ReefCleaners.org

Astinus' Build *A work in Progress*

Astinus

TY Gena :) And TY Ecam :) He had fragged it and offered it to me :)

I am not 100% sure I will keep it there. I haven't glued it down yet.

When it starts getting taller, I will see where it would fit better in the reef.

• Like 1

TY...Can't wait to see them fill out.

As the title of my thread says..."A work in progress". It will be for quite some time yet.

Not that long :). You'd be surprised what a year will bring you! Once you pass the 6 month mark things seem to really take off!
  • Like 1

TY Gena. I am finally starting to see some growth on my Duncans and noticed a new head on the Blasto today.

Haven't seen much growth with the GSP though.

I am looking at a Nice Clump? (Frag, Large) of Galaxea. I like how it flows.

Reminds me of meadow grass.

• Like 1

Are you looking at the 70 as an upgrade to your 28, or in addition to?

Nice new torch and toadstool.

Sorry about your fox face. If it was really skinny, maybe it wasn't healthy to begin with. I doubt that you starved it after only 2 days. I'd ask the fish store about it. Maybe she will give you credit for it

Nope, no upgrade...I just seen it on my local Craigslist.

The Fish was eating at store. I saw it eat flake. I believe the Clown

was the culprit in being territorial. Foxface wouldn't come out from behind the rocks.

I've bought all kinds of tanks off CL, you have to keep an eye out, but there are deals there. Then there's the idiots that think they can make money on a used aquarium. :blink: We bought M's cube off some crackheads over in Delaware for $20 with the bottom blown out of it. Got my 93 for $300, the 50 for $200 and the 57 for $200. There are deals to be had, you have to keep an eye out for them.

• Like 1

Indeed! Right now it's not so much about Cost perse.

More about Space and Shar. I have a 75 FW that I'd like to convert someday.

I will keep it simple. An AC 110 and a Nice Protein skimmer.

My LFS has that setup on what looks like a 40 G Tall Cube.

I asked John there if I could do the same for my 75. He said that it would be good to go

with that type of setup. I think total investment for equipment would be around 250-275.

I do have an AC 110 running our FW right now. But his 110 looks bigger in some way.

DUH! I forgot about the Lighting for the Tank. So, add, God who knows how much! :o:eek::bling:

I know it depends on a lot of variables.

*Sigh* Just dreaming for now ;)

Back to Craigslist, Yeah! Some Deals to be had. But as they say, Caveat emptor. Buyer Beware.

I would definitely want to see the "Tank" filled 1st to be sure of no leaks.

I'll do a write up on the CoralBox moon lights after I've had them for a few months. No matter how you slice it, lighting and skimmers are a lot more than the cost of the tank.

• Like 1

I'll do a write up on the CoralBox moon lights after I've had them for a few months. No matter how you slice it, lighting and skimmers are a lot more than the cost of the tank.

Yes indeed!

Just a "Pipe Dream" at the moment.

If/ When I do convert the 75. I may go BB VS LS.

I have seen other Tanks with BB and read about the ease of cleaning. So, I know I am going to use LR!

I think I will try and get it from Gulf Reef Rock, Hmm. I think it was FlowerMama's Thread, she got an order of LR

and was amazed at all the "Hitchhikers". I think this is what she went with.

http://www.gulfliverock.com/premium-decorative-rock.html

NO WAY am I going to do 70 LBS of this, but at least 10 or 20.

I'll make you cry. When we were bringing up live rock in the 90s it was $75/box shipped for 50-60lbs. This was hauled in the day before, packed and shipped. We were bringing up 10 boxes a week on Friday and by Monday afternoon we were sold out. Fiji air freighted rock was $1.50/lb, now you can't touch Fiji boat rock for less than $3/lb.

WOW!

Just curious. What is the Difference with Fiji, Pukani (spelling) and others?

I am asking about LR. If Pukani is just dry, well then, Bob's ur uncle...Question answered.

Pukani is the general location it's collected.

Different reefs have different rock. No one reef is created the same. Some are/were primarily sps dominant, some LPS. Those corals made the structure the current reef grows on.

Fwiw, pukani is very nice looking rock. At least the stuff I used to have....

• Like 1

Nice! Somehow, I forgot that the LR was at 1 point part of a Living Reef.

I do hope that the collecting of LR isn't harming actual Living Coral from the Reefs themselves.

Yeah, It Sucks. Only had the guy 3 days :( Thanks V.

TBH, I am starting to get discouraged with Fish and The Goni Issue. At least the Tank hasn't totally crashed.

Every time I bring a water sample in to be tested (Weekly) My Params are pretty good, with exception to the Nitrates.

At 1 point the Nitrates were off the chart. Was recommended the Nopox, now the Nitrates are a lot better.

*Sigh* Just gotta remind myself that the Clown and the Corals all look Healthy. (Goni Excepted)

On a Side note. I am perusing Criagslist and found this. Seems Good. IF only we had the Space and the Cash.

https://fortmyers.craigslist.org/chl/for/5753818845.html

Be careful with nopox. You need a good skimmer in place if using that and/or any type of carbon dosing.

• Like 1

Be careful with nopox. You need a good skimmer in place if using that and/or any type of carbon dosing.

Yes, Simple skimmer and carbon.

I empty the cup daily and change Carbon every 2 weeks. The Carbon is in a Media bag in my Basket.

I also run Phosguard (In a Bag). I change that out once a month.

While on the topic of Media, In my Media Basket I have a Mechanical Filter (Looks Like Black Man made Sponge) Rather porous.

Below that is the Ceramic Rings and Bottom is the Carbon. I clean this out weekly. *The Media Basket and all media*

Question is, Since the tank has been running now since Valentine's day with LR and Ceramic Rings, Can I safely remove the rings now that our tank has become a bit more mature? Would this possibly cause an issue?

I know that these rings themselves can be an issue with detritus.

BTW...I am going to be updating this thread with Current Tank Shots and Some pics of our Corals.

• Like 1

Some leathers grow like a house on fire, others slow as molasses going uphill in February.

That was a 1/4" chunk back in January when I fragged it, so not sure if that makes it a fast or slow grower.

• Like 2