Top Shelf Aquatics

29 gallon: R.E.E.F Tank

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
3 minutes ago, SliceGolfer said:

If you’re manually topping off water due to evaporation, I would buy an ATO. Or make one from DIY projects listed here on NR. ATO adds stability.

I didn’t know that you could DIY a ATO? I’m gonna have to check that out real quick 

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
6 minutes ago, SliceGolfer said:

If you’re manually topping off water due to evaporation, I would buy an ATO. Or make one from DIY projects listed here on NR. ATO adds stability.

So I need something like this and just a clear container, about 3 gallons or more?

78221C9B-C17A-4DF7-B534-4B9D018BAEEF.png

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I was just wondering. I’m heading to the beach for a few days over spring break. Is it possible to bring back ocean water and sand from the beach for my tank? If I would go to a place that is not public. Like a smaller beach with no one there? Or with very few people around? And could you put inverts that you would find at the beach into a tank? It wouldn’t be any different than things that you buy online that are wild collected? Like if I found a reef safe crab or snail? Or a clam or mollusk? This is probably a very stupid question, I’m sorry. Please don’t get angry. I was just wondering.

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

Like the spruce pets said that they actually recommend putting ocean water in your tank if you have access to it. But I can’t find anything on sand or inverts?

jedimasterben
4 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

I was just wondering. I’m heading to the beach for a few days over spring break. Is it possible to bring back ocean water and sand from the beach for my tank? If I would go to a place that is not public. Like a smaller beach with no one there? Or with very few people around? And could you put inverts that you would find at the beach into a tank? It wouldn’t be any different than things that you buy online that are wild collected? Like if I found a reef safe crab or snail? Or a clam or mollusk? This is probably a very stupid question, I’m sorry. Please don’t get angry. I was just wondering.

not a good idea.

• Like 2

I don't know about that question that you just asked, but I do have one idea for you. You could possibly get rid of your HOB filter but you might want to keep it, and get an algae reactor. I just built a DIY one for $160 haven't put algae in, but I've heard they work great. 

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
14 minutes ago, Dutchymomo said:

I don't know about that question that you just asked, but I do have one idea for you. You could possibly get rid of your HOB filter but you might want to keep it, and get an algae reactor. I just built a DIY one for $160 haven't put algae in, but I've heard they work great. 

Never actually heard of that before. I’ll have to look that up. See how to DIY one of those

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
15 minutes ago, jedimasterben said:

not a good idea.

Not a good idea for everything? Not even the water? I just thought that it would be neat? 

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I’ve never even heard of people doing this at all. Putting stuff from the ocean into their tank. Is there a reason for this? I might be stupid and it may be a very simple answer sorry.

jedimasterben
11 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Not a good idea for everything? Not even the water? I just thought that it would be neat? 

neat is one thing, practical or good is another. Lots of museums and aquariums use sea water, but they don't collect it from near shore because beaches are dirty.

DSFIRSTSLTWATER
11 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

You would have to collect water miles out. Shore water is contaminated and you don't want that in the tank. Plus there are things in the ocean pest wise that you don't want in your home aquarium either. Just not a good idea.  

3 hours ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

Since you're still relatively new to reefing, I think it would be best to concentrate all your efforts on one tank first (this tank). Once you have this tank stabilized, then you can always start up other systems. 🙂 

Having multiple setups won't make a problem in this current tank go away or resolve on its own - in fact, having extra tanks requires extra work + care + time + resources + effort. You might not feel the pinch now, but you will feel it eventually. Even WCing your 'second' tank will consume your time and eventually patience. Your attention will also be split between two tanks - if something goes wrong in one, you'll have to hyperfocus on it and its issues, and you might accidently end up neglecting the other one in the process. 

So maybe just focus on your 29G reef first? You do already have a lot of people giving you help/encouragement/advice in this thread. You're in good hands. You just need to apply yourself, hold off any extra purchases and find your footing. In the meantime, do a lot of reading and researching. If you want something (eg. livestock etc.) in the future, try to plan for it for as much as possible. It'll save you a lot of time and money, trust me on that one. 

Just my two cents. 

LOL where have you been? This kid has enough two cents shared from us to start a savings account but he keeps throwing the two cents away. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
31 minutes ago, jedimasterben said:

neat is one thing, practical or good is another. Lots of museums and aquariums use sea water, but they don't collect it from near shore because beaches are dirty.

31 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

You would have to collect water miles out. Shore water is contaminated and you don't want that in the tank. Plus there are things in the ocean pest wise that you don't want in your home aquarium either. Just not a good idea.  

Oh, well then I won’t. Thanks for telling me.

The spruce pets said that it really good for corals. Like mushrooms and other soft corals

But I wont

14 minutes ago, OverCookedRock said:

LOL where have you been? This kid has enough two cents shared from us to start a savings account but he keeps throwing the two cents away. 

Yea you right😂

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I’m not throwing it away. I’m doing everything you tell me with my 29 gallon. It’s really starting to turn around for the better bc you are all helping me. I just wanted to start cycling my other one. It’s going to take a while to cycle anyway. I was just gonna let it sit there and do water changes on it whenever I need to

ECLS Reefer
16 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

I’m not throwing it away. I’m doing everything you tell me with my 29 gallon. It’s really starting to turn around for the better bc you are all helping me. I just wanted to start cycling my other one. It’s going to take a while to cycle anyway. I was just gonna let it sit there and do water changes on it whenever I need to

You're evidently determined to learn to do this the hard way, aren't you? You only half listen to the advice given you, Ethan. It literally goes straight through the ears and out the other side. If you start that second tank, you will not be able to pay attention to the one you're still trying to correct. Can you not COMPLETELY fix the first tank before starting a second project? Patience absolutely escapes you.

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
9 minutes ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

You're evidently determined to learn to do this the hard way, aren't you? You only half listen to the advice given you, Ethan. It literally goes straight through the ears and out the other side. If you start that second tank, you will not be able to pay attention to the one you're still trying to correct. Can you not COMPLETELY fix the first tank before starting a second project? Patience absolutely escapes you.

I just don’t understand why this would be all that much more effort. It’s not that hard to just check the salinity and to do water changes 

It’s not even hard to check params

ECLS Reefer
38 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

I just don’t understand why this would be all that much more effort. It’s not that hard to just check the salinity and to do water changes 

It’s not even hard to check params

But you haven’t completely resolved the problems with your first tank, Ethan. A second will automatically draw attention away, I promise. 

27 minutes ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

But you haven’t completely resolved the problems with your first tank, Ethan. A second will automatically draw attention away, I promise. 

I think people will simply ignore the other tank build and will slowly ignore this one too considering the direction it is going....still

• Like 1
2 hours ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

No, it will have pollutants, possibly be illegal as many things require permits, and potentially introduce nasties and pests. 

I wouldn't bother with a 2nd tank. A hospital tank doesn't use live rock or anything, its a sponge filter and can be cycled quickly with biospira if the time comes. It's not worth it right now in your situation. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Oh, well then I won’t. Thanks for telling me.

The spruce pets said that it really good for corals. Like mushrooms and other soft corals

But I wont

Yea you right😂

It's not a good thing mate. 

Us: Ethan slow down

Ethan: Imma start a second tank/thread 

Us: .....

• Haha 2
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
59 minutes ago, OverCookedRock said:

I think people will simply ignore the other tank build and will slowly ignore this one too considering the direction it is going....still

The 29 gallon is actually looking a lot better. The algae on the glass has actually declined. I can notice a difference from yesterday.

59 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

No, it will have pollutants, possibly be illegal as many things require permits, and potentially introduce nasties and pests. 

I wouldn't bother with a 2nd tank. A hospital tank doesn't use live rock or anything, its a sponge filter and can be cycled quickly with biospira if the time comes. It's not worth it right now in your situation. 

Ok, won’t even bother then

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
1 hour ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

Okie dokie

1 hour ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

The 29 gallon is actually looking a lot better. The algae on the glass has actually declined. I can notice a difference from yesterday.

Ok, won’t even bother then

Direction of you, not the tank sir. 

We need you to count to 5 and slow/calm down omgomgomglet the positives of your tank be and continue to focus on keeping those positives going. I.e less algae, stability and such. 

• Like 2