Pod Your Reef

29 gallon: R.E.E.F Tank

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

So cyano and hair algae have finally been eradicated from the tank. But now I’m dealing with some other kind of algae. It’s a green algae, that is starting to cover the sand like a film and the rocks. It may just be the film algae that I had on my glass, bc it has no competition. It looks like this. But it’s starting to spread rapidly for some reason and I don’t know why. I have to deal with it everyday. I should also have a low amount of nutrients in the tank, bc I feed once every 4 days and I only have 2 clowns and 2 gobies in a 29 gallon. They should not be producing a big bio load. 

45B26064-23C9-440D-92F7-A4F6DFD91AB4.png

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I’m cleaning the sand and glass everyday bc this grows so fast. I deal with two algae problems and then another comes back🤷‍♂️😞

Need a good pic of your tank...not one with heavy blues either.

Cyano can be green. It will be a green mat that can be easily removed or blasted off.

• Like 2
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
35 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Need a good pic of your tank...not one with heavy blues either.

Cyano can be green. It will be a green mat that can be easily removed or blasted off.

It’s not slimy like cyano, I’ll have to get you a picture later when I get home. It’s just like a thin film over almost everything. 

jedimasterben

Your tank will go through the uglies and will look like garbage until one day it just doesn't. Just keep your nutrient export higher than your nutrient import and things will look better eventually.

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
16 minutes ago, jedimasterben said:

Your tank will go through the uglies and will look like garbage until one day it just doesn't. Just keep your nutrient export higher than your nutrient import and things will look better eventually.

That’s what I’m trying to do by the low number of fish and feeding. Hopefully it goes away soon, it’s really unsightly

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

Ok, so at first this algae was just unsightly, but now it’s getting annoying. There is some on my zoas and it’s causing them to close up. How do I get it off? I’ve tried to turkey baster it off, but it won’t come off? Any ideas? And any ideas of what the algae could be? 

image.jpg

image.jpg

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
39 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

I see green cyano on the rocks.

How do I go from a light red cyano, to a almost black cyano, to a green cyano? This is annoying. How do I get it off the zoas also? And if I just wait it out and don’t do anything to the tank except clean it whenever it needs cleaned, will it eventually go away? 

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I think that it’s bc of that darn new rock I added. It started right after I put in that rock.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

I think that it’s bc of that darn new rock I added. It started right after I put in that rock.

Hey I warned ya 🙂 I cycle all my rock in a bin unless its reef cleaners. Can't be too careful in this hobby. 

There are different strains of cyano, probably just different strains taking over. 

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
34 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Hey I warned ya 🙂 I cycle all my rock in a bin unless its reef cleaners. Can't be too careful in this hobby. 

There are different strains of cyano, probably just different strains taking over. 

Yea, but what about the algae on the zoas? What am I supposed to do?

Just now, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Yea, but what about the algae on the zoas? What am I supposed to do?

Brush it off

• Haha 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
16 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Brush it off

I’ve tried to turkey baster them, but that didn’t seem to help. I’ll try to brush it off carefully without annoying the zoas too much

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

So I have a question, that may be very stupid, so don’t be hard on me. What if I completely turned off all colors of the spectrum except for my actinics? Would it help with algae? Bc I heard that most algae needs colors from the spectrum like green and red to survive, so without those colors, would it die off? It’s not permanent, but what if I tried this for a few days? 

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

So I have a question, that may be very stupid, so don’t be hard on me. What if I completely turned off all colors of the spectrum except for my actinics? Would it help with algae? Bc I heard that most algae needs colors from the spectrum like green and red to survive, so without those colors, would it die off? It’s not permanent, but what if I tried this for a few days? 

I guess that would be a blackout with Actinics. If i understand correctly the Actinics have a Low PAR which would impede algae growth.

Not 100% sure though

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
13 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

I guess that would be a blackout with Actinics. If i understand correctly the Actinics have a Low PAR which would impede algae growth.

Not 100% sure though

Ok, sorry if I’m making this more confusing than it actually is. But I’m shutting off all colors of the spectrum except for blue. I have the blues at 40% on my viparspectra and nothing else. I did have all other colors at 25%, but it was just causing algae to grow like crazy. This will only be for a few days, kinda like a little experiment. I also read that corals don’t need the other colors of the spectrum as much as the blue color. Blue is the most important for growth if I’m correct. So do you understand? It might still be confusing

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak

So the blues only seemed to actually work pretty well, I didn’t see any growth of the algae at all. 

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

Can anyone give me any information on a flame streaked box crab? I searched online that they get to about 3 inches, is that correct?