SaltCritters.com

29 gallon: R.E.E.F Tank

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
44 minutes ago, OverCookedRock said:

Direction of you, not the tank sir. 

We need you to count to 5 and slow/calm down omgomgomglet the positives of your tank be and continue to focus on keeping those positives going. I.e less algae, stability and such. 

Okie dokie

ECLS Reefer

I get the distinct impression you don’t like the advice you’re getting right now because it doesn’t fit your agenda 🤔

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
Just now, Dirté Sanchez said:

I get the distinct impression you don’t like the advice you’re getting right now because it doesn’t fit your agenda 🤔

No it’s fine. I just don’t know what else to say anymore

meh you are making progress 👍 Just keep on it. I am not sure what to do with $100, it doesn't seem like enough for a decent RODI, just short of the $ needed.

Any reason you want to ditch your powerhead? Is it not working out? 

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
2 hours ago, Tamberav said:

meh you are making progress 👍 Just keep on it. I am not sure what to do with $100, it doesn't seem like enough for a decent RODI, just short of the $ needed.

Any reason you want to ditch your powerhead? Is it not working out? 

It’s not a powerhead, might have said it was at one point, but it isn’t. Didn’t know there was a difference between powerheads and wavemaker until a few days ago. It’s just not giving me the kinda flow that I’m looking for. I’ve read good things about the gyres and they seem reasonably priced. Mine also does not have a nem protector. I’m afraid to leave it on when I’m out of the house. I want something that I don’t need to worry about. 

jedimasterben

There is an ATO from some company called Wavereef that is about $65 including the pump. I haven't personally used it, but it's one of the most inexpensive that I've ever seen.

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
3 minutes ago, jedimasterben said:

There is an ATO from some company called Wavereef that is about $65 including the pump. I haven't personally used it, but it's one of the most inexpensive that I've ever seen.

Hmmmmm, maybe. Still thinking that it isn’t the most important thing tho

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
17 minutes ago, OverCookedRock said:

If you're home everyday or every other you are the ATO lol

Yea, that’s why it’s not super important. Just feels like a waste of 100 bucks right now, when there is stuff that I actually need. 

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

This is going to be so hard for me tho. I’m going to myrtle beach and they are going to have a ton of LFS stores around there. I just need to control myself and not buy any livestock or anything I truly dont need.

• Like 2

Is it a day trip? How would you preserve livestock? Don't, you need more flow and such. 

Also i was there once. Being 17 with a hole burning in my pocket. I wish I could go back in time and yell at myself 😂

Get yourself a bad ass wave maker. Your tank needs flow. I didn't realize it was off part of the day. 

Get a jaebo or something and then once your tank is doing much better you got some cash left over for coral 😉

Snow_Phoenix
33 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

This is going to be so hard for me tho. I’m going to myrtle beach and they are going to have a ton of LFS stores around there. I just need to control myself and not buy any livestock or anything I truly dont need.

Just window-shop. You can take a lot of pics and always look back on them - that's what I do. LFSes will always have things you'd like/love to have, but it won't be the last animal you see. Concentrate on getting the tank stable and running as smoothly as possible for now. If you're too worried you'll buy something, only carry limited money with you whenever you enter the store. That way you won't be able to purchase anything, even if you wanted to very badly. 

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
32 minutes ago, OverCookedRock said:

Is it a day trip? How would you preserve livestock? Don't, you need more flow and such. 

Also i was there once. Being 17 with a hole burning in my pocket. I wish I could go back in time and yell at myself 😂

Get yourself a bad ass wave maker. Your tank needs flow. I didn't realize it was off part of the day. 

Get a jaebo or something and then once your tank is doing much better you got some cash left over for coral 😉

Yea, I might get a jaebo, but do they have nem protectors? 

I’ll be there for 3 days, but I would pick the livestock up as I’m leaving 

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
33 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

Just window-shop. You can take a lot of pics and always look back on them - that's what I do. LFSes will always have things you'd like/love to have, but it won't be the last animal you see. Concentrate on getting the tank stable and running as smoothly as possible for now. If you're too worried you'll buy something, only carry limited money with you whenever you enter the store. That way you won't be able to purchase anything, even if you wanted to very badly. 

Yea, I’ll try that.

I may grab me a little something small for a reward😂

Those foam guards and mesh are garbage imo and clog too much. 

These guys are UK based but ship to the USA. They 3D print nem guards including ones for the newest Jaebo OW25 which is a controllable powerhead in your price range.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=370531353489544&id=249361675606513&anchor_composer=false

I would contact them about getting a proper nem guard.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Yea, I’ll try that.

I may grab me a little something small for a reward😂

If I may, I'm a lot like yourself. I'm an impulse buyer but I know I really need to curb it or I'll hurt more than just my wallet. 

For your trip take your list of needs and priorities with you to the LFS. Window shop and take photos as others have said.

It's where I make adjustments to my crappy mobile camera so i can figure out how to take good pictures of my own tanks. When you're done get something from the priority list if it is in stock and affordable. 

I find that I holiday shop for my tanks so I will get souvenirs like a 10G container that has the place name/famous monument picture on it. It's now my mixing tub for saltwater, I want a cheap heater and pump for it. I want to permanently mount these and work on a alarm system so I can pour water in and pump it into my tanks without opening the lid. So it'll need vents as well.

I ventured off my point, you can have fun being impulsive for things that'll help you and your system.

I'll be doing the same next week. Access to an amazing array of marine livestock in the country with access to a delivery system that I can book slots on my chosen date

• Like 2
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
8 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Those foam guards and mesh are garbage imo and clog too much. 

These guys are UK based but ship to the USA. They 3D print nem guards including ones for the newest Jaebo OW25 which is a controllable powerhead in your price range.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=370531353489544&id=249361675606513&anchor_composer=false

I would contact them about getting a proper nem guard.

Hmm, thank you. Do you think that the jaebo is better? Or the gyre flow from icecap?

jedimasterben

The Jebao pumps, for the most part, are perfectly fine. Strong flow and are controllable. Just keep in mind that their longevity simply may not be there (or it could last 20 years, who knows).

2 hours ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Hmm, thank you. Do you think that the jaebo is better? Or the gyre flow from icecap?

I have the maxspect gyre...I liked it in my 75g and do run it in my 22g but the parts on it seem to wear out faster than my vortech and it's a pain to clean. 

I havn't tried the new jaebos but the old ones flow was good....as Jedi said... some last years and some crap out.

I am looking for new pumps for my 21g and don't feel like breaking the bank and torn between two Jaebo OW25 and two Tunze 6025. The tunze are not controllable but I have access to replacement parts and more reliability. Years ago I used koralias which were not controllable and they worked fine... so technically for me....control isn't a necessity but it's nice to have.

I mostly just mentioned the jaebo because they make a nice nem guard for it. 

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
On 4/13/2019 at 2:08 PM, Tamberav said:

I have the maxspect gyre...I liked it in my 75g and do run it in my 22g but the parts on it seem to wear out faster than my vortech and it's a pain to clean. 

I havn't tried the new jaebos but the old ones flow was good....as Jedi said... some last years and some crap out.

I am looking for new pumps for my 21g and don't feel like breaking the bank and torn between two Jaebo OW25 and two Tunze 6025. The tunze are not controllable but I have access to replacement parts and more reliability. Years ago I used koralias which were not controllable and they worked fine... so technically for me....control isn't a necessity but it's nice to have.

I mostly just mentioned the jaebo because they make a nice nem guard for it. 

Yea, I think that I’m gonna get a jaebo.

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I just got back from the beach, and I’m so surprised how my tank looks. It actually looks good. There’s not too much algae, and everything seems fine. I guess not putting my hands in the tank for a week actually did some good😂

• Like 1
Just now, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

I just got back from the beach, and I’m so surprised how my tank looks. It actually looks good. There’s not too much algae, and everything seems fine. I guess not putting my hands in the tank for a week actually did some good😂

Exactly! 😊