inTank Media Baskets

29 gallon: R.E.E.F Tank

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

ECLS Reefer
1 hour ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

I also touched the mystery thing. It’s squishy in the middle, but it’s hard on the edges. 

😬😬

I think a lot of people have given you critical comments, but you now seem to really be listening and I think your tank is liking it.  I have had a reef for several years but don't know near the info these other posters know.  Just keep moving slowly and do not change too many things at a time.  You will have a really awesome looking tank in no time if you keep working at it.

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
13 hours ago, kimdawg said:

I think a lot of people have given you critical comments, but you now seem to really be listening and I think your tank is liking it.  I have had a reef for several years but don't know near the info these other posters know.  Just keep moving slowly and do not change too many things at a time.  You will have a really awesome looking tank in no time if you keep working at it.

Ok thank you, I’ll keep it up

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
3 hours ago, jedimasterben said:

Also, what protein skimmer do you have on this thing?

I bought it about a month and a half ago 

0EA0D8D9-B25C-497B-8355-4506EA85F7B2.png

jedimasterben
11 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

I bought it about a month and a half ago 

0EA0D8D9-B25C-497B-8355-4506EA85F7B2.png

Better than nothing, but at least you have something. Otherwise those anemones you have would stand almost no chance.

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
Just now, jedimasterben said:

Better than nothing, but at least you have something. Otherwise those anemones you have would stand almost no chance.

Both anemones seem very happy. It’s a cheap protein skimmer, but it works well

3 hours ago, jedimasterben said:

Uh no. . Many people I know including me don't use skimmers in reefs with nems. 

You can never know if a tank is running a skimmer unless you actually see the skimmer... Just saying but a skimmer is just another form of nutrient export. 

@jedimasterben unless you meant specifically to this setup then yes 😅

Edited by OverCookedRock
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
31 minutes ago, OverCookedRock said:

You can never know if a tank is running a skimmer unless you actually see the skimmer... Just saying but a skimmer is just another form of nutrient export. 

So I don’t need it? I already spent the money for it, so I’m gonna use it. I kinda need it right now bc I’m still dealing with too much nutrients.

1 minute ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

So I don’t need it? I already spent the money for it, so I’m gonna use it. I kinda need it right now bc I’m still dealing with too much nutrients.

For you, yes. Once you figure out proper reef maintenance you can go skimmerless. Just gotta know what you're doing. 

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
Just now, OverCookedRock said:

For you, yes. Once you figure out proper reef maintenance you can go skimmerless. Just gotta know what you're doing. 

Ok thanks

It’s going crazy right now. The cyano is starting to die off, and I have to empty it at least once a day

Just now, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Ok thanks

It’s going crazy right now. The cyano is starting to die off, and I have to empty it at least once a day

Daily? Sounds like you're running wet maybe. 

jedimasterben
2 hours ago, OverCookedRock said:

@jedimasterben unless you meant specifically to this setup then yes 😅

While skimmerless is one approach (and one I have done with mild success), it is rare and rarely successful long term, as it tends to rely on the aquarist not failing to do their maintenance. Each methodology has its ups and downs and points of failure.

But yes, in this setup it is mission critical 😄

• Haha 2
43 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

What does that mean?

If you can adjust the cup up and down, skimming wet means the cup will be very low and collecting more water.  Skimming dry means the cup would be up higher and collecting less water.

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
49 minutes ago, DreC80 said:

If you can adjust the cup up and down, skimming wet means the cup will be very low and collecting more water.  Skimming dry means the cup would be up higher and collecting less water.

Ok, thanks

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I just checked my tank, and I have like a thousand little white things crawling on the glass? They are everywhere? They are too small to get a picture? They are all over the place? Could they be pods?

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak

The mystery object has either popped or its coming off. The flow made half of it come off the glass. It’s still attached to the glass, but it’s coming off. What was inside is gone.

19 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

I just checked my tank, and I have like a thousand little white things crawling on the glass? They are everywhere? They are too small to get a picture? They are all over the place? Could they be pods?

Things on the glass are pods. Yay!

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
2 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

Things on the glass are pods. Yay!

They are taking over, everyday I look at the glass there are more. There has to be more than a thousand right now 

Time for a mandarin😂

Naw, not yet. Maybe after everything is set up and everything’s stable

1 minute ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

They are taking over, everyday I look at the glass there are more. There has to be more than a thousand right now 

Time for a mandarin😂

Naw, not yet. Maybe after everything is set up and everything’s stable

A mandarin would strip that tank clean of pods in no time. Not a good idea. 

• Like 4