Innovative Marine Aquariums

Astinus' Build *A work in Progress*

Astinus

New goodies look good!!! Tube anemones are not photosynthetic so you can put it wherever you want, doesn't need light. But you will need to make sure to feed it. Goniopora can also be difficult, so make sure those are getting fed as well - also heard they can be aggressive, so make sure to keep it out of the way of other corals.

Tanks looking great!

TY Stella :wub:

Now to show some ignance, lol, but which 1 is the Goniopora?

On a side note, the LFS suggested sand bed for the Peach Anem...I :wub: that thing!

As for feeding, I am nasty stupid, I guess. I know I tend to over feed, but damn, I will start curbing that. We lost The Royal Gramma, Sight unseen since last week. CUC prolly got it. And we haven't seen the Pearly Jaw Fish in 2 days. IT hink it too passed and a CUC got it. When I was moving the LR around to create a newish scape, I lifted a Rock from the very bottom, because that piece of LR U sent me, dropped and I Couldn't get it, anyways, while I had that bottom rock lifted, I saw a lot of like whitish slime...most likely the remains of the Jaw fish.

So, we are now back down to 2 Fish. The Perc Clown and the Bi-color blenny. The Blenny is acting weird now, this is what he has been doing for the past 2-3 days.

mcN6lk.jpg

JNo3Yv.jpg

A2gx4H.jpg

He usually, or used to hang out in the rocks...now that. He has been eating fine...just acting oddly.

The Goni was in the photo set before the most recent - on the sand bed - red colored :) it's a pretty one!

Just give your tube nem some meaty foods every so often - I have never had one and am not sure how much so you might want to do some research on that. As far as I know they don't move but they will sting corals and such.

What clean up crew do you have that would get your fish? Seems odd to have two deaths so close together. I know your royal was showing white spots at one point so not sure if they both were infected with some sort of parasite? Maybe others can chime in.

I'm sure I already know the answer to this question, but do you quarantine your fish? If the RG had ich, now all the fish are likely to get it. You might want to get some metronidazole to see if you can treat it enough to save the ones that are not looking good.

• Like 2

We have 5-10 hermits 10 Various snails. Added a Brittle Star (Medium Sized), maybe 2 weeks ago?

Spoke with LFS regarding the White Spots and how I could try and treat for ICH w/out having to QT the fish, She suggested (Highly)

that we get a Cleaner Shrimp.

Regarding the Diet Needs of the Peach Tube Anemone, this is pasted from LiveAquaria's Site.

"Because they are not photosynthetic, they need to be fed regularly when it is fully expanded. Feed small frozen foods such as brine or mysis shrimp, chopped pieces of fish and zooplankton."

I feed these items to the tank. So, should be good :)

• Like 1

I'm sure I already know the answer to this question, but do you quarantine your fish? If the RG had ich, now all the fish are likely to get it. You might want to get some metronidazole to see if you can treat it enough to save the ones that are not looking good.

When I 1st noticed this, I told Shar that we need a QT..she absolutely said "NO!, 2 tanks are enough!" :angry::tears:

So, I explained to her that even a 5 gal Tank with just a HOB filter would cost the same as replacing Lost Fish...she still said NO!

So, here we are.

It's not that I DON'T want to..I Can't :(

I'm sorry :(

• Like 1

You'll have to be careful about using medications that won't hurt your corals and such - I'm not sure of one that will treat ich and I know prazipro will kill feather dusters and worms.

• Like 1

What about just even setting up a temporary 5 gallon pail with some filtration a heater and such? It won't be around long term, just until you treat your fish. Problem with ich though is that the tank needs to sit fallow for I think 75 or 90 days to let the parasite die off. But even after you do this, you run the risk of reintroducing ich if you're not QTing fish. And not everyone qt's - but if you are going to, may as well go the right route.

• Like 1

You'll have to be careful about using medications that won't hurt your corals and such - I'm not sure of one that will treat ich and I know prazipro will kill feather dusters and worms.

Not an option. TY

What about just even setting up a temporary 5 gallon pail with some filtration a heater and such? It won't be around long term, just until you treat your fish. Problem with ich though is that the tank needs to sit fallow for I think 75 or 90 days to let the parasite die off. But even after you do this, you run the risk of reintroducing ich if you're not QTing fish. And not everyone qt's - but if you are going to, may as well go the right route.

What does or is Fallow? What ya mean?

• Like 1

Not an option. TY

What does or is Fallow? What ya mean?

Fallow means "fishless" - ich lives and reproduces on fish. Without fish, the parasite dies off with nothing to support its growth or reproduction

• Like 1

Fallow means "fishless" - ich lives and reproduces on fish. Without fish, the parasite dies off with nothing to support its growth or reproduction

TY Stella for that explanation..I was clueless! :huh::blink::huh:

• Like 1

10944d5110a7027e1.jpg

TY Pinner, although I do not understand the Scientific Name(s), I do understand the chart u posted for me.

Now I see and understand a "Life Cycle" of this "Pest".

• Like 2

When I 1st noticed this, I told Shar that we need a QT..she absolutely said "NO!, 2 tanks are enough!" :angry::tears:

So, I explained to her that even a 5 gal Tank with just a HOB filter would cost the same as replacing Lost Fish...she still said NO!

So, here we are.

Hey brother, I'm not judging. Just trying to give information and hopefully help you keep your critters alive.
  • Like 2

Tank's looking good!

So, here we are.

Just keep their stress to a minimum (good water quality/ no major changes) and feed them a good diet (a good frozen mix like LRS or similar with some added vitamins). A healthy immune system will go a long way if you can't treat it otherwise.

Maybe someone can chime in with correct info, but with no new additions (to include LR, CUC and frags) to carry it in, I've read before that ich will "breed itself out" in 9 months to a year.

These are the foods I am feeding.

QteWou.jpg

vWgUiH.jpg

YUyCzP.jpg

7cwss3.jpg

FhNa6g.jpg

On a side note. The LFS will take in our Percula Clown and we can trade it for a Clarkii. We will prolly get 2 Clarkiis in 3 months.

• Like 1

We have 5-10 hermits 10 Various snails. Added a Brittle Star (Medium Sized), maybe 2 weeks ago?

Spoke with LFS regarding the White Spots and how I could try and treat for ICH w/out having to QT the fish, She suggested (Highly)

that we get a Cleaner Shrimp.

Regarding the Diet Needs of the Peach Tube Anemone, this is pasted from LiveAquaria's Site.

"Because they are not photosynthetic, they need to be fed regularly when it is fully expanded. Feed small frozen foods such as brine or mysis shrimp, chopped pieces of fish and zooplankton."[/size]

I feed these items to the tank. So, should be good :)[/size]

Just a heads ip....the shrimp will do absolutely nothing for ich. They are fun little guys to have though......except when you try to spot feed LPS and they rip the food out of their mouths.....only reason why I don't add one.

• Like 2
ReefWeeds

Just a heads ip....the shrimp will do absolutely nothing for ich. They are fun little guys to have though......except when you try to spot feed LPS and they rip the food out of their mouths.....only reason why I don't add one.

^ This. I have two and they're fun. But yeah, they rip the food out of my LPS, rock nems, everything. And now that I think of it, maybe this is why I can't keep duncans alive :wacko:

And regards to the clarkii - They get large and they are one of the more aggressive types of clowns. why do you want to trade in your perc? If you want other smaller fish, I'd rethink the clarkii in a 29.

• Like 2

^ This. I have two and they're fun. But yeah, they rip the food out of my LPS, rock nems, everything. And now that I think of it, maybe this is why I can't keep duncans alive :wacko:

And regards to the clarkii - They get large and they are one of the more aggressive types of clowns. why do you want to trade in your perc? If you want other smaller fish, I'd rethink the clarkii in a 29.

Yep to what Salad Queen said.

• Like 2

*sigh* Because Shar wants a Clown that will host an anem. The Clarkiis would be small when added. Obviously we need to re-think this.

ReefWeeds

*sigh* Because Shar wants a Clown that will host an anem. The Clarkiis would be small when added. Obviously we need to re-think this.

Any type of clown has the potential to be hosted by a nem - it just takes time and patience. Some may never decide to be hosted by a nem and some will take to the nem immediately. Harry's two clowns went 6 months before they took to his nem so I wouldn't trade in a clown for another with just the hopes they'll like the nem.

I actually should say I don't know if EVERY type of clown will but percs have the potential for sure.

• Like 3

Any type of clown has the potential to be hosted by a nem - it just takes time and patience. Some may never decide to be hosted by a nem and some will take to the nem immediately. Harry's two clowns went 6 months before they took to his nem so I wouldn't trade in a clown for another with just the hopes they'll like the nem.

I actually should say I don't know if EVERY type of clown will but percs have the potential for sure.

Agreed. I know this. <_< I also agree that a Clarkii would eventually be too big.

I would like a Pistol Shrimp/Goby pair. That would be fun to watch.

But only after the tank has been Fallow for 3 months.

• Like 1
ReefWeeds

Agreed. I know this. <_< I also agree that a Clarkii would eventually be too big.

I would like a Pistol Shrimp/Goby pair. That would be fun to watch.

But only after the tank has been Fallow for 3 months.

If the whole clown/nem thing is super important, another thought would be to keep an eye out for an existing clown at your LFS that is already hosted by an anemone in their store. Trade in your clown and either buy the clown and the nem OR buy just the clown and hope it takes a liking to your BTA.

My percula just started hosting my toadstool. Hosted a brain coral to death before that. It was a long time in between before he started with the toadie.

My two love their toads, but it took 7 months before they found a home other than the seachem ammonia badge or the thermometer :lol:

• Like 4