Pod Your Reef

29 gallon: R.E.E.F Tank

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I was told that I should just start a journal bc I’ve been posting a bunch of stuff lately😂. So here goes nothing

It’s a 29 gallon, and I will post a picture later when I get home.

Edited by EthanPhillyCheesesteak
Trying to get the title to stand out more😁
  • Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak

Fish stocking list:

a percula clown

a gold nugget maroon clownfish 

a yellow watchman goby

a orange spotted goby

a cleaner shrimp

a zebra striped hermit crab

about 5 or 6 blue legged hermits

about 8 red Mexican legged hermits

3 turbo snails

3 astrea snails

a blue long tentacle anemone 

a rainbow carpet anemone 

a pink pincushion urchin

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

Coral stocking list:

a nirvana/mystery zoa frag

a pocillopora frag

a dragon soul favia frag

leopard mushrooms

a Valentine’s Day massacre jawbreaker Mushroom

a neon Green Trachyphyllia Brain Coral 

two different acans(single heads)

a kryptonite trumpet coral(has two mouths)

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

So I have a question for everyone, I have a small 8 gallon tank that seems to be made of plastic in my garage. I used to use it for freshwater, considering just having some fun and turning it into a very unique aquarium. Would this be a good idea at all? 

And has anyone used topshelfaquatics? Are they reliable? 

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I got rid of the flame angel, and the six line is still missing. So I have 2 clowns, 2 gobys, and one fire fish. A few inverts also, but otherwise that is all. Also a few corals, mostly beginners, except for the pocillopora. 

I just added a protein skimmer, and it seems to be doing a good job so far.

nope, ppl can reply and comment on journal. glad to see you finally putting all the tank stuff into one place - so that ppl can have a full picture of what's going on when they try to give you feedback on things. 

you don't have any LFS nearby, those are very beginners corals that you're getting from TSA.  and to be honest, other than the ric's, I wouldn't have paid those prices for the other two (I also imagine you have to factor in shipping?)

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

Yea, shipping was 30 bucks, but I ended up not getting the nuclear green, mainly bc I didn’t want to have to worry about the toxins. But I really like the blue discoma.

On 2/12/2019 at 8:34 PM, micoastreefing said:

nope, ppl can reply and comment on journal. glad to see you finally putting all the tank stuff into one place - so that ppl can have a full picture of what's going on when they try to give you feedback on things. 

you don't have any LFS nearby, those are very beginners corals that you're getting from TSA.  and to be honest, other than the ric's, I wouldn't have paid those prices for the other two (I also imagine you have to factor in shipping?)

I actually just went to my LFS today, but there selection of corals is so horrible. Most don’t even look healthy.

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
39 minutes ago, NuisanceAlgaeCultivator said:

I got the same, micro bubbles a little the first couple weeks but once it breaks in it isn’t too bad.

Is it supposed to fill up really fast? Bc it’s filling up faster than I can take the stuff out😂

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

The protein skimmer is already doing it’s job well, and it definitely helps that I only have 3 fish and 2 gobys now. Not as much of a bio load.

One thing that concerns me, is that my mini maxi nem still hasn’t really recovered from when I did the blackout? 

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

He’s kind of shriveled up and it doesn’t look like he is sticking well, but his colors still look really bright and colorful. He doesn’t look bleached at all. But the day that I turned the lights back on from the blackout, he spewed a ton of white stuff from his mouth? There was so much of it, he spewed so much that it looked like it was the same size as the nem? Is this just zooxanthelle? And if he spewed this much, will he be ok?

NuisanceAlgaeCultivator
12 hours ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Is it supposed to fill up really fast? Bc it’s filling up faster than I can take the stuff out😂

That nob needs adjusting so that the bubbles go into the spout about 20%, then within a couple of hours you’ll notice bigger bubbles that actually carry super dirty water and waste into the collection cup. 

If you don’t have an auto top off like me, then it’ll need adjusting nearly daily due to evaporation. It’s extremely sensitive to water levels.

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
10 minutes ago, NuisanceAlgaeCultivator said:

That nob needs adjusting so that the bubbles go into the spout about 20%, then within a couple of hours you’ll notice bigger bubbles that actually carry super dirty water and waste into the collection cup. 

If you don’t have an auto top off like me, then it’ll need adjusting nearly daily due to evaporation. It’s extremely sensitive to water levels.

What’s an auto top off? And I adjusted the nob, but it doesn’t seem to do much except to limit the amount of water coming out?

NuisanceAlgaeCultivator

4 hours ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

What’s an auto top off? And I adjusted the nob, but it doesn’t seem to do much except to limit the amount of water coming out?

Auto top offs automate the addition of water to your saltwater aquarium that is lost due to evaporation. There are different kinds but most have a sensor that checks water level, then when the water hits a certain height pump water from a water storing container. 

As for the nob thats what it does, limiting the water is like fine tuning the air/water ratio in the chamber. 

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
5 hours ago, NuisanceAlgaeCultivator said:

Auto top offs automate the addition of water to your saltwater aquarium that is lost due to evaporation. There are different kinds but most have a sensor that checks water level, then when the water hits a certain height pump water from a water storing container. 

As for the nob thats what it does, limiting the water is like fine tuning the air/water ratio in the chamber. 

Ok, I think I figured it out

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

Also got a peppermint shrimp and some more turbo snails, and 5 more blue legged hermits.

Really needed a better cuc, so I’m still working on it.

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I was able to sell the solar flare, and now I have a viparspectre up and running on my tank. Everything loves this light, coral coloration is great👍. But one of my problems is that I can’t figure out how to just control the blues and whites separately? What does everyone have there’s set at?

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

Ok, so I have a question about coral feeding? I’ve tried to do some research on this, and I can’t find it. I don’t have any coral food or reef roads right now, so I was just wondering if I could try to target feed when I unthaw the frozen mysis blocks? I tried it once, and my chalice grabbed onto one and held it for a while. But could my discoma and pocillopora get anything from this?