SaltCritters.com

Living Room Nano Peninsula

YHSublime

Glad to see your back 

This is one of my favorite builds. The stand is awesome. How has the top wood held up to the salt water? I want to build a similar stand with a w over size top piece that stock out further then the tank like yours.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 months later...
On 5/3/2021 at 7:48 PM, McCune said:

Glad to see your back 

This is one of my favorite builds. The stand is awesome. How has the top wood held up to the salt water? I want to build a similar stand with a w over size top piece that stock out further then the tank like yours.

Haha, thanks, I appreciate it!

It's held up great to saltwater. It was sealed and I wipe it down every time I'm done working on stuff. Highly recommend ledges!

51335375219_abf1eb6a1f_k.jpg

51333918787_3c57ceb7c0_k.jpg

51334864698_13a296fddd_k.jpg

Little frag tank I'm setting up/have setup but just need to put some more stuff in it:

51335375339_7c6323fa07_k.jpg

• Like 5
  • Wow 1
  • 4 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Reefkid88 said:

Looking amazing as usual bud. 

Appreciate the kind words! 

I haven't tested my alk in a year and a half. Actually, I've not really tested anything tbh. I try and do a water change every now and then, but I dropped my hannah checker into the water and a lot of my test kits expired. I got new ones, but part of me is terrified to go through the "figuring out what my tank is consuming" process and adjustment. 

• Like 2
On 8/21/2021 at 3:57 PM, YHSublime said:

Appreciate the kind words! 

I haven't tested my alk in a year and a half. Actually, I've not really tested anything tbh. I try and do a water change every now and then, but I dropped my hannah checker into the water and a lot of my test kits expired. I got new ones, but part of me is terrified to go through the "figuring out what my tank is consuming" process and adjustment. 

Looks amazing! I like your method lol, You are dosing right ? 

7 hours ago, medinar83 said:

Looks amazing! I like your method lol, You are dosing right ? 

Hey there, and thanks!

My method is madness. I am dosing. I use ESV 2part, and have for about 3 years at this stage. After posting this up I stopped being such a lazy bum and actually tested my Alk. I came in at a whopping 5.4dKH, who knows how long it's been sitting there, but proof that consistency is key, and I have been consistently terrible. 

As to not bring it up too fast (I try to do 1dKH a day) I am now 5 out from my horrific discovery, and have gotten it up to 6.7dKH. On an even crazier note, this tank has gone from consuming 14ml a day of each calcium and alkalinity solution to 31ml a day of each. My dosing containers will hold about a months worth of solution at this stage, so I'm wondering if I finally hook my sump up in the basement and live my dream of a ridiculously small tank with a comically large sump. 

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Got my alk back under control. Tank's pretty much on auto pilot at this stage. Here's some shots from the other side of the tank I normally don't share, as it's hard to get shots in such a narrow range. 

51497072048_2a5ea25d4a_k.jpg

51497072018_75938dcffa_k.jpg[/url]

51497776030_eaf01f9456_k.jpg

• Like 5
1 hour ago, banasophia said:

Gorgeous as always! 😍

Thank you!

24 minutes ago, Jaren45 said:

Looks great! What do you have your vortechs set to?

Ummm, medium? 

They're currently on Lagoon Random Mode at about 1/3 power. The coraline builds up on them really quickly these days, and I'm not as good about cleaning them as I used to be. I just soaked and cleaned them 2 weeks ago, everything always gets blasted once the powerheads are free and clear for optimal performance. 

Now that my alkalinity is straight (I tested for the first time really since my tank crash about a year and a half ago, it was 5.6 dKH in August, things are adjusting. I'm at 9dKH steady now and some of the acro has almost doubled in size. This will be the new tightrope I walk, keeping alkalinity adjusted in such a small tank with consumption rates changing very quickly as corals grow. 

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...
17 minutes ago, A.m.P said:

The contrast of the clowns in that final shot is awesome. And that Trachy is just so drop-dead gorgeous, which I think I've said before.

Yeah, that's my first set of lightening maroons, in a 11.4 I inherited from a local reefer. It needed a ton of fixing up, but it's a beautiful tank, and has been restored to most of it's old glory. I wasn't really jazzed on it, but it's slowly evolving into something 6 months later. 

I love the trachy as well, it fills in that space so well, and it's a beaut. Beats when I had a toxic green carpet anemone taking up the whole back of the tank! 

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

What's happening Nano Reefers? I've done some culling, and you might notice the back of my reef is anemoneless. While my clowns are super pissed, they will be rewarded with a Colorado Sunburst which I'll be adding (and hopefully it will stay) on the back rock. In anticipation of my new addition, I've removed all BTA's from the tank, done water changes, and cleared up the floor a little bit. What still needs to happen is scraping some of the encrusting corals off the side wall. 

51665237083_660142cbb8_o.jpg

51665006646_e764f911d8_o.jpg

51665237028_bd22854408_o.jpg

51665688824_ded1f50b52_o.jpg

51664200037_115516599f_o.jpg

• Like 7
  • Wow 2
  • 1 month later...
On 12/29/2021 at 1:09 PM, Reefkid88 said:

The addition of T5's is just REMARKABLE man. I love it. 

How is everything going on your end ? 

thanks! And happy new year!

peachy over here. Just chugging along, tinkering with the tank and working all the time!

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, DevilDuck said:

I think you have my favorite bare bottom tanks!

Cheers, much appreciated! Once I went barebottom I never looked back, just takes a little bit longer to look "grown in" than with sand.