Cultivated Reef

29 gallon: R.E.E.F Tank

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

Snow_Phoenix
22 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

Everything is always reading good, and params are where they're supposed to be.  Yet you have endless problem....

You're "maintaining" an ecosystem, what happened one, two, three weeks ago, is still affecting your tank.  Different tanks take different amount of time to recover from variety of issues.  Try to avoid any new knee-jerk reactions, keep the good routine going, eventually it will work itself out.

also, what @Snow_Phoenix said above, stop giving us the vague "everything is good" statement.  We all know that's not an entire truth, otherwise, you won't keep having problem.  Give everyone the real numbers.  The more this drags on, you'll see people stop providing you recommendations/advice if you don't share proper information.  

Here's my suggestions to you and everyone that contributed to this thread.  We should all hold our advice until @EthanPhillyCheesesteak posts his parameters (real numbers) when/whenever he does his tests, and also post a note on this thread every time he does his tank maintenance.   Otherwise, we can't count on him to be providing us the full picture of his tank problem.  Just my two cents.  I'd love for us as a group to help out this kid, but he's not helping himself.  At this point, if he does what he says he's been doing, it's really only the matter of time for the tank to turn around.  But he certainly should NOT continue to have issues.    

Mitten's right, Ethan. We need a new post - not an 'old' one. And we need the whole list: Ammonia, nitrate, kH, Calcium, Magnesium, Phosphate. 

If you keep hesitating, others will hesitate to help you as well. You've worn down many members of the forum as it is, who have tried endlessly to guide you and help you. Please give us the actual params? And a pic. Pic of the 'sick' fish would be most helpful. 

• Like 2
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
10 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

Mitten's right, Ethan. We need a new post - not an 'old' one. And we need the whole list: Ammonia, nitrate, kH, Calcium, Magnesium, Phosphate. 

If you keep hesitating, others will hesitate to help you as well. You've worn down many members of the forum as it is, who have tried endlessly to guide you and help you. Please give us the actual params? And a pic. Pic of the 'sick' fish would be most helpful. 

I’ll get a picture of the params tonight and I’ll try to get a picture of the fish. He barely comes out as it is. 

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

My test kit for calcium and all of that went past it’s expiration date, so I had to get rid of it. I’m ordering a new one. A reef master test kit again.

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
26 minutes ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

How can you have a completely clear to milky white nitrite? 

Listen man, I don’t even know. I asked about that a while ago in my tank journal and someone said that it happens all the time to him. It’s nothing to worry about he said.

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I actually just went back to see who it was and it was you😂. You just said that you didn’t know why it was white, but you said everything looked good.

Everything else I mean

ECLS Reefer
31 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

I actually just went back to see who it was and it was you😂. You just said that you didn’t know why it was white, but you said everything looked good.

Everything else I mean

You’re right I did say that. And I still can’t explain it. 

• Haha 1

meh, ammonia looks fine. I have never owned Nitrite test kit in my life :whoa: so can't help ya there but I doubt Nitrite is an issue. 

What fish do you have again?

Hiding = could be getting bullied or disease.

• Like 1
jedimasterben
8 hours ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

My test kit for calcium and all of that went past it’s expiration date, so I had to get rid of it. I’m ordering a new one. A reef master test kit again.

don't do it. API kits are awful, neither precise nor really that accurate. I would use Salifert or Elos for simple test kits, they're inexpensive and significantly better.

• Like 2

Consider grabbing a notebook, spiral notepad or journal and dedicate it to your tank to quickly reference and keep track of your water testing. It's pretty difficult to reference back (even if only for your own reference) to tank results, dates or comments in the online journal here. I just think for the amount of effort//time it takes to perform our water tests... it's worth writing results down with a date and time stamp every single time I test. The full history of your tests are incredibly useful in identifying potential issues and understanding your setup's normal parameters. Could also use the journal to notate observations or keep track of coral//fish patterns.

I love updating my online journal on nano-reef and getting feedback from the community here is incredibly helpful -- but something really nice about having my little hand written journal as well 🙂

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
7 hours ago, OverCookedRock said:

Do you still turn your pumps off? What is their gph again? 

I keep one pump on when I’m out, and they are both 800gph. I turn the other back on when I get home and have both running

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
2 hours ago, pricewayne said:

Consider grabbing a notebook, spiral notepad or journal and dedicate it to your tank to quickly reference and keep track of your water testing. It's pretty difficult to reference back (even if only for your own reference) to tank results, dates or comments in the online journal here. I just think for the amount of effort//time it takes to perform our water tests... it's worth writing results down with a date and time stamp every single time I test. The full history of your tests are incredibly useful in identifying potential issues and understanding your setup's normal parameters. Could also use the journal to notate observations or keep track of coral//fish patterns.

I love updating my online journal on nano-reef and getting feedback from the community here is incredibly helpful -- but something really nice about having my little hand written journal as well 🙂

I actually started one last week. I’ve become more frequent with my water changes, so I wanted to keep a journal to tell me each day that I do that and what my salinity and params are at, at the time of changing.

4 hours ago, jedimasterben said:

don't do it. API kits are awful, neither precise nor really that accurate. I would use Salifert or Elos for simple test kits, they're inexpensive and significantly better.

Oh, I didn’t even know about that

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
7 hours ago, Tamberav said:

meh, ammonia looks fine. I have never owned Nitrite test kit in my life :whoa: so can't help ya there but I doubt Nitrite is an issue. 

What fish do you have again?

Hiding = could be getting bullied or disease.

Just have two gobies who are the most friendly and curious things in the tank. I have 2 clowns. And the one dart fish. I don’t know how he could’ve got a disease. Nothing else in the tank is acting different?

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

Here’s some pictures of my tank. Sorry about the actinic picture, it’s hard to get good pictures with that on. I also moved the favia to the frag rack as to try to help him. The cyano and hair algae is mainly on the sand bed, so I tried to put him anywhere else but the sand bed. Please ignore the sides of the glass, they have a tad of algae on them and I will clean them off, but I’m trying to limit putting my hands in the tank. I’m waiting for my algae scraper that I ordered. S

2FABA44C-9A91-45D8-97C1-16C11944E58A.jpeg

215FF3E1-5DCB-487F-B35B-3A034FED933B.jpeg

C2BD50B2-F39D-4E92-8EE4-3A6B4B09D68A.jpeg

1BA7F684-9707-45B2-882D-D796038996A7.jpeg

C1985E9F-6669-4C55-A18A-5AFCA5A9BAD4.jpeg

FD6A7491-6293-48E2-B5C1-B130166E4C7E.jpeg

873C98AF-F4FA-4543-900D-01461FB11AC0.jpeg

• Like 2
jedimasterben

Fill that tank up, jeez! 😂

But seriously, it will help keep the bubbles from both the skimmer and the HOB filter from happening in the tank.

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
2 minutes ago, jedimasterben said:

Fill that tank up, jeez! 😂

But seriously, it will help keep the bubbles from both the skimmer and the HOB filter from happening in the tank.

Oh really? I don’t usually fill it up completely bc I’m afraid of water splashing from the wavemaker onto the floor. I don’t want mildew. I did have a top for my tank, but I accidentally stepped on it and broke it😂

• Haha 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I just want to know from everyone. Is anyone noticing any improvement from when I first started to post pictures on here? I just want to know from your perspectives if it’s getting better.

I definitely don’t see as much cyano in the tank as there used to be, so that’s one improvement 

16 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Hows my long tentacle doing? He’s no longer really white. He’s really blue.

611FA038-2A86-458D-8043-B61C3F849CE8.jpeg

4B0AEB98-3A8D-4646-A109-87CEA1FEE8F5.jpeg

Usually a picture = a 1000 words. Most of your pictures = 4 words. "We have no idea" 😂

hard to tell for me but someone may have a better eye

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
13 minutes ago, jedimasterben said:

It looks significantly healthier than it did a few weeks ago.

Ok, so just keep doing what I’m doing then😁

15 minutes ago, OverCookedRock said:

Usually a picture = a 1000 words. Most of your pictures = 4 words. "We have no idea" 😂

hard to tell for me but someone may have a better eye

Yea, sorry. I’m using an iPad to take pictures and post them on here. It’s an older iPad and the pictures sometimes don’t turn out to be perfect

14 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Ok, so just keep doing what I’m doing then😁

Yea, sorry. I’m using an iPad to take pictures and post them on here. It’s an older iPad and the pictures sometimes don’t turn out to be perfect

Use your fancy iPhone and change the White Balance settings. Many here post some nice pictures with their iPhone 😉 

But yeah I would also fill the tank up so you're not splashing a bunch of bubbles and such 

• Like 1