Pod Your Reef

Living Room Nano Peninsula

YHSublime

What a great tank! I was thinking of setting up a peninsula and now I think I will be definitely getting one! I love the acid reflux zoas I also have a nice colony growing in my bio cube 29. 

A7917C06-D0AF-4F28-8DFA-7D03C3605E96.jpeg

What a difference a year makes!

Here is a shot of the tank 8/26/18

43445451164_b117fba2db_h.jpg

And here is a shot of the tank 8/8/19

48485451791_ec4010cb90_h.jpg

It does not feel like a year has gone by since I took the first photo, but I'm happy that things are still alive! 

I have been getting better about doing water changes, that got put on hold for a while, and I'm holding myself more accountable. Something that is really blowing my mind is these dove snails or collumbellid snails. They are naturally reproducing, and have been going gangbusters in the tank. Just to give an idea of how much they are reproducing, I cleaned my glass yesterday. There were a ton of little white baby snails that I scraped off while cleaning the glass. I also scrapped the egg sacs off the glass yesterday afternoon. I was worried about them blowing all over the tank, or killing them, but here is a picture from this afternoon:

48485452456_5ce2adb3c4_h.jpg

Check out this FTS I took this afternoon as well, you can see they have already laid the egg sacs all over the glass again:

48485609957_cb52e0fdf1_h.jpg

I am not complaining though! They are small, but mighty. They are very good algae grazers, so I will take what I can get, especially when that means I don't have to restock my CUC as frequently! 

My skimmer pump has stopped working for the past few days. I don't really mind, and my corals don't seem to either. If I wasn't keeping up on the water changes it might be a different story. I plan on servicing all my pumps and wavemakers this weekend, so it'll get back online then. 

• Like 6
  • Wow 4
8 hours ago, YHSublime said:

What a difference a year makes!

Even a year ago, this was a tank that most reefers only dream about having some day. Stellar work! Everything looks amazing! 👌

• Like 3
1 hour ago, billygoat said:

Even a year ago, this was a tank that most reefers only dream about having some day. Stellar work! Everything looks amazing! 👌

Thank you! When I look at it though I still see it as a year ago, it's hard to notice the growth when you're staring closely at it day to day! 

• Like 2
28 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

🤩🤔 Can a tank win TOTM multiple times? 

Given enough time in between features, the answer seems to be yes! @Nano sapiens's 12g mixed reef won TOTM in August 2013 and August 2018. Give it a few years and this peninsula will be back on the front page banner, I'm sure. 👌😉 Although if this growth keeps up you're probably going to have to upgrade before then. 😁

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • 4 weeks later...
On 8/8/2019 at 4:31 PM, Tigahboy said:

🤩🤔 Can a tank win TOTM multiple times? 

On 8/8/2019 at 5:01 PM, billygoat said:

Given enough time in between features, the answer seems to be yes! @Nano sapiens's 12g mixed reef won TOTM in August 2013 and August 2018. Give it a few years and this peninsula will be back on the front page banner, I'm sure. 👌😉 Although if this growth keeps up you're probably going to have to upgrade before then. 😁

LoL, y'all crack me up. The tank is still chugging along, I didn't clean the glass at all (for a long time now) so I could show everyone the baby snails that are still popping up with some quick and dirty photos from last night. 

I'm starting to see some pretty intense coral warfare, so I'll have to do some trimming and probably deciding who's going to fill in prime real estate. The only thing I'm really doing these days besides feeding the clowns is an water change x2 a month, and it's a bit boring tbh. 

I'm also debating cleaning up my glass floor. Some zoanthids have taken to growing out, but I think my flow is so high now that there's not a lot of real estate for them to thrive in comfortably. 

48674755967_98c29c54ae_c.jpg

48674755932_dd42872842_c.jpg

• Like 8
  • Wow 1
  • 2 weeks later...

It's been a real big week for this tank! For starters, I ended up pulling the trigger on a frag pack that was looking real nice: vivid confetti, wwc pink panther, wwc king Fiji, & wwc pink passion. Upon loading everything up onto my already packed frag rack, I determined that I 1.) Have a problem 2.) had to rescape if I wanted to get the rack off the side.

I've been on the lookout for a few more fish, and the universe aligned and I got 2 great candidates. First was a Midas Blenny. What I thought was going to be a traditional blenny is actually the blue/purple kind with a yellow tail, which upon research is the harder one to come across. I know they change colors when stressed, but I can assure you this greedy guts fish is not stressed. It's been less than a week and this glutton is pretty much eating from my fingers.

The second is a spotted mandarin. This came from a tank with another mandarin who was abusing it pretty bad (2 males in the same tank.) While there is a few bite marks on it's back from being attacked, it's eating frozen every time I feed, and seems to snack on pods all day long, as expected. I was worried the blenny was going to be aggressive, but they seem to have gotten it worked out.

With the rescape came the chance to take out rocks and do a water change. I was able to do a comprehensive sweep of the bottom of the tank and rid all the clutter and detritus, with a not so smooth coraline bottom left behind! While I was at it, I noticed I've been getting a bit of hair algae through out the tank, and it's probably because I need to change my RO/DI filters. So I ordered some new ones, and figured it's probably been about or close to 2 years on the membrane, so ordered one of those as well.

I still have to go in and snap off the bottom of the frag plugs and glue them back, I was so excited about getting my frag rack gone I simply glued the full plugs and all to the rock, and it looks sloppy. I was also able to pack the dragons breath a little tighter back in the corner.

What is everybody's thoughts on the new back end of the tank?

48745419097_b14bc9d0d9_b.jpg

48744905763_bc86be8841_b.jpg

• Wow 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, semi large update -

Pending a home inspection we are going to be moving into a house by October 31st. It's only 45 minutes away from the tanks location, but we still have to get the floors finished before moving everything over.

In the past, I've always enjoyed a good re-boot, but I'm thinking about attempting the move and setting up as is. While we will have the space for me to finally pull in a 180-250, I have really enjoyed focusing on a smaller tank, and have found it to be just as rewarding.

I guess it can't be all good. I do have some very mild spots of what appears to be bryopsis popping up. I do have fluconazole on hand, and wonder if I will stress the tank if I dose before moving it. That and while I've been so busy, my PC Rainbow snuck onto my JF Homewrecker plug and RTN'd the thing to death. I guess the silver lining there is in than less than 2 weeks the PC Rainbow grew/encrusted 1/4-1/2".

Anyways, here's some photos from tonight!

48789938333_9def837284_b.jpg

48790301536_8ec0ec770d_b.jpg

48790446947_9df8072e57_b.jpg

• Like 3
  • Wow 2

I'm glad to see that you are thinking about keeping the tank and not upgrading,but I almost feel like it would be a good idea to go slightly larger. 

Especially if you can reuse all your equipment. I mean I'm sure you know but a upgrade is probably needed here soon especially with how good things are running/growing. 

So wait which coral got murdered,the PC right ?!?!?!?! 

16 hours ago, Reefkid88 said:

I'm glad to see that you are thinking about keeping the tank and not upgrading,but I almost feel like it would be a good idea to go slightly larger. 

Especially if you can reuse all your equipment. I mean I'm sure you know but a upgrade is probably needed here soon especially with how good things are running/growing. 

So wait which coral got murdered,the PC right ?!?!?!?! 

It's always a good idea to go a bit bigger, but as mentioned, I enjoy the challenges of the smaller tank! It would be pretty rad to stock up on some of my favorite wrasse and angels, but mo' water mo' problems! We will have a lot to do, and I think undertaking a new project like a bigger tank just isn't a reality at the moment. There's about 5 years of tree pruning that needs to happen, a ton of painting, and the big one: the floors. We're not really sure what the front of our house looks like right now because of old school awnings from the 70's and trees that have essentially forested in the front yard, lol. I'm eager to get in there are start doing some massive pruning, but we don't get the keys till the 10/31, and everything I've read about pruning says that the fall is the worst time to trim trees. 

I can of course reuse a lot of my current equipment, but things like lights would only take me up to 100 gallons or so in the 4' realm of tanks, and I'd be looking at around 180 I think, unless I could find an old Deep Blue 80 gallon, that might make me change my mind! 

I'm sorry to report it was the Homewrecker that got wrecked. The PC Rainbow stung it to hell and back, in a matter of 2 weeks, can't pay attention all the time. Luckily that was my first big casualty with this tank. 

Oh man I was talking about maybe just a 40g breeder or something of that nature lol you wanna go super big !!! 

I can definitely see where you are coming from though and really can't blame you though. 

I personally love pico's myself so I know the feeling of a challenge and definitely more water more problems lol. 

I'm sure you'll get it all figured out in due time and when you decide to upgrade it'll be badass. That sucks about the HW... 😞

• Like 1
4 hours ago, William said:

I think something around 80 gal would be ideal ...

Get outta' my head! I just said this to somebody else, if I could find one of the old Deep Blue 80's I'd go for it. 

On 9/24/2019 at 3:42 PM, YHSublime said:

Well, semi large update -

Pending a home inspection we are going to be moving into a house by October 31st. It's only 45 minutes away from the tanks location, but we still have to get the floors finished before moving everything over.

In the past, I've always enjoyed a good re-boot, but I'm thinking about attempting the move and setting up as is. While we will have the space for me to finally pull in a 180-250, I have really enjoyed focusing on a smaller tank, and have found it to be just as rewarding.

I guess it can't be all good. I do have some very mild spots of what appears to be bryopsis popping up. I do have fluconazole on hand, and wonder if I will stress the tank if I dose before moving it. That and while I've been so busy, my PC Rainbow snuck onto my JF Homewrecker plug and RTN'd the thing to death. I guess the silver lining there is in than less than 2 weeks the PC Rainbow grew/encrusted 1/4-1/2".

Anyways, here's some photos from tonight!

48789938333_9def837284_b.jpg

48790301536_8ec0ec770d_b.jpg

48790446947_9df8072e57_b.jpg

oh, not the homewrecker!

• Sad 1
On 9/25/2019 at 3:16 PM, YHSublime said:

Get outta' my head! I just said this to somebody else, if I could find one of the old Deep Blue 80's I'd go for it. 

I just got myself the Reefer 350 at 73 gallons. I have the tank on the stand and realise its quite big on its own. I'd say I'm average and is just about able to reach to the back bottom seam of the tank. Any larger and I would struggle. 

So I agree, 80 gallons is just about right. Good stability yet manageable. Water changes are still effective at this volume 👌

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
7 hours ago, metrokat said:

How goes this lovely tank? Your move is coming up, what did you decide about the tank - upgrade or move over?

Hey There! The tank is chugging along. I had a huge bryopsis outbreak that came out of left field. With a water change and fluconazole dose it cleared everything right up. I had some mini colonies that were not getting enough flow on the insides of the rock, so I trimmed everything back a bit, and everything has never looked better. The polyp extension got better, and visible on some sticks that otherwise have never had any since they've been in my tank. 

I of course got excited with the concept of having more space, and I've found a 5'x3'x18" monster. The move is tomorrow - the end of November, so this tank will continue to grow well into the summer, just in a new location! 

Because I firmly believe no good things happen fast, I'm going to use the next 6 months to slowly sell some frags to help sponsor the build, and go the European version of cycling for 3 months before any additions. I currently have reached out to the same person who has built my stand for the 22, and they are going to work with me on my visions for the "170." 

And because what's the point if there's not a photo, here's stick island:

48909895641_c4b73ea016_b.jpg

• Like 4
  • Wow 1