Cultivated Reef

Living Room Nano Peninsula

YHSublime

On 9/14/2022 at 4:15 PM, schg said:

I was just re-reading through this to see what you were doing for bulbs, and its kind of the opposite of what I've seen most people do (more white bulbs with the LEDs more blue).

What bulbs are/were you running?

i don’t know what most people do, but I’ve been using 4 ATI Blue + and then adjusting my LEDs to a more pleasing spectrum of daylight to my eyes.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
7 minutes ago, YHSublime said:

i don’t know what most people do, but I’ve been using 4 ATI Blue + and then adjusting my LEDs to a more pleasing spectrum of daylight to my eyes.

Interesting, felt like most ppl use led for the “pop” and run more balanced light with t5, like maybe mix of B+, and C+ or aqua blue special.
But hey, it works for you, keep it up!!!

• Like 1
7 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

Interesting, felt like most ppl use led for the “pop” and run more balanced light with t5, like maybe mix of B+, and C+ or aqua blue special.
But hey, it works for you, keep it up!!!

Guess I’m a bit backwards then, lol. Initially, my lights come on at 10am, they ramp up, T5 will kick in with the LEDs noon-5pm, LEDs very slow ramp down until 10:00pm. 

I might swap on the next round of bulbs to see what it looks like, but like you said…. If it ain’t broke! 

• Like 1
11 hours ago, YHSublime said:

Guess I’m a bit backwards then, lol. Initially, my lights come on at 10am, they ramp up, T5 will kick in with the LEDs noon-5pm, LEDs very slow ramp down until 10:00pm. 

I might swap on the next round of bulbs to see what it looks like, but like you said…. If it ain’t broke! 

I mean, it definitely isn’t broke for you, your tank looks amazing in photos and in person, and the colors and growth seem great! Might have to copy you. 

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, schg said:

Since I needed to order new bulbs anyway, I decided to try your method, except I did 2x Blue+ and 2x True Actinic. I'll let you know what I think once they arrive!

I hope it works for you! I think anything will work, it's all about consistency. I think the reason I made the decision to go that route was because I only run my T5's for about 5 hours a day because of the heat. Outside of that, I want the LED's to keep that more white/natural spectrum, that's how I enjoy the viewing the tank. 

Anyways, here's some pictures of my upgraded space, which is already filled in:

DSC_0964.thumb.jpg.25e6da582e063ef4499779f0a0a50b3b.jpg

DSC_0925.thumb.jpg.bd81772892906e85706e40876c6974b1.jpg

DSC_0910-2.thumb.jpg.52d1d015587c85fcbe4f271520a08de3.jpg

• Like 4
  • Wow 2

Those 4 bulb really emit a spectrum. Combined with the leds,I think it will be great. 

Almost exactly what I am running,1 Giesemann Actinic Blue and 1 Giesemann Super Actinic,then my DIY array of 2 Lux M royals and 5 violets from 385-430nm. 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Wow, so I guess we're 3+ months now on the transfer into the 80. I had a couple of big things happen. First was I temporarily held onto a Blueface Angel:

DSC_0916.thumb.jpg.c110fd6bf4be1ec764c67691119c986c.jpg

One of the best looking fish I've ever seen in my life, and also WAY to big for my 80 (in a big tank now). During it's time with me, it decimated most of my zoa population, and nibbled on all my acros. I'm not really worried about it, everything will grow back, and it was a fun little visitor.

What did happen though, is in between my bioload going up, and my filtration not being able to handle so much food and waste, I did start to get a pretty serious algae bloom all over the floor. Might have happened either way, but I took a couple of steps. 

Ordered a giant CUC

Evicted the giant Blueface

Large regular water changes, while scraping the floor bottom with a razor blade

DSC_1036.thumb.jpg.23e9ecf5bae67487cff6a82c7b4e1c1d.jpg

My CSB also decided to trek into the back of the tank. It has been back there for about a month now, and has emerged from the rocks like a phoenix. I liked it up front, but I guess you can't control anemones.

DSC_1081.thumb.jpg.19bdbd9b3f360b23877ccd7891c90c3f.jpg

Otherwise, things are growing nicely. My consumption is up, the water changes are helping, and we're on the right track to clearing up the water and getting the algae taken care of. 

DSC_1055.thumb.jpg.e871acecb04391ace37cfc814ceee496.jpg

I've also upped the flow tremendously, and had to shift some softies/lps around because well.... flow. It's all a balancing act, and I'm just always walking the line. I also have a series of torches that I'm growing out all over the floor to create some more movement. 

I have an Apex ready to install and setup, I just need to find the time to commit to it, then I might try my hand at Trident. 

• Like 5
  • Wow 2

Hell yeah man,looks incredible. This is gonna be good when its all filled in. 

Is there a lot of coding with the Apex ? I never really understood or looked into it. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Reefkid88 said:

Hell yeah man,looks incredible. This is gonna be good when its all filled in. 

Is there a lot of coding with the Apex ? I never really understood or looked into it. 

Thanks, and yeah, it's already starting to sprout out pretty aggressively. Soon it will be time for a 250, lol. 

Last time I had an apex they were still black and orange and you needed a wifi dongle or a direct ethernet connection. I think it's a lot more user friendly now, but have zero clue yet! 

• Like 2

Hahaha oh god lol should have just gone that big to begin with then !!! 

Ahh okay,I mean I see problems all the time with the Hydros and well I am not into writing code so I never thought about an Apex like that or any controller really. 

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/15/2023 at 12:55 PM, BadCrab said:

I enjoyed your TOTM write-up and I'm slowly working my way through your build thread now.
Did you get your Apex setup the way you wanted?  Any updated FTS or posts?  

Hey there! Thanks for dropping in. This year (2023) just hit me like a ton of bricks with work. I've been on the road more often then I've been home. While I've been moving around, I'll pull a makeshift ATO top off container that's about 30 gallons. About 3 months ago (I think, it's hard to say when it started) my SPS started reverting, instead of growing, they were all STN'ing. It took me a few months to find out that my salinity was rising up to 1.030 no matter what I did. I cleaned all my RO buckets, containers, top off pumps replaced, etc. and still, salinity kept creeping up. 

Finally I found my top off return tube had fallen into my sump, so every time it pumped, it would back siphon. It's the stupidest thing, but I'm just glad I figured it out. My SPS is now all rebounding, most of the LPS didn't even notice, and the fish are all still good. The tank still looks great, and full, but in a different way.

I did get the Apex installed about a month and a half ago. It's not all linked up yet, but the basics are running, I still have not swapped over to the DOS and am running a bubble magus doser. It's still very messy, and part of me wants to consider jumping back to an against the wall tank to open up a bit more floor space in the office. Also, under the tank is open right now, and it really feels jumbled and messy to me.

In writing this, I just looked over and saw a Chromis caraccas on my floor, so I guess I'm down a fish now as well. 

DSC_1127.jpg

• Like 4
  • Wow 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 7 months later...

That is crazy about the ato tube,thank god it was sumpthing (like what I did there ?!?!) simple but sucks you replaced all that crap. 

Tank is looking amazing as usual,kudos my fran !!! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
12 minutes ago, Reefkid88 said:

That is crazy about the ato tube,thank god it was sumpthing (like what I did there ?!?!) simple but sucks you replaced all that crap. 

Tank is looking amazing as usual,kudos my fran !!! 

Thanks amigo. It's always something. It's been a hell of a year, and I'm hopefully coming out the other side stronger, but haven't had a lot of time to spend on the tank. The fact it looks the way it does is nothing short of a miracle! 

The simple fact that you haven't been hands on much at all,had the salinity mishap and overall the tank didn't skip a beat,really is the testament of good husbandry. 

What did you do with that old led fixture ? 

• Like 1
On 12/28/2023 at 7:16 PM, Reefkid88 said:

The simple fact that you haven't been hands on much at all,had the salinity mishap and overall the tank didn't skip a beat,really is the testament of good husbandry. 

What did you do with that old led fixture ? 

Went back in a package deal to the same guy who built it!

• Wow 1