Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

29 gallon: R.E.E.F Tank

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

DSFIRSTSLTWATER
Just now, jedimasterben said:

THAR BE GOLD IN THEM THERE TANKS, I TELL YA

Shit, I better get to digging when I get home. I want a bigger house for more tanks.:happydance:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I haven’t vacuumed my sand before, so I don’t really know about this. Whenever I vacuum my sand bed, will it vacuum my sand out also? I need to replace the sand correct?

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
2 hours ago, jedimasterben said:

^

and if you really just want to do a good vacuuming of the entire tank but don't want to do a water change, you can siphon into a bucket through several layers of floss and then put the water back in, with the skimmer pulling the last remaining fines out of the water when you're done.

That’s smart

2 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Yeah, that is a great idea. 

I have also siphoned all the sand out with a water change and used a stainless steel strainer (won't work for sugar sand obviously) to swish all the sand like panning for gold in the old water to release all the silt and crud and then replaced the sand. I have a shallow sand bed, didn't seem to be a problem.

Two neat ideas that I haven’t even heard about before😁

jedimasterben

Fill the damned tank up 😛

And if you want to get that last bit of clarity, get some calcium carbonate powder from amazon and toss some in, it will turn your water to milk for a few hours, but afterwards it will be unbelievably clear. 🙂

36 minutes ago, jedimasterben said:

And if you want to get that last bit of clarity, get some calcium carbonate powder from amazon and toss some in, it will turn your water to milk for a few hours, but afterwards it will be unbelievably clear. 🙂

Woah what? 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, OverCookedRock said:

Woah what? 

23 minutes ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

I agree I feel like that's inviting disaster.

I use it from time to time... its pretty magical. Cured my Ostreopsis dinoflagellates too since that dino goes into the water column. 👍

It's just KZ Coral Snow like stuff but without getting ripped off 🤑

Although my skimmers are much better than his 😛

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
9 hours ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

Much clearer. 

9 hours ago, jedimasterben said:

9 hours ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

Glass looks way better Ethan! 

Thanks everyone😁. I feel like I’m getting mixed reviews about this stuff, should I, or should I not?

ECLS Reefer

How is that?

Haven’t we been asking Ethan to hold off on putting anything in his tank for week? I wouldn’t advise anything nonemergent until that week has passed, if we are trying to get him to have patience. 

• Like 1
jedimasterben
45 minutes ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

Haven’t we been asking Ethan to hold off on putting anything in his tank for week? I wouldn’t advise anything nonemergent until that week has passed, if we are trying to get him to have patience. 

While I generally agree with doing as little as possible to our tanks, this is a bit different as it is an inert additive. He already has sand, which is the same thing, just not powderized 😛

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

While I generally agree with doing as little as possible to our tanks, this is a bit different as it is an inert additive. He already has sand, which is the same thing, just not powderized 😛

I may pick some up, but it wouldn’t be for another 4 to 5 days anyway 

20 hours ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

I haven’t vacuumed my sand before, so I don’t really know about this. Whenever I vacuum my sand bed, will it vacuum my sand out also? I need to replace the sand correct?

No...if it starts to suck sand up...just kink the tube and slow the flow so it sucks up the lighter debris but not the heavier sand. 

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
1 minute ago, Tamberav said:

No...if it starts to suck sand up...just kink the tube and slow the flow so it sucks up the lighter debris but not the heavier sand. 

Oh ok thanks👍

Hear me out but if you keep the maroon clown, maybe get rid of the false perc. Annnnd maaaaybe one more fish you'll have dramatically less algae issues. 

Trust me. You'll be amazed how much less algae you'll have. 1 or 2 fish can make a huge difference in nano reefs. 

You'll notice the people on the forum who never have algae issues or always have crystal clear tanks prob have a minimal bioload. 

Food for thought. 

• Like 1