Top Shelf Aquatics

Astinus' Build *A work in Progress*

Astinus

StinkyBunny

I've heard that pompom xenia does not do what the regular stuff does.

Pom Pom Xenia is a scourge, best left to a sluice run for nutrient export. The longer stalk stuff is what you want. It's still grows like a weed, but it's not assholish like the Pom Pom stuff is.

• Like 1

al

Pom Pom Xenia is a scourge, best left to a sluice run for nutrient export. The longer stalk stuff is what you want. It's still grows like a weed, but it's not assholish like the Pom Pom stuff is.

alrighty then! :blush:

Gawd, how I love reefing newbs... everything is a new adventure for you guys :lol:

Do yourself a favor and move that GSB rock into the sand... It'll take over the rocks faster than you would think. You can move the cloves up there in it's place as they grow a bit slower.

signed

-old reef keeper

lmao! I actually enjoyed ur previous comment and took no offense :D

I actually know and understand the comment as I have experienced those feelings from other experiences and knowledge I have and to watch a "Newb" "Grow".

Signed

-Newbie Reefer- :PB)

:lol: Thank goodness because I read Pinner's post and thought "holy condescending, Batman" then realized he was kidding omgomgomg

Does anyone know where I Might be able to find this?

https://reefbuilders.com/2014/01/07/weeping-willow-leather-coral-glory/

Astinus, those are damn hard to come by. There is a long polyp green one as well which we have in the wife's tank. Both command crazy prices. I see the weeping willow ones on Indo lists all the time. I order them, but have only gotten 2.

^^ this. I was on the hunt for one for over a year. Diver's Den listed one up but it's not a true weeping willow, just a long polyp toad. I did end up finding one finally from a LFS in the chicago area but like I said, took me over a year. Got it a couple weeks ago and it has been shedding and only opening a bit since I got it.

Stinky, didn't realize they would list things like that on your wholesale lists. That is cool.

• Like 2

You know, if looks like that Play-Doh haircut. Ha haaha. :lol:

lmao! True.

I Googled the Long Polyp Toadstool. Haven't looked at them yet.

I was just at my lfs t'day, showed them that link, they were like oh, that is just the lighting and it is a Leather.

They showed me some examples.

I trust this place, they have been in business for 17+ years and know our Tank. But after reading ur comments above and hearing how "Rare" or Hard to come by, I will have to find something else that I like. I want something with color and height. B)

StinkyBunny

lmao! True.

I Googled the Long Polyp Toadstool. Haven't looked at them yet.

I was just at my lfs t'day, showed them that link, they were like oh, that is just the lighting and it is a Leather.

They showed me some examples.

I trust this place, they have been in business for 17+ years and know our Tank. But after reading ur comments above and hearing how "Rare" or Hard to come by, I will have to find something else that I like. I want something with color and height. B)

The only things with colour and height are the Sinularia, even then it's only green. I might have some more Fiji yellows come Friday. those are short and yellow.

• Like 1

It's just a number.

Ha ha, you are absolutely right. And I am only as old as I feel...and after landscaping all day we wont even disclose what number that is, but I am feelin' pretty old! LOL
  • Like 3

I Might go with, if I can find, either Neon Green, Blue or Pink Sinularia. Not sure yet.

I also need to show some pics to Shar.

As I still pursue a candidate, I am also looking at Colt Coral for that area. And as I was "looking" at other stuff, I think I see a Trumpet Coral in the future.

• Like 2

Following... Tank looks good!

TY Renstar. I am seeing some Corals I like, but, I can't seem to find the coloration. I Did see a "Yellow Polyp"

http://www.tidalgardens.com/yellow-polyps.html

But! according to that site, it is aggressive and care should be taken in placement.

This looks nice, but it wouldn't get the flow...

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3352+3354+2056&pcatid=2056

And the search continues.

• Like 1

Regarding the "Hole" or that Gap I would like to place something in. Shar is expressing some concern about placing something in there and then getting "Cramped". Can U folks help us with (Shar) with ideas. I Know u all have made some nice suggestions.

For me and I think Shar, we want something with color and not brown or drab....know what I mean? TBH, I don't think I'd like a Yellow Fiji Leather.

So damn confused. Damn Corals! :rant::rant: Giving me fits! :P:rolleyes::rant: I feel like I have been :owned: "Owned".

• Like 1

As I still pursue a candidate, I am also looking at Colt Coral for that area. And as I was "looking" at other stuff, I think I see a Trumpet Coral in the future.

Trumpet coral is a must :).

• Like 2
StinkyBunny

Colts are damn nice if you can get one in that's in good shape. Of all the dumb corals that don't ship well, small Colt corals ship like shit, large ones do much better. Try and figure that one out. You can do small wall hammers when it's cool, but a large one WILL arrive as a milkshake in a bag, there's a 90% certainty of that.

• Like 1

So, as some of u folks know and some of u folks have battled Cyano as I am trying my best to stay on top of it. I saw in FlowerMama's Tank of Generosity someone mentioned Electric Blue Legged Hermits for Algae.

I Googled them, I Like Hermits. Anyways, According to BlueZoo Aquatics here is a Copy/paste from their page.

"

Diet Will eat filamentous algae and cyanobacteria. Feed meaty bits such as raw table shrimp, frozen mysis shrimp, silver sides, scallop, clam and mussel. They will appreciate offerings of Nori or other vegetation as well. Feed once or twice a week depending on amount of Hermit Crabs vs. amount of available food for them to forage on their own.

"

TBH, I am thinking of ordering 2 (And I Know I can get Shells for them)

Just posting my thoughts.

Comments are always welcomed :)

• Like 2

So, as some of u folks know and some of u folks have battled Cyano as I am trying my best to stay on top of it. I saw in FlowerMama's Tank of Generosity someone mentioned Electric Blue Legged Hermits for Algae.

I Googled them, I Like Hermits. Anyways, According to BlueZoo Aquatics here is a Copy/paste from their page.

"

Diet

Will eat filamentous algae and cyanobacteria. Feed meaty bits such as raw table shrimp, frozen mysis shrimp, silver sides, scallop, clam and mussel. They will appreciate offerings of Nori or other vegetation as well. Feed once or twice a week depending on amount of Hermit Crabs vs. amount of available food for them to forage on their own.

"

TBH, I am thinking of ordering 2 (And I Know I can get Shells for them)

Just posting my thoughts.

Comments are always welcomed :)

Crabs (blue and red legged) always did a really good job with algae on my rockwork. In fact I wasn't realizing how good a job until I re-homed all but 1 small hermit when I switched from a reef to specie specific seahorse tank. The algae on my rock work is much more prominent now.

Crabs (blue and red legged) always did a really good job with algae on my rockwork. In fact I wasn't realizing how good a job until I re-homed all but 1 small hermit when I switched from a reef to specie specific seahorse tank. The algae on my rock work is much more prominent now.

TY VLangel. I'll see what I can do. T'day's challenge is to siphon off the Sand Bed again. (Small water change)

I have to admit, the Electric Blue Legs look pretty. And they seem sizable too...Up to 2 inches.

• Like 1

TY Renstar. I am seeing some Corals I like, but, I can't seem to find the coloration. I Did see a "Yellow Polyp"

http://www.tidalgardens.com/yellow-polyps.html

But! according to that site, it is aggressive and care should be taken in placement.

This looks nice, but it wouldn't get the flow...

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3352+3354+2056&pcatid=2056

And the search continues.

Yellow polyps only show that yellow when they are stressed. AS they relax in the tank they're a more beige. And yes they are invasive.

• Like 1