Coral Vue Hydros

Astinus' Build *A work in Progress*

Astinus

I didn't know the bubble corals were so difficult to keep happy!!! That's a bummer..it was so pretty last I saw. At least everything else is looking wonderful :) That new octospawn is really pretty!

• Like 1

I didn't know the bubble corals were so difficult to keep happy!!! That's a bummer..it was so pretty last I saw. At least everything else is looking wonderful :) That new octospawn is really pretty!

TBH Gena, Neither did I when we 1st got the Bubble. Only after did I hear that it was difficult.

Yes, SaltCritters really did pick out a nice Octospawn for me.

And TY too for the compliment regarding everything else :)

• Like 1

Hmm, Last night, I think it was mariaface that mentioned something along those lines and recommended

Macro(Micro)Bacter 7?

I am dirt broke right now. I mean maybe 1 dollar in the bank right now. I get my VA pay tonight at Midnight.

Tomorrow I will be going to the LFS for supplies, while there I will ask about it. I Need to get some of their

RO/DI Water and their RO/DI SW for a WC. I Do not have a RO/DI unit and the Water is cheap enough, sometimes Free :)

I Do have IO for emergency use.

TY for that tidbit Vlangel :)

• Like 1

If you can't get a bacterial supplement, that's okay! Just make sure you keep up with water changes (try not to let alk skyrocket, though), carbon filtration, etc, to keep the water clear/clean. Don't do anything that would harm your bacterial populations too much (overhaul of rocks/sand, peroxide, etc), of course, but keep up with replacing mechanical filtration as often as possible so nothing gets a chance to rot.

Definitely stop trying to feed the coral actual food (frozen, pellets, etc) until its mouth gets back into shape. Since corals can also pick up nutrients through their flesh, feel free to add small amounts of vitamin or amino acid supplements if you already have them. Or continue to feed the rest of the tank so the water can carry something over to it.

If you were feeding it every single morning, I can imagine some foods being dissolved more slowly, rotting inside the stomach, and getting a chance to turn into a bacterial infection. Hopefully it starts to recover. And if it hasn't melted yet, that's.. hopefully good? Fingers crossed!

Hmm, Last night, I think it was mariaface that mentioned something along those lines and recommended

Macro(Micro)Bacter 7?

I Need to get some of their RO/DI Water and their RO/DI SW for a WC. I Do not have a RO/DI unit and the Water is cheap enough, sometimes Free :)

I Do have IO for emergency use.

Microbacter 7 :)

Have you measured the alk for their water, the alk for freshly mixed IO, and TDS for their RO/DI water?

Careful with large water changes if this is what caused your alk to sit at 14dKH the other day! That's super high. At most, alk should go up 1dKH over 24 hours (gradual change, not the sudden kind from a water change). And that's if you're trying to bring alk up in general, which shouldn't be the case if you're still at 10dKH.

• Like 1

TY Maria! Yes, tomorrow I will be getting a Bacterial supplement? The stuff u can add to help start or maintain an aquarium.

I've taken ur advice about stop feeding the Bubble Coral, in fact, I have tried to reduce the amount and how often I feed the

remaining Corals. When I tested my Nitrates earlier this morn, they were 0. So, I am hoping this is a good sign I am going in right direction. I Feed Zooplankton once a week and or Coral Frenzy.

If you can't get a bacterial supplement, that's okay! Just make sure you keep up with water changes (try not to let alk skyrocket, though), carbon filtration, etc, to keep the water clear/clean. Don't do anything that would harm your bacterial populations too much (overhaul of rocks/sand, peroxide, etc), of course, but keep up with replacing mechanical filtration as often as possible so nothing gets a chance to rot.

Definitely stop trying to feed the coral actual food (frozen, pellets, etc) until its mouth gets back into shape. Since corals can also pick up nutrients through their flesh, feel free to add small amounts of vitamin or amino acid supplements if you already have them. Or continue to feed the rest of the tank so the water can carry something over to it.

If you were feeding it every single morning, I can imagine some foods being dissolved more slowly, rotting inside the stomach, and getting a chance to turn into a bacterial infection. Hopefully it starts to recover. And if it hasn't melted yet, that's.. hopefully good? Fingers crossed!

Microbacter 7 :)

Have you measured the alk for their water, the alk for freshly mixed IO, and TDS for their RO/DI water?

Careful with large water changes if this is what caused your alk to sit at 14dKH the other day! That's super high. At most, alk should go up 1dKH over 24 hours (gradual change, not the sudden kind from a water change). And that's if you're trying to bring alk up in general, which shouldn't be the case if you're still at 10dKH.

TY for the Microbacter 7

And no, I haven't tested their Water Alk nor do I have a TDS meter.

TBH, my husbandry isn't the best :( I do 5 gallon water changes maybe a tad more, like 7 or 8 Gal, once a month.

I Do however take care to make sure the Mechanical Filter (Black Sponge) gets cleaned once a week and I change out Carbon every 2 weeks. I rinse that sponge out under running tap water to remove all the crap that it catches then I make sure I shake out all the

excess water from the sponge before replacing it back into the media rack.

I'm awful at water changes; I'm not going to pretend I do them regularly :P But I do try to get parameters in line before I come in with a 30% water change after a month or two >>'

What I'd say to that:

-See if you can get your hands on a temperature-compensating TDS meter, hand held.

-See if you can switch to bonded filter floss instead of a sponge. I either get it from inTank or in bulk (talking like 7x2 feet) off amazon, then cut it into the shape of my inTank media basket so it sits at the very top. After three days to a week, I throw it out and replace with the next cutouts. My supply usually lasts over a year.

-If you're rinsing anything before putting it into the tank, try to use RO/DI water last. If something has to go under tap water because of water pressure or chlorine or whatever, make sure it gets a final rinse in RO/DI so you're not adding metals/bacteria/stuff in your tank.

• Like 1

TY Again, Maria. That "Sponge" material is a Square block of Black Man made stuff.

I hadn't thought too much about it, TBH. Other than to clean it.

Here is a Link to the Material I am using.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=13735&cmpid=03cseYY&gclid=CjwKEAjw97K_BRCwmNTK26iM-hMSJABrkNtbNE-4cpxdQH9oxHrJquP2pKSg6PvuKUm3ydiIbnmYqhoC88Pw_wcB

• 3 months later...

Happy NEW YEAR! Everyone!

Well, I have an update. Not to good, but an update nonetheless.

Tank is not so good :( My fault..boils down to Husbandry! This is a New Year and, well, another resolution. I need to increase my water changes and reduce my feeding. Still have 2, 4 banded Damsels and a Lawnmower Blenny :wub:

So....what is going on? I have some nasty algae (Pulling it out manually). Green hair and some Bubble. I am also dealing with a sh*t ton load of Aiptasia. I have been feeding the Coral more often than I should.

I was going to replace my LR because of the algae and Aiptasia, but was informed that I could "Starve" the Algae and possibly the Aiptasia by reducing my feeding of Coral and reduce my Nitrates to less than 10. Nitrates are currently 40. Other Parameters are good.

So, I did a 10 gal WC t'day and will do another 10 gal in 5 days.

I realize now just how important it is to do those WCs!

Shar saw some Coral that she did like, but, not until I get the Water quality back in check (Nitrates) And back doing the right thing for the tank, can we think about adding Coral.

TBH, I am embarrassed to post any pics of Tank right now because of the Algae, Aiptasia and also all the dang Tube Worms!

Thank You all for following my Thread....and I am sorry about not updating my thread...I have not been myself for a few months.

I do hope to get back to being more active again.

• Like 4

boils down to Husbandry! This is a New Year and, well, another resolution. I need to increase my water changes and reduce my feeding.

I need to increase water change frequency and feed more :blush:

• Like 1

Happy NEW YEAR! Everyone!

Well, I have an update. Not to good, but an update nonetheless.

Tank is not so good :( My fault..boils down to Husbandry! This is a New Year and, well, another resolution. I need to increase my water changes and reduce my feeding. Still have 2, 4 banded Damsels and a Lawnmower Blenny :wub:

So....what is going on? I have some nasty algae (Pulling it out manually). Green hair and some Bubble. I am also dealing with a sh*t ton load of Aiptasia. I have been feeding the Coral more often than I should.

I was going to replace my LR because of the algae and Aiptasia, but was informed that I could "Starve" the Algae and possibly the Aiptasia by reducing my feeding of Coral and reduce my Nitrates to less than 10. Nitrates are currently 40. Other Parameters are good.

So, I did a 10 gal WC t'day and will do another 10 gal in 5 days.

I realize now just how important it is to do those WCs!

Shar saw some Coral that she did like, but, not until I get the Water quality back in check (Nitrates) And back doing the right thing for the tank, can we think about adding Coral.

TBH, I am embarrassed to post any pics of Tank right now because of the Algae, Aiptasia and also all the dang Tube Worms!

Thank You all for following my Thread....and I am sorry about not updating my thread...I have not been myself for a few months.

I do hope to get back to being more active again.

Happy New Year to you and Shar too!

We all go through tank struggles so don't be embarrassed and don't feel pressured about pics either. You and your tank will get there and when you do, then post pics.

I am just happy to see you back. :-)

• Like 1

Yeah, I understand about increasing the water changes. I've been really bad on this end and I'm using the razor to clean my glass more than I should be as I'm not doing water changes lately on Gert's tank or my 10g.

• Like 1

I hear ya Maria! I have "Fish Flakes" I need to rely a little more on that than feeding the frozen stuff.

I tend to see more algae issues when I feed flake. What frozen are you feeding?

I hear ya Maria! I have "Fish Flakes" I need to rely a little more on that than feeding the frozen stuff.

I actually need to start feeding more frozen :P I have a pack of LRS nano sitting around because even those 'tiny' chunks are too big for my only fish. I get to use a scalpel and mince it down to teeny pieces, but I can't get them as small as Holy Carp can :(

I also have PE mysis and calanus, elive mysis, and I think I threw out the older packs of bloodworms, baby brine shrimp, etc.

I think that you should show the ugly pics......

i am still new to reefing and i like to see that even experienced reefers have ugly tanks sometimes. it gets boring seeing all the picture perfect reefs.

lets hear it for all the the ugly tanks!!!!! :happydance:

• Like 2

I tend to see more algae issues when I feed flake. What frozen are you feeding?

I alternate with Baby Mysis, Spirolina Mysis, Cyclops, PE Calanus Reef Frenzy and flake.

I am going to try and "starve" the algae by getting Nitrates down to below 10, as close to 0 as I can.

I did a 10 gal WC the other day and will do another 10 in 3 days.

Once I finally have my Nitrates back under control, I want to add a couple Peppermint Shrimp for the Aiptasia issue.

I am also using Aiptasia-X for them suckers! With some success.

Hold on. Let me get you a current pic of Gertie's tank. It's not so perfect either right now.

Here! You see her??

20170103_211230_zpstpmzrqgk.jpg

Try here

20170103_211323_zpsc41vxmqb.jpg

lol! TY Flower for the pics :) I definitely could not see Gerty at 1st...then I looked closely at the 2nd pic and found Gerty in the 1st!

She can certainly hide! Can't she?

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Quick update..not much. Bought 3 Emerald Crabs for some Bubble Algae and other Algae issues.

I re-gained Nitrate Control and finally, after some manual removal and a Lawnmower Blenny, I regained some control of Algae.

I also got 6 Peppermint Shrimp for a nasty Aiptasia issue. :(

Since I have seriously reduced feeding to mostly Flake food for the Fish, I have recently (1 week ago) noticed that the elegance

coral has retracted some so I have started to try and target feed it with a variety of "Coral" food , to include Spirulina Brine Shrimp.

The Open Brain, Torch and Zoas are looking Good. Some of the Zoas sadly, have quite a few aiptasia within and I have been treating with Aiptasia-X with some success, but, it is nastily out of control :(

That is all.

(BTW, Got the Emerald Crabs and shrimps 4 days ago, will take time to see a difference)

• Like 3

I sometimes go through a similar back and forth. Cutting back on frozen/fresh food helps with nitrates and algae, but then the meat eating lps suffers. So then I fatten them back up and nitrates go up again.

I'm sure there's a happy medium but I always struggle finding it.

• Like 1