SaltCritters.com

29 gallon: R.E.E.F Tank

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

So I do have an update tho. The little mystery nem has finally come off the snail shell and has found a nice spot on my live rock. I’ll try to get a picture, but he’s kinda hard to see.

6 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Really? I touched the outlet by accident with a wet hand? From what I’ve heard, that is supposed to shock you. And I know what I felt. It hurt

I mean if you hold onto the plug like you should, then no, you probably shouldn't have been shocked, even with a wet hand. That could mean something is wrong with your wiring. 

If you were touching the prongs, you would be shocked whether or not your hand was wet. If you were dripping wet, overshot the plug, had your hand *right* up against the outlet, water dripping in, then yeah, the water probably would have acted like a conductor and shocked you. 

Another example of you needing to be more damn careful... 🤦‍♀️

• Like 2
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
Just now, kimberbee said:

I mean if you hold onto the plug like you should, then no, you probably shouldn't have been shocked, even with a wet hand. That could mean something is wrong with your wiring. 

If you were touching the prongs, you would be shocked whether or not your hand was wet. If you were dripping wet, overshot the plug, had your hand *right* up against the outlet, water dripping in, then yeah, the water probably would have acted like a conductor and shocked you. 

Another example of you needing to be more damn careful... 🤦‍♀️

It was an accident and yes I accidentally touched the prongs. I was trying to be in a hurry and I messed up. 

Here’s a picture but it’s horrible. He’s hiding behind a ledge of rock. It really hard to see him.

1DE49BE4-F569-46C3-9F32-3B97432A5A9C.jpeg

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
10 hours ago, wiigelec said:

Do yourself and your future children a favor and GET A GFCI!

Yea, I should probably invest in one of those

3 hours ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Yea, I should probably invest in one of those

Wait, is none of your equipment plugged into a surge protector? Just a simple power strip with a on/off/reset switch? 

Also your tank is looking much better. Keep at it but don't rush into anything. Slow and steady wins the race in this game. 

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
4 minutes ago, OverCookedRock said:

Wait, is none of your equipment plugged into a surge protector? Just a simple power strip with a on/off/reset switch? 

Also your tank is looking much better. Keep at it but don't rush into anything. Slow and steady wins the race in this game. 

Ok thank you. I have most of my equipment plugged into one of these things. This is a surge protector right?

7C6C0395-00BB-43ED-88B8-475BA581C923.png

• Like 1

I use a GFCI and an american DJ power strip with individual on/off switches for each plug. It is nice and handy. 

I don't use surge protection. It just turns everything off in a power spike from say a storm or something... meh. 

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
4 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

I use a GFCI and an american DJ power strip with individual on/off switches for each plug. It is nice and handy. 

I don't use surge protection. It just turns everything off in a power spike from say a storm or something... meh. 

I have never had any problems and I used to run my tank without any surge protection. I mainly started using them bc I needed more outlets to plug stuff into😂

2 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

I have never had any problems and I used to run my tank without any surge protection. I mainly started using them bc I needed more outlets to plug stuff into😂

You want something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Plug-In-GFCI-Adapter-3-Wire-Grounding/dp/B00KQI8490

It can save your ass. I had a heater crack in a salt mixing bucket and the jolt traveled up my arm and the thing tripped. Saltwater and power is dangerous. 

It is probably cheaper to buy at a hardware store than online. I think I paid around 10 bucks. 

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
Just now, Tamberav said:

You want something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Plug-In-GFCI-Adapter-3-Wire-Grounding/dp/B00KQI8490

It can save your ass. I had a heater crack in a salt mixing bucket and the jolt traveled up my arm and the thing tripped. Saltwater and power is dangerous. 

Huh, I never knew. Just another thing to add to the long list of things that I want/need😂

51 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Huh, I never knew. Just another thing to add to the long list of things that I want/need😂

Yeah but you're fine for now. It's not NEEDED. 

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
Just now, OverCookedRock said:

Yeah but you're fine for now. It's not NEEDED. 

Ok thanks. I’ll just keep doing what I’m doing. 

1 hour ago, Tamberav said:

DJ power trip is such a solid investment. I have one too. Nice to simply flip a switch for feeding and water changes 

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak

My trachy and massacre jawbreaker just came in today. I’ll get you all some pictures whenever they have been acclimated and are in the tank situated.

1 minute ago, OverCookedRock said:

DJ power trip is such a solid investment. I have one too. Nice to simply flip a switch for feeding and water changes 

Ok, I’ll get one of those next. A refractometer and a DJ power trip.

• Like 2
EthanPhillyCheesesteak

Also my Red Sea test kit just came in. I got it delivered to my grandparents, so I’ll have to run by there and pick it up

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

Also, is it normal for after you kill a bunch of cyano and hair algae off, it begins to come back faster and more of it? 

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

Bc I think some cyano and hair algae died in the tank and it caused a cyano bloom the next day. I already dealt with the cyano bloom, and it’s looking better already.

This was the day after vacuuming the sand bed

jedimasterben
4 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Also, is it normal for after you kill a bunch of cyano and hair algae off, it begins to come back faster and more of it? 

If the nutrients are not physically removed from the system, something will use them up.

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
1 minute ago, jedimasterben said:

If the nutrients are not physically removed from the system, something will use them up.

Oh, so it grew back bc their was still excess nutrients in the water from the other stuff dying?

Well it makes sense

Vacuuming/siphoning cyano is only a temporary fix until root cause is addressed -- shortened light duration, increased flow and decrease feeding should also help... believe lots of other detail was provided by others in your journal. May want to click back.

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
7 minutes ago, pricewayne said:

Vacuuming/siphoning cyano is only a temporary fix until root cause is addressed -- shortened light duration, increased flow and decrease feeding should also help... believe lots of other detail was provided by others in your journal. May want to click back.

Yes, I know. I did click back. I have reduced feeding to twice a week. I have quite a bit of flow in the tank, it’s not causing a sandstorm, but any higher gph would probably cause a sandstorm. I’ve also shortened my lights, it went from 10am to 10 pm, to 12am to 9pm. I’ve listened and have done what you have all told me to do to help my tank. I’m not trying to be one of those Reefers who always have problems and won’t listen to people trying to give help. I’m really trying to listen now. I was hoping that you guys would have finally noticed. 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Yes, I know. I did click back. I have reduced feeding to twice a week. I have quite a bit of flow in the tank, it’s not causing a sandstorm, but any higher gph would probably cause a sandstorm. I’ve also shortened my lights, it went from 10am to 10 pm, to 12am to 9pm. I’ve listened and have done what you have all told me to do to help my tank. I’m not trying to be one of those Reefers who always have problems and won’t listen to people trying to give help. I’m really trying to listen now. I was hoping that you guys would have finally noticed. 

Things have been looking much better. 😊

even pro reefers get cyano......... it just means things are still a little out of balance. If you vacuumed the entire sand bed you may have kicked up too much junk at once.  Maybe do it in sections in the future. 

This is all stuff you learn as you go. No big deal. 🙂 just stay on top of it. 

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

It's looking better, but changes happen slow. I'm no pro and I'm still new to the hobby myself, but it seems the most universally agreed upon aspect of reef keeping is it requires patience. So keep up the good habits 🙂

• Like 2