Innovative Marine Aquariums

29 gallon: R.E.E.F Tank

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
48 minutes ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

Zoas are pretty easy, and you can frag them fairly easily and almost always trade them for a different type of zoa from someone in your area. They come in just about any color you can imagine, and are fairly cheap to get started. 

Also, they're friendly with other corals, so you wouldn't have to worry about coral warfare if you add other things at a later date. 

19 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

How are the frags mounted on the plug? If they have rock or tile slide a butter knife into the joint and it'll pop off. 

If stuck direct to plug try and trim it off taking a slither of plug. I've not tried this yet. Waiting on my sump zoas to open up a bit more before I wade in with the knife

But do you think that some nirvana zoas and blue people eaters would look good on that rock? I’ll also eventually add some other zoas to the rock whenever I find something I really like that is affordable. How fast would they begin to reproduce?

27 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

But do you think that some nirvana zoas and blue people eaters would look good on that rock? I’ll also eventually add some other zoas to the rock whenever I find something I really like that is affordable. How fast would they begin to reproduce?

Yes without a doubt. Depends really the ones that I ordered online have opened and new growth is seen within the week. My freebies have been in the tank for 3 weeks and are only just starting to open. 

I'm wanting to do multiple gardens. One red, one blue, one green etc with a mix of zoas of that colour. The leftovers I'll put on a riot rock that'll be the remaining polyps

Try the Zoas on the frag first for height before cutting it off. Some prefer different lighting and flows to the others. 

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
11 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Yes without a doubt. Depends really the ones that I ordered online have opened and new growth is seen within the week. My freebies have been in the tank for 3 weeks and are only just starting to open. 

I'm wanting to do multiple gardens. One red, one blue, one green etc with a mix of zoas of that colour. The leftovers I'll put on a riot rock that'll be the remaining polyps

Try the Zoas on the frag first for height before cutting it off. Some prefer different lighting and flows to the others. 

That would look nice with that rainbow of colors👍. I’ll try and keep them on the frag for now and put them on the rock. Hopefully it’s not too much light.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

That would look nice with that rainbow of colors👍. I’ll try and keep them on the frag for now and put them on the rock. Hopefully it’s not too much light.

If you move em give them a few days to settle down, more if you have idiot shrimp and crabs that like to trample stuff 😤

NoOneLikesADryTang
45 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Zoas grow at different rates of speed. I've got some zoas that don't grow new heads very frequently, and I've got others that I can't frag fast enough. 

How many heads of each zoa do you have on your frag plugs? You may be able to get a few heads of each off, and glue them to rock, and leave the others on the plug to trade/sell at a later date. 

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
Just now, Ratvan said:

If you move em give them a few days to settle down, more if you have idiot shrimp and crabs that like to trample stuff 😤

I have one cleaner shrimp who is the most greedy thing I have ever seen. He’s so risky that when I feed my carpet nem, he will literally jump into the carpet nem and go after the food. He’s absolutely psychotic.

1 minute ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

Zoas grow at different rates of speed. I've got some zoas that don't grow new heads very frequently, and I've got others that I can't frag fast enough. 

How many heads of each zoa do you have on your frag plugs? You may be able to get a few heads of each off, and glue them to rock, and leave the others on the plug to trade/sell at a later date. 

There are maybe 6 nirvana heads and 3 people eaters.

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

Ok, so I have a hermit crab and I was told when o got him that he was a zebra hermit crab, when I got him he was very small. He has since grown quite large. He’s almost the size of a golf ball sized turbo snail and he is actually killing turbo snails left and right. I got him maybe 4 months ago. He’s in a turbo snail shell as of right now. He is standing on the murder site of his victim that he just mutilated. 

1CFB68F8-258E-46C4-BF2C-392F1C8D98C7.jpeg

A3C476C2-9513-4269-92D6-DABC56B67722.jpeg

63839936-DD89-428A-AAC5-4A64A6C001C3.jpeg

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
2 hours ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

Also, here’s the zoas

D914CF30-CF5C-430F-A498-ADEB922EB11D.jpeg

WV Reefer
3 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Ok, so I have a hermit crab and I was told when o got him that he was a zebra hermit crab, when I got him he was very small. He has since grown quite large. He’s almost the size of a golf ball sized turbo snail and he is actually killing turbo snails left and right. I got him maybe 4 months ago. He’s in a turbo snail shell as of right now. He is standing on the murder site of his victim that he just mutilated. 

1CFB68F8-258E-46C4-BF2C-392F1C8D98C7.jpeg

A3C476C2-9513-4269-92D6-DABC56B67722.jpeg

63839936-DD89-428A-AAC5-4A64A6C001C3.jpeg

Hermits need shell options or they will murder to find one. 

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
Just now, Ratvan said:

See if you can get some more spare shells. I have at least 12 randomly scattered in for mine. Let's them pick and choose what to wear.

Is it a zebra hermit, or something bigger?

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
Just now, WV Reefer said:

Hermits need shell options or they will murder to find one. 

I have a ton of shells in the tank. Literally there was a turbo shell the same size as the one he murdered not even 3 inches away from him?

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Is it a zebra hermit, or something bigger?

Mines a red legged/scarlet hermit. I've also kept terrestrial hermits in the past. It's all the same just different growth sizes and patterns and diet. 

As they grow they out grow not only their exotic but the shell. Theyll leave, molt and then sometimes be too large to re enter. Then a nice new home comes slowly past. It contains a meal as well..... two birds with one stone

Needs to be different types as well as sizes for body type, conch, spiral, half shells...

Also mostly hermits are always dicks. Always.

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
1 minute ago, Ratvan said:

Mines a red legged/scarlet hermit. I've also kept terrestrial hermits in the past. It's all the same just different growth sizes and patterns and diet. 

As they grow they out grow not only their exotic but the shell. Theyll leave, molt and then sometimes be too large to re enter. Then a nice new home comes slowly past. It contains a meal as well..... two birds with one stone

Needs to be different types as well as sizes for body type, conch, spiral, half shells...

Also mostly hermits are always dicks. Always.

I was just watching the hermit and my cleaner shrimp came up to him and he tried to murder the cleaner shrimp too? He grabbed hold of his tail and was trying to get to him, but my cleaner quickly got away. The hermit is still trying to chase him. I don’t know if this is normal for a hermit?

5 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

I was just watching the hermit and my cleaner shrimp came up to him and he tried to murder the cleaner shrimp too? He grabbed hold of his tail and was trying to get to him, but my cleaner quickly got away. The hermit is still trying to chase him. I don’t know if this is normal for a hermit?

Yup

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
4 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Yup

Ok good, I have never seen any of my hermits do that before, so I got nervous. I was considering banning him to the other tank😂.

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

Yea, I got some nori. I usually just feed him some flakes and mysis and that satisfys him.

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I put the zoas on the flat rock, they seem happy so far. The colors aren’t really popping on them right now, bc the blues aren’t very high. I turned them down to take these pictures.

8F425D06-D59D-4D63-ADFD-E35057BDB7AA.jpeg

C57A63F7-2CF1-4C90-9785-E157C2B18DAF.jpeg

47285110-D647-425A-B1D6-55D3014874AC.jpeg

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak

So my two turbo snails have been chasing each other for the past few hours. My big turbo snail has literally been on my smaller turbos butt for the past few hours wherever my small one goes, the big one is on its tail. Could they be mating or just acting weird?

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
Just now, jedimasterben said:

Snails are broadcast spawners.

Ok, do the baby’s usually live?