SaltCritters.com

29 gallon: R.E.E.F Tank

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

1 hour ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

I’m mainly concerned about my calcium levels. They were a little low last time I checked, and I don’t want to add anything unless I have my own test kit to monitor them. The test kit will come in Wednesday and I’ll check my calcium levels again to make sure that they are low(bc my LFS uses an api). I’ll follow the directions on adding the calcium as needed

If your low on ca your probably low in alkinity too..  if you dose alk just be careful and do it super slow over 7-10days.. good luck!

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
4 minutes ago, FISHnChix said:

If your low on ca your probably low in alkinity too..  if you dose alk just be careful and do it super slow over 7-10days.. good luck!

Thank you, I’ll give it my best shot and take it slow and be patient.

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak

The weird thing I didn’t understand tho was that my LFS said that my alkalinity was where it was supposed to be? But he was using a api test kit, so he could’ve been wrong on the alkalinity or the calcium.

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

This test kit only comes with calcium, magnesium, and alkalinity tests. Is it really important right now to get an iodine test kit, strontium, and phosphate?

I’ll get one, but I’m wondering if it’s of utter most importance.

I have never tested iodine or strontium in my life....what. why? Just do weekly water change. 

What brand of salt do you use? 380ca is still a normal range...just lower end of normal. 

Since he used API it may not even be accurate test.

I have a po4 kit but wouldn't say it's terribly important...I rarely use it. If you have pest algae algae than you have excess nutrients.

• Like 2

IMO a bunch of expensive test kits are not what you need. 

I don't own and test kit nor do I take my water in. Just saying... 

You don't even have enough coral to really be worrying about all the minerals and nutrients. 

Idk test kits seem like a waste right now... 

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
32 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

I have never tested iodine or strontium in my life....what. why? Just do weekly water change. 

What brand of salt do you use? 380ca is still a normal range...just lower end of normal. 

Since he used API it may not even be accurate test.

I have a po4 kit but wouldn't say it's terribly important...I rarely use it. If you have pest algae algae than you have excess nutrients.

I use instant ocean reef crystals. If I don’t have to waste my money on that stuff them I won’t get them, I just had no idea🤷‍♂️😂. Yea, that’s why I was gonna test with the Red Sea test kit when it comes in. I want to make sure that my levels are where they are supposed to be. I’ll get a po4 test kit in the future, but right now I don’t think that they are super important.

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
21 minutes ago, OverCookedRock said:

IMO a bunch of expensive test kits are not what you need. 

I don't own and test kit nor do I take my water in. Just saying... 

You don't even have enough coral to really be worrying about all the minerals and nutrients. 

Idk test kits seem like a waste right now... 

Well I’m just a little worried about my calcium. I’m afraid something is off, bc my harder corals just aren’t growing as fast as they should be. My mushrooms and Zoanthids are growing very fast, but everything else is kinda slow. My trumpet has had two mouths for about two weeks, and it still hasn’t split? Idk if this is a normal time or not, that’s why I’m asking. My acans have also not grown at all since I’ve got them. I’ve had them for about 4 months. But I heard that they are different depending on the environment. My favia is losing skin, so I’m afraid that could have something to do with calcium. My nems are growing like crazy. Just in the past week, I’ve noticed both nems have grown more tentacles and have grown larger. 

Check the Ca and Mg of your freshly mixed salt.

Do you use a refractometer and calibrate it? What salinity do you run?

I see nothing that would use up your Ca at any rate that a water change wouldn't fix.

Mushrooms are supposed to grow fast.

I think asking Ethan to dose is asking for a crash. He has a few tiny frags and some are softies.

• Like 2
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
1 hour ago, Tamberav said:

Check the Ca and Mg of your freshly mixed salt.

Do you use a refractometer and calibrate it? What salinity do you run?

I see nothing that would use up your Ca at any rate that a water change wouldn't fix.

Mushrooms are supposed to grow fast.

I think asking Ethan to dose is asking for a crash. He has a few tiny frags and some are softies.

When my test kit comes in, I’ll check it. I haven’t gotten a refractometer yet, but I run my tank at around 1.024. Yea, I have 2 mushrooms(gonna be three counting the jawbreaker on Tuesday), 2 acans that only have one head each, one kryptonite trumpet that has two mouths and is trying to split, but so far hasn’t. A frag of nirvana/people eater zoas/palys, a dragon soul favia, a pocillopora that is slowly making a comeback from when I had a lighting issue, and going to be a green trachy. The trachy will be the biggest frag in the tank. Also a rainbow carpet nem and a blue long tentacle nem.

2 hours ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

When my test kit comes in, I’ll check it. I haven’t gotten a refractometer yet, but I run my tank at around 1.024. Yea, I have 2 mushrooms(gonna be three counting the jawbreaker on Tuesday), 2 acans that only have one head each, one kryptonite trumpet that has two mouths and is trying to split, but so far hasn’t. A frag of nirvana/people eater zoas/palys, a dragon soul favia, a pocillopora that is slowly making a comeback from when I had a lighting issue, and going to be a green trachy. The trachy will be the biggest frag in the tank. Also a rainbow carpet nem and a blue long tentacle nem.

If your Ca tests low your salinity could be the reason. It may be lower than you think. 

I would buy a refractometer and calibration solution before more coral. They are less than $20 on amazon and the solution is around $10. Check calibration before every use since it is a cheap meter, they tend to stray faster but you can re-calibrate it no problem when that happens.

44 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

If your Ca tests low your salinity could be the reason. It may be lower than you think. 

I would buy a refractometer and calibration solution before more coral. They are less than $20 on amazon and the solution is around $10. Check calibration before every use since it is a cheap meter, they tend to stray faster but you can re-calibrate it no problem when that happens.

If you want to measure salinity easily just use an hydrometer such as JBL hydrometer... far more easier than a refractometer which you will have to calibrate often... 

+ make sure your parameters are right before adding livestock but it's just my point of view 😉

Meh I feel hydrometer leaves too much room for error over time if not properly cleaned, air bubbles, ect. Personally I think Ethan needs ez shit he can't screw up.

I have a feeling Ethan is using one of the plastic ones with a swing arm. Not the nicer glass one you listed. 

I have a $100 refractometer that seems to never need calibration but a cheap + solution is easier on the pocket book.

• Like 2
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
33 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Meh I feel hydrometer leaves too much room for error over time if not properly cleaned, air bubbles, ect. Personally I think Ethan needs ez shit he can't screw up.

I have a feeling Ethan is using one of the plastic ones with a swing arm. Not the nicer glass one you listed. 

I have a $100 refractometer that seems to never need calibration but a cheap + solution is easier on the pocket book.

Yea, the plastic one😂

That will be my next purchase

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I just can’t get lazy and I think that it will turn out looking good. I have to make sure I clean the tank properly at least once a week, but I’m going to try to work on cleaning everyday or every other day.

• Like 3
EthanPhillyCheesesteak

So I was just unplugging one of my wavemakers so I could feed my tank, and I forgot my hand was wet. The second it hit the plug, I got a shock sent throughout my body and I fell back and landed hard on my ass😂. My arm and ass still hurt 30 mins later😂

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
3 hours ago, kimberbee said:

Not normal, even with a wet hand... 

Really? I touched the outlet by accident with a wet hand? From what I’ve heard, that is supposed to shock you. And I know what I felt. It hurt