Innovative Marine Aquariums

29 gallon: R.E.E.F Tank

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

Another thing that I have a question about tho. How long does it take for a trumpet to split? Mine has had a second mouth for more than a week and he still hasn’t split? At night I look at him when he is feeding and you can clearly see the 2 circles of tentacles around each mouth, but they still won’t split?

3 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

I’m ordering a Red Sea test kit for calcium, magnesium, and alkalinity.

514F291D-3BD5-4100-A66D-3D9A5738C6D3.png

Please let me know if you would how you find the test kit, I've not tried that one and wouldn't mind a quick review

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
34 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Please let me know if you would how you find the test kit, I've not tried that one and wouldn't mind a quick review

Yea sure, I’ll keep you updated👍

• Thanks 1
jedimasterben
40 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

I’m ordering a Red Sea test kit for calcium, magnesium, and alkalinity.

514F291D-3BD5-4100-A66D-3D9A5738C6D3.png

The Red Sea test kits can be very accurate, but their process is pretty complex. It does take some complex chemistry and reagents to get an accurate result, but IMHO for hobbyist use that accuracy is almost wasted. Just be sure to follow the process exactly.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Ratvan said:

1 hour ago, jedimasterben said:

The Red Sea test kits can be very accurate, but their process is pretty complex. It does take some complex chemistry and reagents to get an accurate result, but IMHO for hobbyist use that accuracy is almost wasted. Just be sure to follow the process exactly.

What Ben said. I use those kits and they are a multistep process. Not something you can rush. I don't test very often though, and I don't tend to chase numbers. 

• Like 2
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
2 hours ago, jedimasterben said:

I’ll try to follow it exactly. What’s the most complicated part about it?

1 hour ago, kimberbee said:

What Ben said. I use those kits and they are a multistep process. Not something you can rush. I don't test very often though, and I don't tend to chase numbers. 

Well I’ll try to be patient and take my time.

4 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

I’ll try to follow it exactly. What’s the most complicated part about it?

Well I’ll try to be patient and take my time.

2 hours ago, Ratvan said:

I just got the Red Sea kit about a month ago — don’t have anything to compare the test process to (salifert seems to be the other contender for alk, mag, ca tests) — but I’ve liked the kit a lot.

I’d recommend watching YouTube videos on how to perform the tests properly once you have it and are ready to do your first test — the instructions they provide are more helpful as a reminder of steps rather than a first time tutorial. Once you’ve tested with them a couple times it gets to be much easier and testing speeds up quite a bit 🙂

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
3 minutes ago, pricewayne said:

I just got the Red Sea kit about a month ago — don’t have anything to compare the test process to (salifert seems to be the other contender for alk, mag, ca tests) — but I’ve liked the kit a lot.

I’d recommend watching YouTube videos on how to perform the tests properly once you have it and are ready to do your first test — the instructions they provide are more helpful as a reminder of steps rather than a first time tutorial. Once you’ve tested with them a couple times it gets to be much easier and testing speeds up quite a bit 🙂

Ok thank you😁

• Like 1

Your CUC/worms prob ate the fish. I am surprised you found any body at all.

I use red sea, I like it. Check the expiration date when you get it. I have gotten ones about to expire before. 

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
36 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Your CUC/worms prob ate the fish. I am surprised you found any body at all.

I use red sea, I like it. Check the expiration date when you get it. I have gotten ones about to expire before. 

I don’t have any worms, at least I don’t think. My cuc is about 10 different types of hermits, 3 turbos, 3 astreas, a cleaner shrimp, and a tiger conch.

Also, does anyone know anything about the website coralshoppe?

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I went to my LFS today and got my calcium and a few other things checked. My calcium is slightly low. It’s at 380ppm. My alkalinity is at 2.8meq. My magnesium is at 1310ppm.

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I must be having a really lucky night tho. My friend just offered me a Valentine’s Day massacre jawbreaker shroom for 50 bucks!!! It’s only about the size of a quarter, but still a good deal. He’s also giving me a kryptonite trachy for 35. It looks like a regular green trachy, but he calls it a kryptonite trachy🤷‍♂️. I just can’t believe I got both of those for that cheap😁😁. I’ll be going to pick them up Tuesday. He said that the jawbreaker will eventually grow purple lines on it making it look like a Deadpool shroom. Kinda neat.

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I also got offered a job at my local LFS to be caretaker of the saltwater tanks. I know I’m probably not the best candidate for this job, but I would be better than whose running it right now. The guy who was running it left to start his own bussiness. They literally have someone running the tank who had no idea at all what to do. The tanks are looking horrible at the LFS. And with all the resources they have available, I could probably fix those tanks pretty fast. It also doesn’t hurt to get 30% off on everything in the store🤷‍♂️😂.

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak

Also, the mushrooms that are in my tank already are growing very fast. He has already doubled in size since last week and the baby has also doubled in size. It’s a leopard mushroom.

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I think I may have found the culprit for my cyano and hair algae outbreaks. When I vacuumed the sand bed, there was ungodly amounts of fish crap under it. I got most of it, so hopefully we start to see a change😁

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
7 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Really pretty goby

Thank you😁

I edited him in my camera to really make his colors pop

20 hours ago, pricewayne said:

Yep agree with this..  watch the YouTube videos for sure.. the only test that I find to be a pain in the mg test. It takes too long and u dont get repeatable results.. switched to the salfert mag test and love it!!! Granted I use the red sea test vile and little thing that screws onto it with the salfert kit. Makes it easier to test..

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
34 minutes ago, FISHnChix said:

Yep agree with this..  watch the YouTube videos for sure.. the only test that I find to be a pain in the mg test. It takes too long and u dont get repeatable results.. switched to the salfert mag test and love it!!! Granted I use the red sea test vile and little thing that screws onto it with the salfert kit. Makes it easier to test..

I’m mainly concerned about my calcium levels. They were a little low last time I checked, and I don’t want to add anything unless I have my own test kit to monitor them. The test kit will come in Wednesday and I’ll check my calcium levels again to make sure that they are low(bc my LFS uses an api). I’ll follow the directions on adding the calcium as needed