit more before I wade in with the knife

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
18 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

How are the frags mounted on the plug? If they have rock or tile slide a butter knife into the joint and it'll pop off. 

If stuck direct to plug try and trim it off taking a slither of plug. I've not tried this yet. Waiting on my sump zoas to open up a bit more before I wade in with the knife

Yea, I wanted to wait a bit. I also need to get some glue for the corals. I haven’t had time to run to the store to get super glue, and the glue meant for corals at my LFS is like 20 bucks for a small container.

• Wow 1