Pod Your Reef

29 gallon: R.E.E.F Tank

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

17 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

They are taking over, everyday I look at the glass there are more. There has to be more than a thousand right now 

Time for a mandarin😂

Naw, not yet. Maybe after everything is set up and everything’s stable

No

• Like 2
Snow_Phoenix

Mandarins require a lot of time, effort and commitment. They can also be very expensive to feed if you're dosing live pods every now and then. It's not a fish I'd simply recommend - I'd avoid it until you do enough research and reading into how to take care of one properly, and build the tank around the fish's needs. 

• Like 1
jedimasterben
29 minutes ago, pgrVII said:

Nevermind that you potentially have a carpet nem,and they can easily eat a fish that likes to hover and perch. 😜

I am going to agree that they should absolutely not get any dragonets for this setup, but these fish in particular, when healthy, have extremely thick slime coats. Because of this, they're actually collected via spear and are able to make quick recoveries. http://coralmorphologic.com/b/mandarinfishpart2

And also, yes, the anemone is certainly a Stichodactyla species, but I am unsure whether it is S. haddoni or S. gigantea. It is not S. tapetum, though, that I can be sure of.

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
1 hour ago, WV Reefer said:

A mandarin would strip that tank clean of pods in no time. Not a good idea. 

Yea I know, ‘‘twas joking😂

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
50 minutes ago, pgrVII said:

Nevermind that you potentially have a carpet nem,and they can easily eat a fish that likes to hover and perch. 😜

So far the nem is being a model citizen. Readily accepts frozen scallops and mysis, and lets my clown live in him. Hasn’t harmed a single thing yet. He hasn’t even moved much. The only time he moved was when I first put him in. Hopefully my gobys will be ok. They like to perch and float around the tank. 

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
22 minutes ago, jedimasterben said:

I am going to agree that they should absolutely not get any dragonets for this setup, but these fish in particular, when healthy, have extremely thick slime coats. Because of this, they're actually collected via spear and are able to make quick recoveries. http://coralmorphologic.com/b/mandarinfishpart2

And also, yes, the anemone is certainly a Stichodactyla species, but I am unsure whether it is S. haddoni or S. gigantea. It is not S. tapetum, though, that I can be sure of.

Yea, I’m not getting a mandarin. I should of made it more clear sorry. I was trying to make it a joke. I’m thinking that it may be a haddoni which I would prefer than the gigantea. Haddoni are a little smaller if I’m correct?

1 hour ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

They are taking over, everyday I look at the glass there are more. There has to be more than a thousand right now 

Time for a mandarin😂

Naw, not yet. Maybe after everything is set up and everything’s stable

You already are pushing your bioload. Please don't, expert level fish. 

• Like 2
29 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Yea, I’m not getting a mandarin. I should of made it more clear sorry. I was trying to make it a joke. I’m thinking that it may be a haddoni which I would prefer than the gigantea. Haddoni are a little smaller if I’m correct?

Either way am upgrade is going to be needed. Cause regardless of what ya prefer it is what is. Ya dig?

• Like 2
jedimasterben
28 minutes ago, pgrVII said:

Either way am upgrade is going to be needed. Cause regardless of what ya prefer it is what is. Ya dig?

Not to be too down on him, but considering it should still take a couple of years to reach full size (which for both species is about 50cm average, both can grow to 80ish) and that they can decline for little reason with no warning, it's unlikely to reach that point. I see everyone people saying that you shouldn't consider one unless your tank is 125 gallons or larger, but it would be absolutely silly to put one of this size in that large of a tank from the get-go. As long as water quality is kept up, the volume of water shouldn't matter much, unless he plans on stocking other fish, which would likely end in disaster. 😄

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
40 minutes ago, pgrVII said:

Yea I know. How long do you think that it will take to get big enough to need an upgrade?

54 minutes ago, OverCookedRock said:

You already are pushing your bioload. Please don't, expert level fish. 

Don’t worry, I’m not. Just joking 

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
1 minute ago, jedimasterben said:

Not to be too down on him, but considering it should still take a couple of years to reach full size (which for both species is about 50cm average, both can grow to 80ish) and that they can decline for little reason with no warning, it's unlikely to reach that point. I see everyone people saying that you shouldn't consider one unless your tank is 125 gallons or larger, but it would be absolutely silly to put one of this size in that large of a tank from the get-go. As long as water quality is kept up, the volume of water shouldn't matter much, unless he plans on stocking other fish, which would likely end in disaster. 😄

No, definitely no more fish. This is my maximum 

Just coral and nems

jedimasterben
2 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

No, definitely no more fish. This is my maximum 

Just coral and nems

I would recommend no more anemones, and to consider removing one or the other that's currently in the tank. If the LTA decides to take a walk and comes towards the carpet, it is toast. There is also anecdotal evidence that sometimes anemones can attack each other even without touching. I would recommend a species tank, with clownfish or Dascyllus damselfish for fish, the single carpet anemeone, and then whatever corals you wish to pursue.

• Like 4
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
35 minutes ago, jedimasterben said:

I would recommend no more anemones, and to consider removing one or the other that's currently in the tank. If the LTA decides to take a walk and comes towards the carpet, it is toast. There is also anecdotal evidence that sometimes anemones can attack each other even without touching. I would recommend a species tank, with clownfish or Dascyllus damselfish for fish, the single carpet anemeone, and then whatever corals you wish to pursue.

I never thought about that. I might do that, but I would really like to keep my LTA. Could I possibly set up another tank? I was thinking about making a nano, like 15, 20 gallons? Could I just move that stuff to that tank?

I never thought about that. I might do that, but I would really like to keep my LTA. Could I possibly set up another tank? I was thinking about making a nano, like 15, 20 gallons? Could I just move that stuff to that tank?

This IS a nano tank. The smaller you go the more difficult stability is. Relax and slow down dude. This current tank is far from 100% and diverting money and time into a second is just stupid. Sorry but gotta say it. You have mixed species clown fish, prob too many nems for the tank, maxed out bioload, algae issues including cyano, and you Just got a decent filter. 

For the love of reefing please fix your tank before we began to talk about a second tank, more fish, more inverts etc. 

Also gotta double down but you have a fricken nano at 29 gallons. 

Just slow down dude. Come on. It's like alright Ethan we are moving in the right direction and then you mention something about getting another fish and even another tank. 

Just no dude, no. 

#onlineparentingissometimesneeded

• Like 4
  • Haha 3
jedimasterben
2 hours ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Until you get one tank going well, I would suggest against thinning your time and resources into another tank. I know it is tempting (as do most other hobbyists, you want to just jump in feet first), but if you take your time, your tank will reward you for it.

• Like 2
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
1 hour ago, OverCookedRock said:

This IS a nano tank. The smaller you go the more difficult stability is. Relax and slow down dude. This current tank is far from 100% and diverting money and time into a second is just stupid. Sorry but gotta say it. You have mixed species clown fish, prob too many nems for the tank, maxed out bioload, algae issues including cyano, and you Just got a decent filter. 

For the love of reefing please fix your tank before we began to talk about a second tank, more fish, more inverts etc. 

Also gotta double down but you have a fricken nano at 29 gallons. 

Just slow down dude. Come on. It's like alright Ethan we are moving in the right direction and then you mention something about getting another fish and even another tank. 

Just no dude, no. 

#onlineparentingissometimesneeded

He said that I should probably get rid of my lta, and I really don’t want to do that. I really like him. I don’t have the money for another tank now, I was just talking about the future. I actually barely have any cyano now. Cyano is almost completely gone. My new problem is now green hair algae. 

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

This new filter is working miracles. I came home today, and remember when I said that the protein skimmer that I have is completely filled within a day? Well now it barely had anything in it after the addition of the aquaclear.

43 minutes ago, jedimasterben said:

Until you get one tank going well, I would suggest against thinning your time and resources into another tank. I know it is tempting (as do most other hobbyists, you want to just jump in feet first), but if you take your time, your tank will reward you for it.

I just meant later whenever I actually need to get rid of the nems. For now they are ok.

4 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

This new filter is working miracles. I came home today, and remember when I said that the protein skimmer that I have is completely filled within a day? Well now it barely had anything in it after the addition of the aquaclear.

I just meant later whenever I actually need to get rid of the nems. For now they are ok.

I actually own this skimmer, it actually pulled pretty well (i modded the airline on mine) until one day it didnt. I could never get it to pull a decent skimmate again. 

Did you add more water to your tank when you added the filter? If it holds more water than your previous filter it could have lowered the water level. You have to play with that screw to raise and lower the level on that skimmer. 

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
6 minutes ago, Outofstock said:

I actually own this skimmer, it actually pulled pretty well (i modded the airline on mine) until one day it didnt. I could never get it to pull a decent skimmate again. 

Did you add more water to your tank when you added the filter? If it holds more water than your previous filter it could have lowered the water level. You have to play with that screw to raise and lower the level on that skimmer. 

I have played with the screw, I think it works good. It’s just today right after I added the new filter it stopped pulling a ton.

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

Where do you have the screw? I have mine so a good bit of water is flowing out of it. Is that where it’s supposed to be?

jedimasterben
1 minute ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Where do you have the screw? I have mine so a good bit of water is flowing out of it. Is that where it’s supposed to be?

I am assuming you're talking about some sort of adjustment for the water level inside the skimmer. That will differ entirely from tank to tank. I have to adjust my skimmer over time, as I do 100% water changes every few months, and afterwards my skimmer will overflow constantly if set to the same water level as before the change.

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
8 minutes ago, jedimasterben said:

I am assuming you're talking about some sort of adjustment for the water level inside the skimmer. That will differ entirely from tank to tank. I have to adjust my skimmer over time, as I do 100% water changes every few months, and afterwards my skimmer will overflow constantly if set to the same water level as before the change.

Yes that’s what I’m talking about. So it differs with the water level also?

jedimasterben

Yes that’s what I’m talking about. So it differs with the water level also?

Absolutely. This is why skimmers require a consistent water level to operate, well, consistently. If your water level is always changing, so will the water level inside the skimmer. If you don't have an ATO, I would recommend that be high up on the list of purchases.

• Like 1