Pod Your Reef

Astinus' Build *A work in Progress*

Astinus

Quick update of the goings on in my little reef, a work in progress.

1st, I noticed 2 of these guys. They must have come in on the LR or 1 of the Corals as an Egg. I honestly think that this is the case.

CXn9Pi.jpg

My Duncans, I am doing something right!! They are both showing New Growth! Like 3 new heads on 1 and 2 on the other.

u8ElAv.jpg

cIzct7.jpg

Now the UGLIES! :( Aiptasia(s)

FfcQ4K.jpg

aXKnDp.jpg

OWZ4DL.jpg

Bubble Coral looking good :)

jddAn3.jpg

Regarding the Aiptasia...We have gotten 2 Peppermint Shrimps 3 weeks ago. They're hiding in the Rocks... The Bastards! Not doing the job they were hired to do. Going to have to buy some Aiptasia-X. I hope I will be successful in their demise.

On a side note, Have some sponges growing and Tube Worms. Good stuff!

• Like 3

Yeah....I thought so. Good stuff? From what I've read they are good for cleaning detritus.

Yeah good cleaning crew member! I'm pretty sure I've got hundreds in my 66 - although the wrasses are feasting on them!

• Like 1

Yeah good cleaning crew member! I'm pretty sure I've got hundreds in my 66 - although the wrasses are feasting on them!

What wrasses are eating your bristleworms?

As usual I love that bubble. I have one aiptasia in my tank. Peppermint not doing its job, let me know how X works.

TY Sharbuckle! Yeah, Shar and I love it too. Might have to move the Goni away from it and move the bubble a little away from the glass.

Duncans looking amazing!

Thanks Becen...I noticed the New growth yesterday....It's good to know that I am doing things right...although, I do feed pretty heavy :(

Everyday.

TY Stellar. I do not have a problem with them yet. Shar is like eww, eww, Ick! They're ugly! I'm like cool! Thanks to the Forums, I have learned they are a good member to have.

Don't have any Wrasses, Probably won't either. The Cinnamon Clown is fairly large and I am a tad leery of adding to much Bio-load

I'd like to add something for the Algae we have. We have 3 Emerald Crabs, but I haven't noticed them out in the open or I should say

where the algae is growing.

I would really like to add a Purple headed Firefish (Elegant or Exquisite)

Exquisite Link (LA) http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+1926+3483&pcatid=3483

Elegant Link (LA) http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+1636+173&pcatid=173

Would also Like a Goby/Pistol shrimp Pair.

Maybe another Bi-color Blenny....But, 1 thing at a time, of course.

• Like 2

My peppermint shrimp take care of teeny aiptasia babies, and leave the big ones alone. Those, I smother with super glue and epoxy 8D

I'm so jealous of that bubble coral. Wow.

• Like 1

Yes indeed...TY Maria. Go back to page 1 I think, u will see when we 1st got it. Has grown a bit, just a bit mind you ;)

Not only has it grown, but it colored up nicely as well :wub:

Sorry folks...I am in a Picture happy Mode. Turned Pumps off and took more Pics. Top Down mostly. What got me to post a few more, the Elegance Coral is Looking really Good! :wub:

Nna2Rc.jpg

fmZsFx.jpg

zzfVeu.jpg

cTIKdw.jpg

Zoas

DL9p9d.jpg

Bubble. Top Down

g21pj3.jpg

In 1 of the top down shots of the Elegance, u can see the Blasto...It is doing much better :):wub:

• Like 6

Sorry folks...I am in a Picture happy Mode. Turned Pumps off and took more Pics. Top Down mostly. What got me to post a few more, the Elegance Coral is Looking really Good! :wub:

Nna2Rc.jpg

fmZsFx.jpg

zzfVeu.jpg

cTIKdw.jpg

Zoas

DL9p9d.jpg

Bubble. Top Down

g21pj3.jpg

In 1 of the top down shots of the Elegance, u can see the Blasto...It is doing much better :):wub:

Wow, just catching up with your thread and things are looking great in your tank. I love the elegance, they are one of my favorite coral although i have never tried one. I agree with Pj, we need a FTS.

BTW, I just use a thick slurry of superbuffer to kill aiptasia. I suck the slurry up in a syringe and squirt it down the mouth! Kind of violent I know but its cheap and works pretty well on the the big ones. Just kind of burns them into a goo. Occasionally it takes a couple of treatments.

• Like 1

Looking good Mike. How about a FTS?

Ask and U shall receive ;)

Kind of ugly.

MEqODe.jpg

au8zVK.jpg

8Rzbj9.jpg

Took 7 Pics. These 3 seemfairly good for phone quality.

• Like 4

I like the scape- looks natural going up on the right! I've been thinking about peppermints - I have an Aiptasia problem and would like to get 4-5 and see what happens but if they don't eat em up it would piss me off ?

• Like 2

I like he scape- looks natural going up on the right! I've been thinking about peppermints - I have an Aiptasia problem and would like to get 4-5 and see what happens but if they don't eat em up it would piss me off

U could try Peppermints. Mine don't appear to be doing anything.

Not sure, but, could they be nocturnal and I am not seeing them?

I do know that I haven't seen any noticeable depletion of the few Aips that I do have.

• Like 1

U could try Peppermints. Mine don't appear to be doing anything.

Not sure, but, could they be nocturnal and I am not seeing them?

I do know that I haven't seen any noticeable depletion of the few Aips that I do have.

Hmmm. Ya it's seems to be either hit or miss with them. Maybe like Mariaface said - they are focusing on the smaller ones and keeping the spreading down?? Maybe wishful thinking

• Like 1

The ONLY thing that's 100% death for Aiptasia are Berghia nudibranchs. Every once in a while I get one in a shipment, but it's rare. Some Copperbands will eat them, but most people don't have a tank that would support them. Matted Filefish will eat them, but they may eat your corals as well. I'm hoping to get some Blueline angels in this fall to see if they'll eat them, the other large angels won't touch them.They say that Molly Miller blennies will eat them, I've yet to get some for observation.

• Like 2