Top Shelf Aquatics

29 gallon: R.E.E.F Tank

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
25 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

Things have been looking much better. 😊

even pro reefers get cyano......... it just means things are still a little out of balance. If you vacuumed the entire sand bed you may have kicked up too much junk at once.  Maybe do it in sections in the future. 

This is all stuff you learn as you go. No big deal. 🙂 just stay on top of it. 

23 minutes ago, pricewayne said:

It's looking better, but changes happen slow. I'm no pro and I'm still new to the hobby myself, but it seems the most universally agreed upon aspect of reef keeping is it requires patience. So keep up the good habits 🙂

Ok thanks👍

What glue can you use to glue down frags? 

Do you have to use glue specifically for an aquarium?

8 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Ok thanks👍

What glue can you use to glue down frags? 

Do you have to use glue specifically for an aquarium?

Lots use either a 2-part epoxy, some sort of reef branded glue or super glue gel. I've found super glue to be easiest to use and my favorite by far.

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
2 minutes ago, pricewayne said:

Lots use either a 2-part epoxy, some sort of reef branded glue or super glue gel. I've found super glue to be easiest to use and my favorite by far.

So super glue won’t hurt anything in the tank?

1 minute ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

So super glue won’t hurt anything in the tank?

I use Loctite super glue gel. Whichever brand or type you use, just be sure it says it contains "cyanoacrylate" and no other additives or ingredients.

Just now, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Would either of these work?

image.jpg

Those are not super glue. That is rubber cement and clear gorilla glue. I would not use those.

• Haha 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
10 minutes ago, pricewayne said:

I use Loctite super glue gel. Whichever brand or type you use, just be sure it says it contains "cyanoacrylate" and no other additives or ingredients.

Those are not super glue. That is rubber cement and clear gorilla glue. I would not use those.

Oh ok, then I’ll have to grab some super glue 

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

There’s also a orange sponge on the bottom of the Trachyphyllia. I love these frags, they really make the tank pop and stand out really well.

082853A2-678C-4041-8F16-78C8B696AC7E.jpeg

0FD76AE4-7E59-4461-BEA6-48798507CB55.jpeg

B911ED2A-3C9D-4FBD-8DD1-9EBBF47E4193.jpeg

• Like 4
2 hours ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

There’s also a orange sponge on the bottom of the Trachyphyllia. I love these frags, they really make the tank pop and stand out really well.

082853A2-678C-4041-8F16-78C8B696AC7E.jpeg

0FD76AE4-7E59-4461-BEA6-48798507CB55.jpeg

B911ED2A-3C9D-4FBD-8DD1-9EBBF47E4193.jpeg

Yesssss a legit Pic bro! Do more pictures like these 😉 looking good otherwise

Also you may benefit from a rock rinse. You may have a lot of gunk in the live rock crevices and holes. 

You can simply fill a bucket of RO water and give them some harsh dunks and shakes. Should free up a lot of gunk. 

If you are vaccuming the sand bed and taking care of everything else I bet that is where your excess nutrients are. I turkey baste my rocks at minimum once a week. 

Otherwise keep it up. 

• Like 1
jedimasterben
22 minutes ago, OverCookedRock said:

Also you may benefit from a rock rinse. You may have a lot of gunk in the live rock crevices and holes. 

You can simply fill a bucket of RO water and give them some harsh dunks and shakes. Should free up a lot of gunk. 

If you are vaccuming the sand bed and taking care of everything else I bet that is where your excess nutrients are. I turkey baste my rocks at minimum once a week. 

Otherwise keep it up. 

Dunking the rocks in anything other than saltwater will actually kill a lot of microfauna on the rocks. Not necessarily bacteria (since those are protected by their films they live in) but things like worms will likely be killed in vast numbers. These all came from dipping a single rock in RO in a failed attempt to kill some Ostreopsis.

IMG_6297.jpg

IMG_6308.jpg

• Like 3
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
1 hour ago, OverCookedRock said:

Otherwise keep it up. 

Ok thank you😁

1 hour ago, jedimasterben said:

Dunking the rocks in anything other than saltwater will actually kill a lot of microfauna on the rocks. Not necessarily bacteria (since those are protected by their films they live in) but things like worms will likely be killed in vast numbers. These all came from dipping a single rock in RO in a failed attempt to kill some Ostreopsis.

IMG_6297.jpg

IMG_6308.jpg

Oh, so not RO water?

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

So it seems as if I have quite a few hitchhikers on my trachy. There’s a bright orange sponge and a bunch of filter feeders. I can’t get a very good picture of them, this is the best that I can get. They are so small.

E7BC8E6E-3867-4ED3-9AF7-5C4E431BAEBE.jpeg

It’s the blur😂

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
1 hour ago, jedimasterben said:

Turn off your blue light to take pictures.

Ok, can you get a camera that you can use to take good pictures in the blues, or is it not possible?

And are the feather dusters ok? 

They won’t harm the coral that they are on?

jedimasterben
8 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Ok, can you get a camera that you can use to take good pictures in the blues, or is it not possible?

Yes, a DSLR, a good lens, and post processing software. And skill.

Yes.

No.

5 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

You should be able to adjust the white balance on your cell phone camera. Or see if you can find an app. I have mine set to 10,000K which removes a lot of the blue from the picture.

I am still using my Samsung Galaxy S4 for my photos.

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
Just now, jedimasterben said:

Yes, a DSLR, a good lens, and post processing software. And skill.

Yes.

No.

Ok thanks

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
Just now, Ratvan said:

You should be able to adjust the white balance on your cell phone camera. Or see if you can find an app. I have mine set to 10,000K which removes a lot of the blue from the picture.

I am still using my Samsung Galaxy S4 for my photos.

Yea, I do adjust it on my phone. But it can never adjust enough to get rid of the bright blue. I’ll just have to try an app. It’s cheap

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I woke up this morning and everything looked really great. The trachy seems hungry. I didn’t realize how long his feeder tentacles can get. His feeders were really out this morning. But I don’t usually feed my corals that I just get in for about a week. 

3 hours ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Take a look at my pics in my thread. Done with a dslr and post edited. 

He can't afford a dslr...lol come on.

You can buy a orange filter for your cell but they still run like 30 bucks and turning down the blues still helps greatly.

• Like 2
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
40 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

He can't afford a dslr...lol come on.

You can buy a orange filter for your cell but they still run like 30 bucks and turning down the blues still helps greatly.

I actually think my cousin has a dslr, I could use his

But I will probably get the lens for my phone also

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

So I finally got my Red Sea test kit in😁

I just measured my calcium and if I’m correct it’s at 400ppm

That’s good correct?

• Like 1