Pod Your Reef

9 to 5 Goniopora and Alveopora Forest - NEW FTS

NoOneLikesADryTang

NoOneLikesADryTang

9 to 5 Goniopora and Alveopora Forest

Current Full Tank Shot:

1ABAC368-D813-4990-A7EA-233C050D2A39.thumb.jpeg.9e384487ac7400be3814b230ec7a7dd2.jpeg

Contest Entry Picture:

EEBE9C12-CA45-403F-8CE0-39E36EC2A4CF.thumb.jpeg.a8793dae6ee3fe0f60681aa9a7f4b85e.jpeg

Equipment:

• Tank ADA 60F
  • Lighting : Nanobox Duo
  • Flow : Vortech MP10
  • 25w Heater

Livestock:

• Alveoporas 
  • Gonioporas
  • Bernardopora
  • Duncans
  • Trachy
  • Cluster Dusters 

Highlight Links:

F5BB5286-653B-47D1-88C9-453094D2CDEC.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Wow 1
NoOneLikesADryTang

Welcome friends! Find a comfy chair, a beverage of your choosing, and join us for my adventures with the tank keeper, @EfrainChicagoDeepdish

When the contest was announced, I expected to have to really work some magic to get the tank keeper on board. (I can’t blame her, we have five other tanks running, that she does most of the maintenance on.)

My three part plan of attack :

1. Suggest we use the tank keepers favorite tank, that isn’t currently set up (ADA 60F).
  2. Suggest we do an alveopora and goniopora garden, which I know she’s a sucker for.
  3. Turn on the charm, and break out these magic hands.

Much to my surprise, she was nearly as excited for it as me. I didn’t even have to use my secret weapon, these magic hands!

Like most reefers, we have lots of extra equipment. In fact, all of the equipment we are using for this build we all ready had. 

• Tank ADA 60F
  • Lighting : Nanobox Duo
  • Flow : Vortech MP10
  • 25w Heater

Over the weekend, we got the tank out of storage, and celebrated a new tank build, the best way possible, with some Jameson. (Note - the shot glasses is a subtle shout-out to @seabass for all of his hard work in putting this contest together. Please be sure to thank him!)

3C08DB77-CE93-49BF-9A1B-370705C0FE48.thumb.jpeg.31c057dc398ade7d516ffbb619bd81fa.jpeg

More later, once it’s wet (And I’m not talking about the tank keeper! Hey-Oh!)

• Like 2
  • Haha 8
  • Thanks 1
NoOneLikesADryTang

We have mostly decided on the scape for this tank, from dry rock that we had. We are seeding it with a few pieces of rock from other tanks of ours. I’ll take some photos, once we’ve removed the seedling rocks. 

Until then, you can wet your whistle on these two pieces that will be moving over once the tank is fully cycled. 

08CF2ADB-59B9-4CF8-98E3-0E196526A594.thumb.jpeg.962f25acdcb3b53a5d5dca5de1b31435.jpeg

F611F027-40A5-48BA-ACCF-2EAE7C1CE177.thumb.jpeg.b4b61b5ae56fdebc3b4ad96abaa59368.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Wow 5
6 hours ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

We have mostly decided on the scape for this tank, from dry rock that we had. We are seeding it with a few pieces of rock from other tanks of ours. I’ll take some photos, once we’ve removed the seedling rocks. 

Until then, you can wet your whistle on these two pieces that will be moving over once the tank is fully cycled. 

08CF2ADB-59B9-4CF8-98E3-0E196526A594.thumb.jpeg.962f25acdcb3b53a5d5dca5de1b31435.jpeg

F611F027-40A5-48BA-ACCF-2EAE7C1CE177.thumb.jpeg.b4b61b5ae56fdebc3b4ad96abaa59368.jpeg

Looks like I'm not getting the waterbox 😭

• Haha 5

Saw this and love the footprint............... to bad that tank is discontinued.............. 

Will just have to watch from the sidelines................ 

• Like 3
NoOneLikesADryTang
22 hours ago, DevilDuck said:

As a goni and alveopora junkie, I am very excited about thsi build!

5 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

Sweet tank. Those corals look very pretty. Good luck in the contest.

4 hours ago, Saltysheep said:

Looking forward to seeing this 

Thank you guys for following along. I’d like to think it’s for my adventures antics with the tank keeper, but I’m sure it’s really for her creative and artistic ability. I’m just as excited as you guys to see what she does with this tank. Just daydreaming ideas with her has been a blast so far! 

10 hours ago, Murphych said:

Looks like I'm not getting the waterbox 😭

Ha! As far as the missus knows, you are! 

1 hour ago, spectra said:

Saw this and love the footprint............... to bad that tank is discontinued.............. 

Thank you sir! It really is a shame - I hope they decide to start producing these tanks again. They have terrific dimensions. I’m glad we picked one up a couple years ago. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
NoOneLikesADryTang

Miraculously, I was able to talk the tank keeper in to going to California, for a Coral Farmers Market (essentially a large frag swap with lots of vendors), that took place in Los Angeles last weekend. Much to my surprise, she suggested we head up a day early, and check out a few stores in San Diego. 

We hit about half a dozen stores in the greater San Diego metro, and ended up picking up a few frags, and an unexpected and surprise tenant for this tank, that we stumbled upon at AquaSD, pending it makes it through quarantine. (More on this later - let’s just say the tank keeper was very excited. Which was a win for me, if you know what I mean!) It also meant figuring out how we were going to keep this thing alive for a couple of days while traveling, and staying in hotel rooms, before we could get it home and in to a tank. Thank goodness hotel rooms have ice buckets and coffee pots. 😏

Here’s a little tease of a couple of alveoporas we picked up that will be moving to this tank, once it’s fully cycled. 

3A0C3D75-6DC6-4BBA-A626-9DC672E9D5D0.thumb.jpeg.2520c74468bc37cd1d5325a2570c2f80.jpeg

D78E70BB-49EA-432E-A960-8C0AE778CC43.thumb.jpeg.7712e231ac844306e90bcfcc26cf160f.jpeg

We ended up picking up a handful of Gonioporas, Alveoporas and Bernardaporas at the farmers market. Most people refer to bernardapora as short tentacle gonis, but they’re are a totally different species, and should not snuggle up closely to a goniopora, as they will have coral warfare. It’s sort of like hooking up with that really hot chick at a party, and the next day your *ahem* manhood is on fire. In hindsight, you know you shouldn’t have done it, but you just couldn’t help yourself, and would probably do it again.

Disclaimer : Not from personal experience. (The burning manhood part - I’ve totally had a Goni smoke a Bernardapora and learned my lesson.) 

• Like 5
  • Haha 3
  • Wow 2
NoOneLikesADryTang

The surprise resident is still alive and kicking swimming. All though, we haven’t been able to get it to eat yet. We did add a bunch of copepods and amphipods to the tank, so hopefully he’s munching on those, to sustain himself until we can get him to take frozen. 

Here’s another teaser of a frag that will be coming to this tank. I traded Ben (BSA Corals) one of my OG bounces for some gonis. This one he hasn’t named or released yet, but I think it’s gorgeous! 

F52162D3-012A-4D44-B490-019A6FE14BF6.thumb.jpeg.516ea0c461320c0b78a300b427a681ca.jpeg

That’s all for now - I’m going to try and get an updated full tank shot, with our scape this weekend. 

• Like 6
  • Wow 1
NoOneLikesADryTang

This weekend we did a water change (all though it probably wasn’t needed) and while doing the water change we pulled the rocks we’ve been using to seed the tank, to take a couple pictures of our rock scape. 

B75E2157-1231-460B-BD35-D810ADD0B78B.thumb.jpeg.c607b7610d594ef5ae1e7e8f77437e8c.jpeg

We will most likely end up with a sand bed - but the longer we go without one, the more a bare bottom look is growing in me. 

B6F5A9CB-7CE3-4245-AA09-5BDF0208456F.thumb.jpeg.c5df8ee1304aeab0eec734be0dca99f1.jpeg

We are really hoping that with us seeding this tank, from rock from all of our other tanks, that it will have lots of biodiversity, and we can get away with minimal rock work. 

D4D03010-EB84-4DA3-A272-98DBDCE8F946.thumb.jpeg.3e2fd965b72d1ea9ea287c7f016f5138.jpeg

One last full frontal for your viewing pleasure. Thoughts? Suggestions? We’re not totally set on the rock work, but would like to keep it minimal, and to one corner if possible. It gives us lots of sand bed space for the real stars of this show (Alvies and Gonis and Bernardies, oh my!) 

If we do need more rock, the other empty back corner would probably be where we’d put it. This would only be if we think we need more biological filtration (since it’s the only filtration we’re running), but we’re hoping to avoid needing it. The tank keeper loves the negative space look. Also, if I’d like to keep seeing the tank keepers bare bottom (Full circle, see second sentence. Booyah!), it’s in my best interest to keep her happy. 

• Like 11
  • Haha 3
NoOneLikesADryTang
3 hours ago, MortalWombat said:

Sweet concept! Love the tank dimensions too 

Thank you. The dimensions on this tank are fantastic! There’s tons of room for rock scaping and corals.

I think this tank is going to be beautiful! The tank keeper was talking tonight about wanting to put some SPS (Fortunately for me, she’s a sucker for sticks! Hey-oh!) in it, as well. She pointed out the places that she could put acros  along the rock work. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
On 10/5/2021 at 11:27 AM, spectra said:

pretty sure you can get a UNS copy, so let’s not be lazy here, get on with the new setup already!

@NoOneLikesADryTang

Your title has me intrigued, your tank and light made me jealous. 

• Haha 2
NoOneLikesADryTang
13 hours ago, ef4life said:

If you want a travertine bottom instead of sand or bare glass let me know I can cut one for you.

I hadn't even thought of that. That’s a great idea, if we didn’t that we don’t have enough surface area, without adding additional rocks. Thanks for looking out! I’ll bounce it off the tank keeper tonight, and see what she thinks. 

13 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

Thank you sir! I’m a sucker for Nanobox lights. I saw the fixture @Matteo posted a couple days ago, and I’ve been trying to justify a reason for buying it and putting in the closet for a future tank. 

The tank keeper LOVES ADA tanks, all though I don’t see much of a difference between them and UNS. Both are great tanks. However, since I’d like to continue doing grown up things with the tank keeper, I’m team ADA all the way. 

• Haha 4
  • Wow 1
8 minutes ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

I hadn't even thought of that. That’s a great idea, if we didn’t that we don’t have enough surface area, without adding additional rocks. Thanks for looking out! I’ll bounce it off the tank keeper tonight, and see what she thinks. 

Thank you sir! I’m a sucker for Nanobox lights. I saw the fixture @Matteo posted a couple days ago, and I’ve been trying to justify a reason for buying it and putting in the closet for a future tank. 

The tank keeper LOVES ADA tanks, all though I don’t see much of a difference between them and UNS. Both are great tanks. However, since I’d like to continue doing grown up things with the tank keeper, I’m team ADA all the way. 

No justification needed! It's in my closet right now so technically if you put in your closet nothing has changed! 😎👉 

Will include a bonus package of Swedish Fish 👀

The holiday season is among us....who knows how jolly you might catch me in a pm 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
NoOneLikesADryTang
3 hours ago, Matteo said:

No justification needed! It's in my closet right now so technically if you put in your closet nothing has changed! 😎👉 

Will include a bonus package of Swedish Fish 👀

The holiday season is among us....who knows how jolly you might catch me in a pm 😉

Before I even had a chance to talk to the tank keeper tonight about it, she was cyber stalking me (Hi Tank Keeper!), and asked what sort of light you had for sale. Then she saw your thread and told me about how nice, and big your light was. I’ll be honest, I was a little envious. 

I told her that it’d look great over a frag tank I’ve got sitting in the garage, I’ve been trying to talk her in to setting up for a couple of months. I think I may be wearing her down. Plus, she is a sucker for sugar. We may be on to something here, good sir. 

• Haha 3
  • Wow 1
18 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

pretty sure you can get a UNS copy, so let’s not be lazy here, get on with the new setup already!

@NoOneLikesADryTang

Looked and the closest one was not under 9 gallons............. plus like I need another tank................ 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
8 hours ago, spectra said:

Looked and the closest one was not under 9 gallons............. plus like I need another tank................ 

Hey @spectra, I realize it's not the same footprint; however, if you are looking for a low iron tank that qualifies, there is the Lifegard CRYSTAL Rimless Low Iron Ultra Clear Aquarium (9.63 gallons, 17.72" x 10.63" 11.81").  They actually calculated the tank volume from the outer dimensions versus the inner dimensions.  They use 5mm glass, so the inner dimensions would be 17.33" x 10.25" x 11.61", making the actual volume capacity 8.93 gallons.

291884_MAIN._AC_SL400_V1621635496_.jpg

Unfortunately, the UNS equivalent to this discontinued ADA tank is a couple of inches wider:

ULTUM NATURE SYSTEMS 60S

Dimensions:
Length: 23.62"
Width: 14.17"
Height: 7.09"
Glass thickness: 5mm
Volume: 10 gallons

Even when you subtract the 5mm walls, you get 23.23" x 13.78" x 6.89" for it's inner dimensions.  Plug that into the volume calculator, and you get 10.27 gallons.  Sorry.

But they do have a 5 gallon shallow tank which qualifies:  UNS 45S (17.71" x 11.02" x 7.09").

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • NoOneLikesADryTang changed the title to 9 to 5 Goniopora and Alveopora Forest - NEW FTS