Coral Vue Hydros

Astinus' Build *A work in Progress*

Astinus

Looking good! And for the thermometer I just use one of those 3 dollar floating ones from Petco in the back chamber of my AIO Now onto the lights......if you are looking for simple I think this one works http://www.rapidled.com/solderless-jbj-nanocube-28-cf-quad-retrofit-kit-non-dimmable/ buy it and just install. I like the dimmable option but that one needs a controller from what I read. the one linked looks like a plug and play system ready to go. Good luck on the decision.

TY Spectra.

Would I be good with "Standard Mix" or the "Full Spectrum" LED Color Ratio?

I think it all depends on what you like. I know nothing about those lights but do know one LED compared to another can give off a way different look. I am one who wants to see it before I buy so it is hard to say.

Sorry I thought your had the Biocube.

You definitely want dimable LEDs. If you don't get the dimable, you will probably fry your corals. LEDs on full blast are super bright. I run mine on about 35%-45% and that's sufficient for SPS in my tank.

Plus with the controller you can program in sunrise/sunset, clouds, moonphase, and more.

The storm controller is only like $65. Well worth it in my opinion. If you want to save $50 or so, they do have manual dimmer dials you can add in instead of electronic controller. This way you can set the brightness to your corals preferences. Plus, you can turn them down if your acclimating a new coral that's not use to bright lights.

Ideally with the setup, you will run your whites on one channel and the blues/colors on another channel. By doing this, you can control each channel independently and you can get the right color effect and pop out of your corals.

I highly HIGHLY RECOMMEND the dimmable LED setup.

For your color arrangement, do mostly royal blue, you can mix in 1-2 lime green for effect and 1-2 UV for growth, the other 5-10 do cool white.

Off topic regarding Lights.

Well, I had done an 8 gallon wc the other day. Vacuumed off as much Diatoms and also had some Cyano growing on/in sand bed.

Got 99% of it. However, due to a rock to close to the glass, couldn't get it. So, last night, moved the offending rock, but, had to move others, Basically, partially rescaped. I was not happy about how the new scape came out. So, this morn, I tried my best to get it back to what it had looked like. I Just should have left well enough alone to begin with. It looks better, but not like it had been. :(

Still not happy, but better than it was last night. *sigh*

Pics later.

4/15/2016 UPDATE :happydance:omgomgomg:rant:

New Corals. Shar Picked out a Nice Brain Coral and I got a "Favite". Oh! and a Serpent Starfish.

Shar's Brain Coral

ThNQuU.jpg

My Favite

4ghvVT.jpg

The rest of the Pics are just overall pics.. :)B)

YkeMfQ.jpg

Ew0pN0.jpg

GoimW1.jpg

m8zpb3.jpg

ZDy2Lk.jpg

TmsMxI.jpg

Peek-A-BOO!!

5qAxTU.jpg

z3ZNYS.jpg

Tj1WJd.jpg

iXGnVi.jpg

That's all for now :)

Got a New AI Prime LED Light...and Working! I want to thank those who recommended I get an LED, So Happy with it! Colors are Awesome on the Corals and the overall view of the Tank :) Also Picked up a JBJ Nano Protein Skimmer.

I hope u folks are enjoying my Build Thread as I enjoy Sharing and enjoying the Tank as well :):wub:

• Like 11

Awesome! Glad you like the AI prime. I love messing around with the color. I find using the manual setting at around 10-12k gets the best photos.

• Like 1

Nice! Glad you added the LED and skimmer.

Get anATO if you don't have one already.

In due time, Young Padawan, B):P:D I have been doing my daily checks to monitor evaporation and top off with RO/DI as needed.

I Keep a 5 gal Pail of RO/DI that I get from our lfs. I trust them pretty well. They know us and our tank quite well and are great with advice. I am even more impressed by them, in that, they would advise against buying certain livestock because of the age of the Tank. They also know what we have for fish and advised us to only add 1 fish vs. 2, due to Bio-load.

So, yeah, at some point, an ATO can be in the future.

• Like 1

In due time, Young Padawan, B):P:D I have been doing my daily checks to monitor evaporation and top off with RO/DI as needed.

I Keep a 5 gal Pail of RO/DI that I get from our lfs. I trust them pretty well. They know us and our tank quite well and are great with advice. I am even more impressed by them, in that, they would advise against buying certain livestock because of the age of the Tank. They also know what we have for fish and advised us to only add 1 fish vs. 2, due to Bio-load.

So, yeah, at some point, an ATO can be in the future.

Good stuff. You've got a plan so you'll be all good. Manual ATO was not my thing. ;)

Sounds like you've got a solid LFS which is always a nice thing. Not all are so fortunate.

• Like 1

So sadly, Very true. According to the Website, http://www.areefcenter.com/ which doesn't have anything clickable links, they have been serving Lee County (FloriDUH) for 17 years. So, I do feel lucky n that respect.

You don't stay in business that long if ur business practices suck! Very Happy with them.

Yeah, The Royal is out and about and swims quite a bit :) He/it kinda swims with the Perc Clown! :o That's pretty cool to watch. No Aggression :happy: The Pearly Jaw fish loves his current Digs. He/it is a character too! Switches it's hidey caves from side to side of the tank and will sometimes hang out behind the Rock work (Wall) in Back. The Bi-color Blenny, well, he has claim to 1 chunk of LR that has quite a few craters for it to hide in. So, all in all, things appear happy. B)

• Like 1

I too have a beastie serpent star,it's so big it doesn't come out for food just sends the tentacles out from under its cave I had to make for it.

Do you have any alien looking circles in your tank........

Looks good! I have a prime also but miss my Kessil :angry:

Nice looking stuff but where is the serpent star?

It is currently Hiding under the rock that the Feather Dusters and the BTA are attached to. The lfs told us yesterday that they are nocturnal creatures and they may come out when they smell food. I Might be able to get a Pic some time. Will post when I can.

This Star is about 3-4" across. I Like the Banded coloration it has. Black, Tan and brown.

• Like 1