SaltCritters.com

Astinus' Build *A work in Progress*

Astinus

Awesome. LA has it on sale.

I have heard that Xenia can become an issue....like weeds. Is this true? I Know I saw ur thread, Stella. Just somewhat concerned.

Following. I was concerned about Xenia too but I decided to buy a frag from Petco. It was opening/closing, now it's not. Guess I'm just going to watch mine. I figure if it gets on a wall then it's an easy scrape off with a razor. I'll watch it carefully, thinking of setting the shell it's on in the sand, maybe it'll thwart if from spreading past the shell some. But if it throws off babies like I heard, guess I just have to pay attention. Probably not much different than gsp. I wonder if it's like gsp on a rock, it won't go anywhere past the secluded rock?

• Like 2

Following. I was concerned about Xenia too but I decided to buy a frag from Petco. It was opening/closing, now it's not. Guess I'm just going to watch mine. I figure if it gets on a wall then it's an easy scrape off with a razor. I'll watch it carefully, thinking of setting the shell it's on in the sand, maybe it'll thwart if from spreading past the shell some. But if it throws off babies like I heard, guess I just have to pay attention. Probably not much different than gsp. I wonder if it's like gsp on a rock, it won't go anywhere past the secluded rock?

U can see my GSP in the pics, it is on a chunk of flat "Coral" rock.. I Am glad U mentioned the GSP, FM. I Just went and took a good look at it...I See new growth on the underside of the rock!! I am Happy, yet, now I need to seriously watch it. I am happy because it would appear that i am doing something right since it is growing. So, in a sense, it makes me feel good :D That something is actually growing or I can see "New Growth".

• Like 1

I have a gsp rock in Gertie's tank that will get moved to my 40. I love the flow. I'm taking it out because I don't want the back side of the rock starting to grow on the ones behind it. I had to put more rocks in her tank than I wanted when I moved tanks, it'll be great to free it up so I can see her and restructure her tank w/ her home burrow facing up front..

• Like 4

Here is my GSP with new Growth. I also took some "Top Down" Pics. And, because I think it is funny, a Snail with what looks like a sponge growing on it's shell.

1st is the GSP...

xjgiFI.jpg

vQxrDT.jpg

Snail.... "Sportin' " his Sponge. U kind of need to look hard...it is near the Frag on the right

wk0DU1.jpg

vpIc9A.jpg

Now some "Top Down" Shots B) Ignore the Cyano :furious: Getting water tomorrow and sucking that chit up!

SZ8MVQ.jpg

Tube Worm and BTA

jFJb1Y.jpg

QilUEH.jpg

2sgKTc.jpg

And now my Favorite...and I think the best for last....

YQYpHP.jpg

If u couldn't tell, I do like sharing pics. :wub:B):P

• Like 11

You could do a Sinularia in that area too. Cespitularia doesn't spread like wild fire like Xenia does.

TY for that :) Looking at Pics from Google is helping.

StinkyBunny

The Aussie ones are nice, but pricey. There are some from Fiji that are top notch as well.

Aussie:

jNaPS7O.jpg

Indo: Sorry for the quality. They grow VERY fast.

oClAnfR.jpg

Cespitularia:

5yLAXQA.jpg

Fiji:

Direct from Walt Smith's site. I have 2 coming Friday hopefully.

WSI-Sinularia_flexibilis_2.jpg

• Like 4

I have pulsing xenia in my 10 gallon. I keep it on a lone rock away from everything else. It grows very quickly to cover the rock and when it cant grow further drops arms and they blow around in my tank. So far I have caught the dropped arms before they have attached to any of my rock work. I glue the dropped arms to rubble and grow them out a few weeks to take to my LFS for credit on things I need. I have changed out my parent rock many times because it has gotten to congested with xenia. I just keep one of the dropped arms and glue it to a new empty rock and let it grow out to cover the rock again. I then sell the congested rock...If that makes sense.

I had xenia in several of my tanks years ago and always had an issue with it taking over but had never isolated it like I do now. I really like the pulsing and movement it ads to my little tank. I am not sorry I added it. :)

• Like 2

TY M2M. I did initially see some Xenia at my LFS, liked it, but our tank was still cycling at the time. And during the cycling I had seen or asked about Xenia and Learned about it's quick Growth. And have now decided against it. It is an interesting Coral.

I am leaning now towards Leathers, I think.

• Like 2

saltyunderground had one when i ordered from them a few weeks ago

TY Penny...At least that will help with a starting point... B)

StinkyBunny

Astinus, those are damn hard to come by. There is a long polyp green one as well which we have in the wife's tank. Both command crazy prices. I see the weeping willow ones on Indo lists all the time. I order them, but have only gotten 2.

Pinner Reef

Here is my GSP with new Growth. I also took some "Top Down" Pics. And, because I think it is funny, a Snail with what looks like a sponge growing on it's shell.

1st is the GSP...

Snail.... "Sportin' " his Sponge. U kind of need to look hard...it is near the Frag on the right

Now some "Top Down" Shots B) Ignore the Cyano :furious: Getting water tomorrow and sucking that chit up!

Tube Worm and BTA

And now my Favorite...and I think the best for last....

If u couldn't tell, I do like sharing pics. :wub:B):P

Gawd, how I love reefing newbs... everything is a new adventure for you guys :lol:

Do yourself a favor and move that GSB rock into the sand... It'll take over the rocks faster than you would think. You can move the cloves up there in it's place as they grow a bit slower.

signed

-old reef keeper

• Like 1

Gawd, how I love reefing newbs... everything is a new adventure for you guys :lol:

Do yourself a favor and move that GSB rock into the sand... It'll take over the rocks faster than you would think. You can move the cloves up there in it's place as they grow a bit slower.

signed

-old reef keeper

TY Pinner. I will move the GSP to the Sand Bed.

• Like 1
Pinner Reef

Right, the GSP...

Sorry for making fun of ya by the way. But it is refreshing to hear people speak of all the little things that we who are "long in the tooth" always overlook and fail to appreciate. :)

Right, the GSP...

Sorry for making fun of ya by the way. But it is refreshing to hear people speak of all the little things that we who are "long in the tooth" always overlook and fail to appreciate. :)

lmao! I actually enjoyed ur previous comment and took no offense :D

I actually know and understand the comment as I have experienced those feelings from other experiences and knowledge I have and to watch a "Newb" "Grow".

Signed

-Newbie Reefer- :PB)

• Like 1

Awesome. LA has it on sale.

I have heard that Xenia can become an issue....like weeds. Is this true? I Know I saw ur thread, Stella. Just somewhat concerned.

I use to love my xenia. Very pretty and pulsating all of the time-one of the more interesting corals in my tank. BUT THEN IT WENT ROGUE! Now I dislike my xenia very much. pops up everywhere and covers Zoas and mushrooms. I am constantly cutting them back. If you can keep them isolated on it's own island then you might be ok