SaltCritters.com

Living Room Nano Peninsula

YHSublime

ReefingLouie

I appreciate it! Your reef tank looked stunning both in T5s and LEDs! I'm glad your liking the Orpheks, I've been considering the smaller one just cause its so simple and ready to use. Looks awesome over your rubbermaid tub!! If you lived in California I would've definitely loved to take a drive buy some rock from you!! Thanks again brother! 😀

• Like 1
10 hours ago, ReefingLouie said:

I appreciate it! Your reef tank looked stunning both in T5s and LEDs! I'm glad your liking the Orpheks, I've been considering the smaller one just cause its so simple and ready to use. Looks awesome over your rubbermaid tub!! If you lived in California I would've definitely loved to take a drive buy some rock from you!! Thanks again brother! 😀

you got it! We have a local hobbyist veteran that says “it’s light, it grows things.” While that is indeed an over simplification, I’ve used everything from black box LEDs to metal halides, and they’ve all worked. 

I like having scaping options, so I’m curing about 300+lbs of rock. About half of it came from a quasi local who broke down a 15 year old reef. I got the largest CUC package I could from Reef Cleaners, and have them cleaning it up a la natural. If you’re using dry rock, I’d start cycling the rock now if possible, find a local refer you trust with pest free tank, and get a piece of rock to seed it. I got small containers of sand from friends for the nano, and used about 4 different tanks biodiversity to extend mine. 

his is the harder side to shoot, as I’m up against a wall. Still quite a few lps and softies in here despite being SPS dominant. Notice the return nozzle is covered in GSP, same with the back wall. I love it, but not on my rock thank you very much!

2F0C2919-62BC-4158-8C32-F07D6CAD5FDF.jpeg

• Like 6
2 hours ago, Scorched said:

"Stick Island" is filling in very nicely.

Yeah, slowly but surely. I dose ESV B ionic, and my consumption has more than doubled over the past 4 weeks. I was dosing 15ml a day, and now I'm up to 35ml of each solution. If the tank wasn't so small I'd consider a carx. 

2 hours ago, Scorched said:

Any news on the big tank?

There is some movement on the big tank! I have slowly been cooking rock (300+ lbs) half of it is fresh cycled rock, and the other half has been mixed in with rock from a 15 year old tank break down of a local reefer. With that rock came a 12 year old Powder Brown Tang, and a 12 year old gigantic Maroon Clownfish. I've put them into a 100 gallon rubbermaid stock tub that they are in with a mix of the rock. 

I also have a 150 with the other half of the mixed rock, which I recently this past weekend added in two juvenile Goldflake Angelfish. I'm holding out hope that they will be a pair, one is much larger, and has the blue bottom jaw already, the smaller one does not. They follow each other all around, but it's only been 48 hours, and they're still very shy. I saw them eating, and they actually ate during acclimation, but they are not used to being in so much water in captivity, so seem to have a hard time finding the food. I've been broadcast feeding LRS, black worms soaked in selcon, pellets, and flakes. This is why they are in the bigger tank but so small, so hopefully I can go longer on water changes. 

While I picked up the angels, I dropped off some pieces of really nice live edge red oak that will be used for the ledge on the new stand. The fellow reefer (and carpenter) is the same guy who built my stand for this nano, and we are building the big one with the same style in mind. The only downside is because people have seen what a great job he does, he's been booked up for quite some time now, and it wont be done until probably end of April. The tank, which is in my possession, is sitting on the floor being used as the water mixing station for the two rubbermaid tubs, so it holds water! 

I have all my equipment ready to rock and roll, and so once the stand is here and ready to roll, I can aquascape and setup everything right away. I'm just trying to be preemptive with the rock, which will take the longest amount of time. 

E5255E4C-1753-410D-A59D-983635E807DE.jpeg

91D6DD75-0F9E-499C-9BB6-E4BFAB5381FF.jpeg

ADAD8313-52AD-4E00-AC4F-D9352DE2C3B3.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Wow 5
33 minutes ago, ReefingLouie said:

Thats stunning! All your running is a protein skimmer on your rubbermaids?

Hehe, not unless the skimmers use two additional outlets going to various different parts of each tub =p

1 hour ago, ReefingLouie said:

Thats stunning! All your running is a protein skimmer on your rubbermaids?

1 hour ago, Amphrites said:

Hehe, not unless the skimmers use two additional outlets going to various different parts of each tub =p

each tub has live rock, a gyre, and a skimmer. 

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
mitten_reef
On 3/10/2020 at 3:48 PM, YHSublime said:

Yeah, slowly but surely. I dose ESV B ionic, and my consumption has more than doubled over the past 4 weeks. I was dosing 15ml a day, and now I'm up to 35ml of each solution. If the tank wasn't so small I'd consider a carx. 

There is some movement on the big tank! I have slowly been cooking rock (300+ lbs) half of it is fresh cycled rock, and the other half has been mixed in with rock from a 15 year old tank break down of a local reefer. With that rock came a 12 year old Powder Brown Tang, and a 12 year old gigantic Maroon Clownfish. I've put them into a 100 gallon rubbermaid stock tub that they are in with a mix of the rock. 

I also have a 150 with the other half of the mixed rock, which I recently this past weekend added in two juvenile Goldflake Angelfish. I'm holding out hope that they will be a pair, one is much larger, and has the blue bottom jaw already, the smaller one does not. They follow each other all around, but it's only been 48 hours, and they're still very shy. I saw them eating, and they actually ate during acclimation, but they are not used to being in so much water in captivity, so seem to have a hard time finding the food. I've been broadcast feeding LRS, black worms soaked in selcon, pellets, and flakes. This is why they are in the bigger tank but so small, so hopefully I can go longer on water changes. 

While I picked up the angels, I dropped off some pieces of really nice live edge red oak that will be used for the ledge on the new stand. The fellow reefer (and carpenter) is the same guy who built my stand for this nano, and we are building the big one with the same style in mind. The only downside is because people have seen what a great job he does, he's been booked up for quite some time now, and it wont be done until probably end of April. The tank, which is in my possession, is sitting on the floor being used as the water mixing station for the two rubbermaid tubs, so it holds water! 

I have all my equipment ready to rock and roll, and so once the stand is here and ready to roll, I can aquascape and setup everything right away. I'm just trying to be preemptive with the rock, which will take the longest amount of time. 

E5255E4C-1753-410D-A59D-983635E807DE.jpeg

91D6DD75-0F9E-499C-9BB6-E4BFAB5381FF.jpeg

ADAD8313-52AD-4E00-AC4F-D9352DE2C3B3.jpeg

Great that you have the room and the time to get the rock cooking. Can’t imagine dealing with 150 gallons of uglies.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
57 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

Great that you have the room and the time to get the rock cooking. Can’t imagine dealing with 150 gallons of uglies.  

its in the ugly phase now, two tubs of blah, lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • 1 month later...

Welp, probably about time for a small update. I've cleaned up the tank a little bit, and decluttered some of the softies and LPS. Everything is chugging along, only issue I'm having now is coral warfare. Not a bad issue to have I suppose, but makes me really glad I got a jump start on cooking some rock for the tank downstairs. The biggest difference, besides space, is that I plan on running a calcium reactor, which is a little nerve wracking, but I guess I had that seed planted last time I was here reading my above comments. I'll also be running an alkatronic. 

49624018643_6c4923712c_k.jpg

Speaking of downstairs, I've updated with my Goldflake pair, but stopped there! Things have gotten a little bit busier. Originally the Goldflakes were very shy, and there are no faster fish than a juvenile angelfish. I also added a juvie Blueface. And I didn't just stop there, I have an adult Imperator also in the 150 tub with the other 3. They get along great (at least for now) and it's a blast to watch them all during feeding times. 

• Like 3
  • Wow 2
RustyRocket

Love the Goldflakes, when I go full SPS, I might consider one. But the blue face and emperor...you plan on mixing all 3 species in a coral tank? Please keep an log going if thats the case. Would love to see the tank succeed with angels. 

3 minutes ago, RustyRocket said:

Love the Goldflakes, when I go full SPS, I might consider one. But the blue face and emperor...you plan on mixing all 3 species in a coral tank? Please keep an log going if thats the case. Would love to see the tank succeed with angels. 

Out of all the Angelfish, the Goldflakes are considered to be the most reef friendly. I 100% plan on keeping all 3 species in one tank. Currently the stock tank is holding a few softies and some montipora. They came with the rock, and honestly I don't really care much about them, but they were pretty much dead when I got them, and now are making a really slow come back. I've only seen the imperator take a bite at some hammer coral, everything else is sitting pretty. 

The downstairs tank will be 100% SPS dominated, I plan on transferring my mini colonies downstairs once the rock has been going for another 3 months or so (half a year should be a good jump start!) I don't plan on moving any "frags" into it, that way I'll save myself any aggravation if the fish much. Currently downstairs I also have a Powder Brown Tang, and I'm grabbing an Achilles as well. After that I plan on a handful (5-15) cardinal fish or similar that will shoal/stick together. The great thing about this stay at home stuff is that my fish get fed x3 a day, and exclusively frozen, so they are all happy and fat. 

• Like 3

Hell yeah,glad to hear things are chugging along nicely. Time to frag again already,huh ? 

I think we need some lovely top down shots 😉

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Reefkid88 said:

Hell yeah,glad to hear things are chugging along nicely. Time to frag again already,huh ? 

Slow and steady. I was just thinking how all my builds used to have to be done yesterday, I'm either getting patient, apathetic, lazy, or all 3. 

5 minutes ago, Reefkid88 said:

I think we need some lovely top down shots 😉

Ask and ye shall receive! 

49624807492_2f81a8fed0_k.jpg

• Like 4
  • Wow 3

Who knows my dude. Who knows. I've got a stand being built right now. I've got the equipment already, so we're good on that front. I have the plumbing, but think I'm going to roll hard plumbing with a manifold for additional things down the line. 

Now that being said.... I've got to acid stain the cement floors, frame, run electric, drywall, so hopefully in like a month? 

• Like 2
teenyreef

I finally got caught up - wow, this is still one of my favorite tanks :wub:

I think your getting the big tank set up just in time, though. You're almost to the point I got to in the 40g when the colonies got big enough to go into overdrive and try to take over everything.

YHSublime
12 hours ago, teenyreef said:

I finally got caught up - wow, this is still one of my favorite tanks :wub:

Thanks very much for the kind words! 

12 hours ago, teenyreef said:

I think your getting the big tank set up just in time, though. You're almost to the point I got to in the 40g when the colonies got big enough to go into overdrive and try to take over everything.

I think you're right, this is the time. Most of the colonies are kicking into overdrive right now. My alk consumption has gone from 15ml to almost 50ml per day in under two months. The frags that are placed in and around the bigger pieces aren't getting enough light, or flow, which is crazy, because I've got x2 mp10's on pretty much full blast, with the return pump as well! 

The ridiculous part is, if I really wanted to, I could put everything into the new tank from the 22, so essentially 180 gallons, and not have to buy any more coral! 

• Like 2
mitten_reef
On 4/28/2020 at 3:19 PM, YHSublime said:

Welp, probably about time for a small update. I've cleaned up the tank a little bit, and decluttered some of the softies and LPS. Everything is chugging along, only issue I'm having now is coral warfare. Not a bad issue to have I suppose, but makes me really glad I got a jump start on cooking some rock for the tank downstairs. The biggest difference, besides space, is that I plan on running a calcium reactor, which is a little nerve wracking, but I guess I had that seed planted last time I was here reading my above comments. I'll also be running an alkatronic. 

49624018643_6c4923712c_k.jpg

Speaking of downstairs, I've updated with my Goldflake pair, but stopped there! Things have gotten a little bit busier. Originally the Goldflakes were very shy, and there are no faster fish than a juvenile angelfish. I also added a juvie Blueface. And I didn't just stop there, I have an adult Imperator also in the 150 tub with the other 3. They get along great (at least for now) and it's a blast to watch them all during feeding times. 

Is that your cooking tub?  Should just run it as a topdown-only tank 🤣, pretty sweet scape and fish! 

• Like 2
YHSublime
39 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

Is that your cooking tub?  Should just run it as a topdown-only tank 🤣, pretty sweet scape and fish! 

If you're talking about the tub with fish other than clowns in it, then yes! That's one of my 3 rock/fish cooking/holding tubs. It'd be pretty sweet to run as a top down, but it would mean I paid quite a bit of money for a tank (and getting it moved into my basement) and stand. That and my SO would probably have a bit of a fit if I ended up keeping these any longer than I already have, she's been very patient! 

Glad you like the aquascape, I call it: "Throwing the rock in so it's not a mound in the middle of the tank!" 

• Haha 3
  • 2 weeks later...
ReefahBarra84

Dude, your tank has been an inspiration for me.

I'm doing something similar in my place, but a bit different.  Awesome tank man, just badass in general