Cultivated Reef

Astinus' Build *A work in Progress*

Astinus

Live-plants.com is good, I'm getting some stuff in from them tomorrow. 

The Red Graciliara is easy to keep, I don't remember on the Shaving Brush tho I don't think it's bad. I read somewhere recently that Maiden's Hair can lower either phospate or nitrate quickly, don't remember which, but I think it was on this tank thread: https://www.nano-reef.com/forums/topic/279382-grs-12g-long-macro-reef/?page=2

I think I also remember hearing that Maiden's Hair is harder to keep long-term, never tried it myself. 

I don't know anything about the other vendor. 

• Like 1

The red should be very nice. They have some Red Botrycladia too, which is easy to keep and really pretty. It's an old favorite of mine. 

Just now, Weetabix7 said:

The red should be very nice. They have some Red Botrycladia too, which is easy to keep and really pretty. It's an old favorite of mine. 

WOW!  That is an eye catcher!  Will look into that as well :)

TY So much for the input :)

• Like 1
Just now, Astinus said:

WOW!  That is an eye catcher!  Will look into that as well :)

TY So much for the input :)

No problem!!

It's gonna be fun seeing Macro take over corners of N-R again. :happy:

• Like 1

Freaking Nitrates!

Did a 10g WC yesterday.  Just tested Nitrates and it is still high.  Not as high as it was.  According to my eyes,

the test is showing not quite 20, but more than 10. *Sigh* :blush::rant::huh:

I have a shopping cart with Reefcleaners.org I added some shaving Brush (4) and 2 "Christmas Trees"

https://www.reefcleaners.org/aquarium-store/christmas-tree 

Wish me luck *sigh*

• Like 1

Whenever you are ready for the Hammer, let me know. I don't think 10-20 is that bad for nitrates, I have a hard time getting mine down below 10. I agree with Dawn on switching to hardier/easier corals. Goniporas are one of the hardest.  I do often complain about the Xenia getting out of control, but I also think they are beautiful and fascinating. Now I just go in with little trim scissors and cut them back every now and then. They re-emerge elsewhere, but I've stopped hating them so much. I hear pom pom xenia are less evasive, but I've not tried them. I did not have have luck with clove polyps in the beginning, but others say they are good growers. I might try them again.

• Like 1

TY Penny.  For the moment, I need to try and concentrate on my CUC.  Since my Ammonia Spike a few months ago, I lost a huge portion of them.

John Replied to my "Custom Crew" request.  I sent a reply and am awaiting his reply.

That Pom Pom does look nice, but, will ask Shar her opinion.  She wants "Color" lol.

So do I, but, what I like and what she likes, well, I am in right field and she is in Left.

I point out Zoas and she's like, yeah but, u only get a "Small" item.  To which I do agree some.

BUT, I would like a nice Colony.  Eh, as always, down the road.  Our reef tank will come around again.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Astinus said:

TY Penny.  For the moment, I need to try and concentrate on my CUC.  Since my Ammonia Spike a few months ago, I lost a huge portion of them.

John Replied to my "Custom Crew" request.  I sent a reply and am awaiting his reply.

That Pom Pom does look nice, but, will ask Shar her opinion.  She wants "Color" lol.

So do I, but, what I like and what she likes, well, I am in right field and she is in Left.

I point out Zoas and she's like, yeah but, u only get a "Small" item.  To which I do agree some.

BUT, I would like a nice Colony.  Eh, as always, down the road.  Our reef tank will come around again.

I have some really pretty, hardy Palys that I'm working on growing out, that might work for you. Pics on my thread. 

• Like 1

TY Weety :)

I do Like Palys too.  lol, ENABLERS! TY so much :)

My mind's eye, well...reality and want are far apart at the moment. :P:rant::huh::lol:

1 minute ago, Astinus said:

My mind's eye, well...reality and want are far apart at the moment. :P:rant::huh::lol:

Ha, this is where I live!!! :lol:

I work on thinking creatively to eliminate the gap between minds eye and reality, it's a constant work in progress. :happy:

• Like 2

Sorry to read about your losses, Astinus!  I like your plan for macros with the reboot.  Macros and softies make a beautiful tank.  You can't go wrong with them :).

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Astinus said:

If you want some nice color and a nice size colony find some zoos from fiji. Usually incredible bright colors and a lot less expensive than some of the fancy named ones. 

• Like 1

TY Gena.  That is kind of the direction I am thinking.

TY Sharbuckle.  Yeah, I am not into the overpriced and overrated "Named" Zoas.

So, just got back from LFS....and have New pics.

Nitrates were 10, Phosphates .25 Cal and KH checked out good as well.

So, here are 2 new Additions :blush::rolleyes: 

Bubble Coral...Yes, we are trying again.

oIUhZi.jpg

And a Hammer ;)

QzSv42.jpg

And now some Tank Shots.

md7NDm.jpg

sGLtyr.jpg

AjWbNf.jpg

And some Zoas.

VmrmM7.jpg

That's all for now.

• Like 3

Just pulled the trigger on Botryocladia (Red Grape) and Gracilaria hayi (Red Bush?) MacroAlgae.

I am going to finish my order next week with Reefcleaners...4 Shaving Brush and 2 Christmas Tree (Pine cone) Macros,

along with a custom CUC.

Of course pics will be posted when all are in the tank :)

So, We got our Macro-algae in the other day.

@Weetabix7, WOW!  Bought 2 Red Macros from Live-plants.com

I was really surprised at the Amount and very happy with the quality.  Even got a Free Hitchhiker, a Hermit-crab :D

I ordered a custom CUC from John and added some Shaving Brushes and some "Christmas Tree"s.

What a Huge difference those Plants have made with eye appeal in the Aquarium :)

Here are some Pics :)

Sorry that these are a tad out of focus :(

ducN3U.jpg

ZI9ozf.jpg

1OUh85.jpg

Left Side

Ik7kl3.jpg

jMpi3K.jpg

JK5mii.jpg

Let me know what U all think :)

For me, what a nice change in the tank :)

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Weetabix7 said:

I think it looks great, but I'm even more happy that YOU'RE happy!!! :happydance:

Awww..TY Weetie ;)

I am so glad u pointed me to Live plants :)

• Like 1

Yes indeed :)  TY Penny.  Both Shar and I were totally bummed when it went cow-plop.

The last 1 was in the Front left Corner, this 1 is in the Front right.  I think it is getting a little less

flow here.  The other Bubble had some flow, but not a lot...  I honestly don't think flow was the issue with the last 1.

I have a small "Branching" Hammer? in the Left front corner...A Euphylia of some sort anyways... ;)

• 8 months later...