Innovative Marine Aquariums

29 gallon: R.E.E.F Tank

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

ECLS Reefer

Ethan, you keep saying you're willing to take the advice given to you on this forum, and that you're listening. However, your intention to listen and follow only seems to last about 12 hours at most. Everybody is asking you to please have patience, and work on the CURRENT filtration setup, and get that to work, while not adding anything new to your tank. Every day you have a new idea for adding something else to the tank, whether livestock or pieces and parts. The most annoying and beautiful truth in these systems, which is hard even for me, is that they take PATIENCE. It kills me to stand back and do nothing, though at the end of the day it's something of a relief to me, having not fussed over the tank that day. You've got to learn to stand back and let the filtration you put in work. Quit fussing. Quit coming up with this and that idea. Have some faith--just make the updates on how things look WITH PICTURES, every day, and let the experienced reefers help you. But you need to lay off trying to micromanage your tank into submission. It's not going to behave that way for you--that's not the nature of these systems. 

Everyone, you included, is frustrated because they're trying to tell you to sit on your hands and do nothing for like a solid week, changing ONLY the media filters if needed and doing your water changes and siphon. That's it. I can tell it's going to eat you alive to do this, but seriously- people are going to stop offering you help if you don't actually do what they're advising, which is husband your media and change water, siphon sand, and THAT'S IT. 

Can you try that, without new ideas and wanting to add critters to the tank, for like a week? And nobody cares about whether the pictures are beautiful or not. I have filters and apps on my phone and yet I still can't turn out the gorgeous pictures of others, but then that's not the point of my tank, or the pictures I'm posting. They're a guide, for getting advice in your case. So post those pictures, but not ideas!!! Keep cleaning the tank the tedious way, by hand, water change, siphon vac. Do your parameter testing. Change out the filter media as needed. Nothing else, for a week. Okay?

• Like 6
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
5 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

What you left out is your detailed routine maintenance! ALL OF YOUR ALGAE ISSUES are indicative of poor maintenance.  How often do you clean your aqua clear filter, and refresh/clean the media? How much and often do you do water change?  So again, get the basics. And read all the TOTM!! If you want to be successful, read what successful people do, don’t just hang out in your own thread. Go read TOTM features and Pick one that resonates with you, and outline your future maintenance plan. You have all the equipment to run a decent tank. It’s your laziness or lack of commitment that is the issue here. 

Link to TOTM: https://www.nano-reef.com/featured/

I just got the aquaclear filter. Planning to clean once a week and change filter pads every week or more. Or just clean the pads. 

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
5 hours ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

Ethan, you keep saying you're willing to take the advice given to you on this forum, and that you're listening. However, your intention to listen and follow only seems to last about 12 hours at most. Everybody is asking you to please have patience, and work on the CURRENT filtration setup, and get that to work, while not adding anything new to your tank. Every day you have a new idea for adding something else to the tank, whether livestock or pieces and parts. The most annoying and beautiful truth in these systems, which is hard even for me, is that they take PATIENCE. It kills me to stand back and do nothing, though at the end of the day it's something of a relief to me, having not fussed over the tank that day. You've got to learn to stand back and let the filtration you put in work. Quit fussing. Quit coming up with this and that idea. Have some faith--just make the updates on how things look WITH PICTURES, every day, and let the experienced reefers help you. But you need to lay off trying to micromanage your tank into submission. It's not going to behave that way for you--that's not the nature of these systems. 

Everyone, you included, is frustrated because they're trying to tell you to sit on your hands and do nothing for like a solid week, changing ONLY the media filters if needed and doing your water changes and siphon. That's it. I can tell it's going to eat you alive to do this, but seriously- people are going to stop offering you help if you don't actually do what they're advising, which is husband your media and change water, siphon sand, and THAT'S IT. 

Can you try that, without new ideas and wanting to add critters to the tank, for like a week? And nobody cares about whether the pictures are beautiful or not. I have filters and apps on my phone and yet I still can't turn out the gorgeous pictures of others, but then that's not the point of my tank, or the pictures I'm posting. They're a guide, for getting advice in your case. So post those pictures, but not ideas!!! Keep cleaning the tank the tedious way, by hand, water change, siphon vac. Do your parameter testing. Change out the filter media as needed. Nothing else, for a week. Okay?

Ok, I can do that😞. God this hobby can be addicting at times

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
5 hours ago, Tamberav said:

I love macro algae in the display, it is beautiful. However if the tank is imbalanced, pest algae will grow on the macro and try to smother it. Macro seems to do amazing at keeping nutrients down when established in a balanced tank but can't out compete GHA, especially frags of it you would start with.

It may be something to consider once your tank is balanced to add color and let grow into colonies to help keep the tank clean. It sort of needs to get there first though. 

Don't toss the sand out, the new stuff will eventually get dirty too.

Do you have a aquarium vaccume? https://www.amazon.com/Aqueon-Aquarium-Siphon-Cleaner-10-Inch/dp/B004RK405A/ref=sr_1_14?keywords=gravel+siphon&qid=1554750408&s=gateway&sr=8-14

If not you need one.... and a turkey baster.... and a glass scraper. That is all I use to manually clean my tank. Maybe a cheap toothbrush and tweezers once and awhile to remove a pest. 

This is what I do:

Water change once a week and clean sand during

Scrape glass 2-3 times a week

Change floss 2-3 times a week

Turkey baste rocks twice a week depending how its looking

Don't really have to put hands in tank for most of that btw... more or less just changing media and stirring things up so the filter can catch it. 

Once a month I clean the pumps/filters ect... remove and scrub with toothbrush and vinegar. 

I need to get a aquarium vacuum. They have one at my LFS for like 15 or 20 bucks, I’ll grab that. I use a turkey baster, but have not gotten the algae scraper yet. Been using a old credit card that actually works very well.

On 4/8/2019 at 10:18 AM, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Oh ok, well that’s good to know

Wish I could afford a 10

Dude you have one of the best mobile cameras on the planet..... I don't like Apple whatsoever but I'll give them credit for their cameras. 

Ya know, even the standard 17y/o knows they're iPhone has a good camera....

Check it out Sandwichboi, 

Do us all (and yourself) a favor. 

Don't post anything new until you have something good to show us. 

I'm gonna say what I bet a lot of others want to but won't. 

If I were you I'd take some livestock back and really figure out what you want your reef to look like and be. Because despite 17 f-ing pages of people telling you how to properly reef, I don't believe you are any closer to success. 

If I were you I would accept that, and fix the issues in the manner people have told you to and stop deflecting. There's 17pages of documented "Ethanisms" and it's not looking good. 

Go and read other people's threads, see how they do their builds or how people have fixed their issues.

At this point I feel like your NR's problem child🙄

Edited by OverCookedRock
I was a little mean..
  • Like 1
ECLS Reefer
24 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Ok, I can do that😞. God this hobby can be addicting at times

Yes, it can. But over- management is just as bad for it as putting too much livestock in the tank. Give your stuff time to actually work and do it’s job. Post pictures so people can keep track of it. Restrain yourself and your wallet!! Hang in there.

Idk what shit set up means but his tank should grow easy corals fine with proper maintenance.

2 hours ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

I need to get a aquarium vacuum. They have one at my LFS for like 15 or 20 bucks, I’ll grab that. I use a turkey baster, but have not gotten the algae scraper yet. Been using a old credit card that actually works very well.

15-20 bucks is a lot. Do you have a Petco or something cheaper? Maybe a walmart?

https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/fish/fish-tank-cleaning/gravel-vacuums/aqueon-siphon-vacuum-aquarium-gravel-cleaner-medium

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Aqua-Culture-Regular-Gravel-Vacuum-Cleaner/13424303

I think this should be your next priority to buy. Also don't clean the aquaclear pads....replace them with floss. You can never get them clean enough to be worth it imo.

100% Polyester will work for a budget: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Poly-Fil-Supreme-Ultra-Plush-Fiberfill-12-Oz/17808686

What state are you in? I honestly have so much extra crap I would give away if I could lol

• Like 5
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
10 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Idk what shit set up means but his tank should grow easy corals fine with proper maintenance.

15-20 bucks is a lot. Do you have a Petco or something cheaper? Maybe a walmart?

https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/fish/fish-tank-cleaning/gravel-vacuums/aqueon-siphon-vacuum-aquarium-gravel-cleaner-medium

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Aqua-Culture-Regular-Gravel-Vacuum-Cleaner/13424303

I think this should be your next priority to buy. Also don't clean the aquaclear pads....replace them with floss. You can never get them clean enough to be worth it imo.

100% Polyester will work for a budget: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Poly-Fil-Supreme-Ultra-Plush-Fiberfill-12-Oz/17808686

What state are you in? I honestly have so much extra crap I would give away if I could lol

I live in WV. The nearest petco is about an hour away. I can check Walmart tho. The aquaclear came with the foam insert, a carbon pouch, and the media that I put in the pouch. I followed the directions inside the box.

DSFIRSTSLTWATER
23 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

I live in WV. The nearest petco is about an hour away. I can check Walmart tho. The aquaclear came with the foam insert, a carbon pouch, and the media that I put in the pouch. I followed the directions inside the box.

So, basically, you'll want to take the foam insert out and replace with the polyfill that tamberav linked. Since you'll change it 2-3 times a week it's a lot cheaper and easier. You just pull some out and stick it in the filter. In a couple days when it gets dirty pull it out and put some new fill in. Easy peasy

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
12 hours ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

Yes, it can. But over- management is just as bad for it as putting too much livestock in the tank. Give your stuff time to actually work and do it’s job. Post pictures so people can keep track of it. Restrain yourself and your wallet!! Hang in there.

I’m not going to do anything for a few weeks, except clean the tank and feed. I’m also going to post a picture of my tank every single day. Starting tonight whenever I get home.

1 minute ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

So, basically, you'll want to take the foam insert out and replace with the polyfill that tamberav linked. Since you'll change it 2-3 times a week it's a lot cheaper and easier. You just pull some out and stick it in the filter. In a couple days when it gets dirty pull it out and put some new fill in. Easy peasy

Alright, I’ll get some of those. I think that my LFS has some.

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
12 hours ago, OverCookedRock said:

Dude you have one of the best mobile cameras on the planet..... I don't like Apple whatsoever but I'll give them credit for their cameras. 

Ya know, even the standard 17y/o knows they're iPhone has a good camera....

Check it out Sandwichboi, 

Do us all (and yourself) a favor. 

Don't post anything new until you have something good to show us. 

I'm gonna say what I bet a lot of others want to but won't. 

You have a shit setup my friend. It's honestly just not a good setup whatsoever and your obvious lack of knowledge is not helping. 

If I were you I'd take some livestock back and really figure out what you want your reef to look like and be. Because despite 17 f-ing pages of people telling you how to properly reef, I don't believe you are any closer to success. 

If I were you I would accept that, and fix the issues in the manner people have told you to and stop deflecting. There's 17pages of documented "Ethanisms" and it's not looking good. 

Go and read other people's threads, see how they do their builds or how people have fixed their issues.

At this point I feel like your NR's problem child🙄

I feel like this was totally not appropriate. I don’t deserve for my tank to get called shit setup. I’ve seen tanks a lot worse than mine.

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I’ve been taking pictures with that camera as well as editing them. They are always really blue and blurry most of the time

DSFIRSTSLTWATER
5 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

I’ve been taking pictures with that camera as well as editing them. They are always really blue and blurry most of the time

You can get any orange or yellow filter and it'll filter out the blue light. You can also get them on amazon, they clip on the phone.

9 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

I’m not going to do anything for a few weeks, except clean the tank and feed. I’m also going to post a picture of my tank every single day. Starting tonight whenever I get home.

Alright, I’ll get some of those. I think that my LFS has some.

Local store may not have filter pads and if they do it's going to be expensive. You're best bet is to get something on amazon. It'll come in a big roll and you just cut out the size you need and bam your done. It's probably like 12 bucks.

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
3 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

You can get any orange or yellow filter and it'll filter out the blue light. You can also get them on amazon, they clip on the phone.

Local store may not have filter pads and if they do it's going to be expensive. You're best bet is to get something on amazon. It'll come in a big roll and you just cut out the size you need and bam your done. It's probably like 12 bucks.

Oh ok, I’ll look for a yellow or orange filter. I’ll check out amazon too.

DSFIRSTSLTWATER
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
DSFIRSTSLTWATER

yeah pretty much. You just cut out what you need. I actually made a little template that I use. Makes it way easier to cut lol.

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
5 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

yeah pretty much. You just cut out what you need. I actually made a little template that I use. Makes it way easier to cut lol.

Ok thanks 

You could grab a roll of filter floss and a gravel vac off Amazon and probably get free shipping even if you don't have prime.

jedimasterben
1 hour ago, Tamberav said:

You could grab a roll of filter floss and a gravel vac off Amazon and probably get free shipping even if you don't have prime.

^

and if you really just want to do a good vacuuming of the entire tank but don't want to do a water change, you can siphon into a bucket through several layers of floss and then put the water back in, with the skimmer pulling the last remaining fines out of the water when you're done.

• Like 2
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
3 minutes ago, jedimasterben said:

^

and if you really just want to do a good vacuuming of the entire tank but don't want to do a water change, you can siphon into a bucket through several layers of floss and then put the water back in, with the skimmer pulling the last remaining fines out of the water when you're done.

Wow that's a cool idea actually. I never thought about doing that lol.

5 minutes ago, jedimasterben said:

^

Yeah, that is a great idea. 

I have also siphoned all the sand out with a water change and used a stainless steel strainer (won't work for sugar sand obviously) to swish all the sand like panning for gold in the old water to release all the silt and crud and then replaced the sand. I have a shallow sand bed, didn't seem to be a problem.

• Wow 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
3 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

I have also siphoned all the sand out with a water change and used a stainless steel strainer (won't work for sugar sand obviously) to swish all the sand like panning for gold in the old water to release all the silt and crud and then replaced the sand. I have a shallow sand bed, didn't seem to be a problem.

Wow another good idea that I hadn't thought about. :smilie:

jedimasterben
40 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

THAR BE GOLD IN THEM THERE TANKS, I TELL YA

• Like 2
  • Haha 3