Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Living Room Nano Peninsula

YHSublime

1 hour ago, YHSublime said:

Hey There! The tank is chugging along. I had a huge bryopsis outbreak that came out of left field. With a water change and fluconazole dose it cleared everything right up. I had some mini colonies that were not getting enough flow on the insides of the rock, so I trimmed everything back a bit, and everything has never looked better. The polyp extension got better, and visible on some sticks that otherwise have never had any since they've been in my tank. 

I of course got excited with the concept of having more space, and I've found a 5'x3'x18" monster. The move is tomorrow - the end of November, so this tank will continue to grow well into the summer, just in a new location! 

Because I firmly believe no good things happen fast, I'm going to use the next 6 months to slowly sell some frags to help sponsor the build, and go the European version of cycling for 3 months before any additions. I currently have reached out to the same person who has built my stand for the 22, and they are going to work with me on my visions for the "170." 

And because what's the point if there's not a photo, here's stick island:

48909895641_c4b73ea016_b.jpg

with that many acros on that awesome looking rock, yet my eyes couldn't stop staring at the red digitata on the tank floor - that's an epic red!

• Like 2
55 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

with that many acros on that awesome looking rock, yet my eyes couldn't stop staring at the red digitata on the tank floor - that's an epic red!

That's a bubble gum digi. 

I've yet to pull ANY of the other colors that should come along with it. I'm starting to think it's not a bubble gum digi 😂

• Haha 2

Gosh thats got to be one of the most colorful rocks I have seen. I agree with Mittenreef. That digi is crazy and my eyes went right to it. It looks so thick. 

This thread is full if eye candy. 

5 hours ago, YHSublime said:

That's a bubble gum digi. 

I've yet to pull ANY of the other colors that should come along with it. I'm starting to think it's not a bubble gum digi 😂

I think you can’t see all the colors because the polyps are just so dang fluffy and cover up everything. 

12 hours ago, Elizabeth94 said:

Gosh thats got to be one of the most colorful rocks I have seen. I agree with Mittenreef. That digi is crazy and my eyes went right to it. It looks so thick. 

This thread is full if eye candy. 

It's funny, because sometimes when people see my tank they become enamored with the GSP on my overflow. I'm all like "check out this expensive sticks colors!" and they're all like "yeah, but what's that wavy grass?!"

Thanks for stopping by and checking it out! 

11 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

I think you can’t see all the colors because the polyps are just so dang fluffy and cover up everything. 

Polyp extension in this tank turned into the real deal when I added an additional MP10, there's a lot of flow in there. I've had to trim some of my outside the rock SPS pieces so flow could get through to others on the inside. The level of light and water movement that's happening in this little box is astounding, and necessary! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • 2 months later...

Well, big update. I've moved this tank into my new house, and everything is still doing well! 

So this tank is now nearly 2.5 years old (next month it will be.) 

I fully intend to keep this running, but have slowly begun to start the bigger tank planning, which will here by the end of this month. The tank is 5'x3'x18". The tank will be going in the basement, which is unfinished currently, but will be finished by the time I start to set it up. Here is a view from halfway in the basement.  

49320022166_4aedcec5f7_k.jpg

The left hand side will be my office. the right hand side will be the laundry room. I plan on removing the banister and the shelving at the top of the stairs into the basement.

49319526218_aaf2cebf27_k.jpg

The above is a shot of the left hand side. The basement is incredibly messy right now, and a combination of my reef junk and my brewing equipment, none of which are organized. I plan on polishing the floors and framing/drywalling. Where you see the stairs coming down in the above photo, the framed out room will come out to where the laminate tiles currently are, and frame up against the finished wall with a door. 

Below is a photo of the "room" from the corner of what will be the office. I plan on the tank going on the back left wall, with a 6" bar lip on the stand on the front, and maybe the right hand side of the tank. Underneath the stairs pops over to the other side right now, completely open. I'm hoping to make those areas access panels so I can keep a water mixing station underneath the stairs, and access the sump from the back of the stand as well if need be. 

49320022146_9eab33bc2e_k.jpg

• Like 6
3 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

Glad to hear the move went well. Congratulations. You are going to be very busy.

Thanks! I have indeed been very busy. Good thing is I already have a tank, so I can take my sweet time. 

2 hours ago, Frag Factory said:

😍 😍 😍 😍

That sounds like something special!

Yeah, I'm pretty stoked on it!

Here's a few of my favorite things:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B63XhLwhHaW/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

• Like 1

49337230097_a617ff7943_k.jpg

Here's a shot of a few of the changes. I don't have a lens short enough to get a photo directly in "front" of the tank.

49336545623_c78e9fddf4_k.jpg

I haven't had time to get in there and clean the glass, and I've been picking up on my feeding schedule, probably due for a water change. 

I also had a chance to get my hands on a par meter again, I imagine some things have changed since the move. I'm betting I could probably turn my light up again.

49337356082_c7ebce3f50_k.jpg[/url]

Prior results

48050032728_a928f5b4da_k.jpg

• Like 3
WindyCityReefer.

I absolutely love everything about this tank - choice of coral, light and aquascape. Truly an amazing build! 

You have also inspired me to take the plunge and go bare-bottom with my lagoon. Keep up with the updates. I will be following for sure!

• Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, WindyCityReefer. said:

I absolutely love everything about this tank - choice of coral, light and aquascape. Truly an amazing build! 

You have also inspired me to take the plunge and go bare-bottom with my lagoon. Keep up with the updates. I will be following for sure!

thanks for following along! 

barebottom is tops, you’re gonna love it.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
22 hours ago, ReefingLouie said:

I'm dying for an update on that lovely tank!!!

Ask and ye' shall receive! 

It's been a hot minute since I've updated, with a few additions (it's a sickness, seriously). Everything is chugging along. I added a Watchman Goby and Pistol Shrimp combo. A local reefer was going to flush them, and, well, figured even a bare bottom tank would be better than the porcelain gods. I have an affinity for the weird and broken, and the Goby has only one working eye. That doesn't slow it down any! I thought the pistol died when I found it stuck on the bottom of an MP10, but I should have checked closer, that way when I heard the clicking of what sounds like marbles rolling around the tank, I wouldn't have been so shocked. Turns out it was just a molt, and they are happily paired up in the middle of my tank now instead of the back! 

I've upped my dosing regimen to 20ml of each ESV solution a day now, and have some new reagents on the way to test (found mine were a year past). Corals are growing into each other, and now up the sides of the tank, so I'll have to start doing something about that soon. 

A local reefer was breaking down their 15 year old system, and I thought, what better than 15 year old rock?! So I have a 150 rubbermaid with all my cycle rock (about 2 weeks) and then another 200lbs or so of very very old reef rock. With the addition came some colonies, as well as a powder brown tang, and one of the largest maroon clowns I've ever laid eyes on.

I have a Goldflake Angel pair that I will be adding to a new QT in the basement, as well as an imperator for the new tank, so everything is coming together nicely! 

49611710657_c89df164b8_k.jpg

49610936158_761c9c29d9_k.jpg

49611710807_fbf3bdf1ea_k.jpg

49611454086_0acfb9f7ce_k.jpg

• Like 5
  • Wow 4
1 minute ago, Reefkid88 said:

Sweet baby Jeebus !!! I'm happy to see things moving along nicely !! 

Same! The tank has found its stride since November last year, I’m counting the Rubbermaid as a second tank 😆

• Like 2

That is always a good sign. You are one of the very few rhat has no not a long list of problems and then tank has been on auto-pilot for awhile. Looks like you will have to do some major trimming her soon. 

• Like 2
ReefingLouie

Wow it is so lovely thank you! Im glad I can feast my eyes on a new wallpaper! I am in the works of setting up my own Mr. Aqua 22 because of your inspiration! I wanted to ask, are you still just running filter sock, refugium and skimmer in the sump? 

23 hours ago, Reefkid88 said:

That is always a good sign. You are one of the very few rhat has no not a long list of problems and then tank has been on auto-pilot for awhile. Looks like you will have to do some major trimming her soon. 

Definitely some trimming on the way. I wouldn't say I don't have a long list of problems, just not a lot of reef related ones, lol! 

4 hours ago, ReefingLouie said:

Wow it is so lovely thank you! Im glad I can feast my eyes on a new wallpaper! I am in the works of setting up my own Mr. Aqua 22 because of your inspiration! I wanted to ask, are you still just running filter sock, refugium and skimmer in the sump? 

Haha, you're very kind to say so. I'm glad I could inspire, these tanks are my favorite. 

I ran filter socks for such a short amount of time I wouldn't even say I ran them. I currently run my skimmer heavy, and I can't grow much of anything in the refugium. The corals are consuming most of everything in the tank I suspect, and algae just can't really grab a hold. Keep in mind I started with mostly all dry rock, and it took my system probably a year until it was really SPS ready, and through it's complete cycling. If you can play the waiting game, IME, I've found it's always the best way to build an established tank. I'm currently cycling 400lbs of live rock which although has completed it's cycle, I will continue to run for months until I even start scaping. 

Dude,wtf lmao same here man. I completely hear that. But tank related,its been a smooooth road for you/tank. 

I wish my tank was wet,I want some of your acro's.. 

• Like 1
ReefingLouie

Thank you! I appreciate all the information and advice! I'll be very patient, anything to achieve your results :)

Can't wait to see the progression of your Mr Aqua and your next project :)  

• Thanks 1
ReefingLouie
On 8/17/2018 at 8:09 AM, YHSublime said:

Thanks! A lot of changes still. 

87 (3W) LED's. 

10 Royal blue Cree 1000mA
5 Neutral White Cree 1000mA
2 405nm violet Exotic brand 750mA
2 430nm violet Exotic brand 750mA
4 Cool blue Cree 750mA
3 660nm deep red Exotic brand 750mA
3 cyan Exotic brand 750mA

4092 Channels. 

Was built by a local club member and run on a 75 gallon. Will go over my 22 gallon. It's way overkill, but I'll never have to run it at full capacity, and I think I'll see all the growth I need, without the heat. 

Here is a video of me playing around with it from 0-100 after I got everything wired up.

I love your LED System, I am trying to build an exact replica! Haha but I don't seem to find a diffuser 😞 . Also wanted to ask, if you would recommend any changes to your fixture that I can probably implement into mine! Which lighting for overall performance would you say worked best for you ATI or Custom Fixture? And how do you like the Orphek Atlantik so far for the new build? Sorry for amount of questions I'm new to all of this! Thank You!!

8 hours ago, ReefingLouie said:

I love your LED System, I am trying to build an exact replica! Haha but I don't seem to find a diffuser 😞 . Also wanted to ask, if you would recommend any changes to your fixture that I can probably implement into mine! Which lighting for overall performance would you say worked best for you ATI or Custom Fixture? And how do you like the Orphek Atlantik so far for the new build? Sorry for amount of questions I'm new to all of this! Thank You!!

Hey there! No worries on the questions, that’s what these forums are for! So I was lucky enough to have someone much smarter than me build me build the light fixture for their old 100 gallon. I’ve got to many other things happening and hobbies that I shouldn’t take on anything else!

i like LEDs because of the efficiency, color pop, and least amount of heat, which is very important to me always being in smaller spaces until recently. I liked the T5s, and probably got my best growth with them, but again, heat, and bulb changes.

if I could make any changes, I wouldn’t, it’s Powerhouse and really was overbuilt for a much larger tank. I can adjust the channels with the storm x controller to get a more natural look, and still pop it onto all blues if i want to see what my coral looks like under a black light effect! 

I’m digging the Orpheks, but they are pricy, at the end of the day, I would go with whatever works for you, if the power bill and heat wasn’t an issue, I’d probably go metal halides with an Orphek blue strip or two. 

• Like 1