Pod Your Reef

Astinus' Build *A work in Progress*

Astinus

The ONLY thing that's 100% death for Aiptasia are Berghia nudibranchs. Every once in a while I get one in a shipment, but it's rare. Some Copperbands will eat them, but most people don't have a tank that would support them. Matted Filefish will eat them, but they may eat your corals as well. I'm hoping to get some Blueline angels in this fall to see if they'll eat them, the other large angels won't touch them.They say that Molly Miller blennies will eat them, I've yet to get some for observation.

I actually looked into some of these options.

Biggest hurdle right now is the Size of Tank.

I have read on the Berghias. These can be expensive.

http://saltyunderground.com/category/berghia-nudibranch

• Like 1

U could try Peppermints. Mine don't appear to be doing anything.

Not sure, but, could they be nocturnal and I am not seeing them?

I do know that I haven't seen any noticeable depletion of the few Aips that I do have.

There's a certain type of peppermint that works. Can't remember the name. I HAVe two in my macro tank and they cleared the aiptaisa in less than a week - I probably had a good 40 of them at one point.

I actually looked into some of these options.

Biggest hurdle right now is the Size of Tank.

I have read on the Berghias. These can be expensive.

http://saltyunderground.com/category/berghia-nudibranch

The thing with berghias is you really need an infestation of aiptaisa to have them work. It's not the original berghias that clear them out. It's the second generation. Since they only eat aiptaisa, if you don't have enough of a population, they won't find all of them to eat them before they die. I had a serious problem - few hundred aiptaisa in my 66. I added 8 berghias and in about 3-4 months, they demolished them all.

• Like 2

When I had my 90 gallon tank I had an outbreak of aiptaisa. Tried lots of things. Happened to get a lemon peel Angel....... not bc of aiptaisa.....lemon peel ate them all. Had never heard of that before then.

• Like 2

When I had my 90 gallon tank I had an outbreak of aiptaisa. Tried lots of things. Happened to get a lemon peel Angel....... not bc of aiptaisa.....lemon peel ate them all. Had never heard of that before then.

I Googled the Lemon Peel Angel. Liveaquaria has a 70 Gallon minimum tank size for them.

So, I may see about this....

You need Lysmata wurdemanni to eat Aiptasia.

I will defeat them..I get paid this week. Will have to wait.

We do have 2 Peppermint Shrimps...haven't noticed anything yet.

• Like 1

I've kept small Centropyges in a 40B so yea, LA is a smidge off. I also have Purple tangs in a 60 cube and 50 cube. You just have to watch for Tang Psychosis where they start going up and down the glass all the time, stop eating and eventually die. The only tangs I won't keep in small tanks are PBTs and Naso tangs, they need room to swim, 5-8' of length.

• Like 1

I saw a green bubble coral at my LFS on Friday. So gorgeous...just like yours. The color, the bubbles, and the way they gently sway in the current :wub:.

How much are they out there gena?

How much are they out there gena?

I THINK he was asking $60 for it. It was a big one though. I had no intention of buying it which is why I didn't pay much attention to the price. But $60 sounds about right.

I THINK he was asking $60 for it. It was a big one though. I had no intention of buying it which is why I didn't pay much attention to the price. But $60 sounds about right.

That's about the going retail price for them, they're quite expensive to get in from Indonesia.

I thought lemon peels were one of the dwarfs that also frequently ate coral?

They are which is why I'm going to put them into one of the QT tanks with some Aiptasia.

• Like 2

You know, I like the title of your tank because honestly, if anyone has ever said, I like my tank, it's perfect, they're lying. It's ALWAYS a work in progress til we're satisfied, which changes because our tastes change in corals, in fish, etc. We wanna tweak this and that. But it's all fun.

• Like 4

Agree that this scape and growth is looking really natural. Colors are very garden-like. Loving it.

TY Becen. I really appreciate the compliment. As the owner, I can see areas that I dis-like. I See bare rock (New Coral(s)) in future.

Also, I see some of the uglies close up.

You know, I like the title of your tank because honestly, if anyone has ever said, I like my tank, it's perfect, they're lying. It's ALWAYS a work in progress til we're satisfied, which changes because our tastes change in corals, in fish, etc. We wanna tweak this and that. But it's all fun.

EXACTLY!

It truly is a work in progress. What Corals play well with others. What has the nicest colors not to mention a Coral's needs.

TY all :)

Small update.

Went to our favorite LFS yesterday to get some "Supplies" :rolleyes: Mostly Food stuffs for the Reef and some Aiptasia-X.

While speaking with Brandi or is it Brandy? IDK....She is a great help, truly! Anyways, I mentioned about a growing, literally, Algae.

TBH, I really don't know if is Green Hair or not. Awhile ago I added some Tisbe Pods that come in a Green water filled bag with some Chaeto? I added that to the tank, probably 2 months ago. Now I am getting a bit of an issue.
She Mentioned the *GASP* :eek: Shoot me now! Foxface Rabbit. This guy is still small and she re-assured me that it is a slow grower and

I can return for credit, down the road.

Our Cinnamon Clown! IS BEHAVING!!! Is actually hanging out with it. I had to chuckle last night, I hadn't named the Clown, but, I am going to call them Laurel and Hardy! lol! Fat Guy and Skinny.

Pics u say?? Alright, I got some pics this morn.

EQ5yJ0.jpg

pFqeDg.jpg

BOhVuu.jpg

[__]D Cheers

• Like 2

In my experience the Foxface are NOT slow growers. I had mine in my cube less than 6 months before he out grew it. From about 1.5 inches to almost 5 inches when I drained the tank to catch him. He is now one of the largest fish in my big tank. He out grew the triggers in no time. Only my lion, Mofo, is bigger. If there is algae they will eat it. The more they eat- the faster they will grow.

He's cute though. Enjoy him while you can.

• Like 1

TY Slowtwitch. I definitely know that he is not a keeper. That is for sure. With some of the algae, I am hoping to maintain some control

over it. It will be nice to have some credit for more Coral or a Different Fish.

• Like 1

Is he working for you yet? I always wonder about using fish for a problem. They eat the stuff but then they poop and add more nutrients. I guess if you have a protein skimmer or do weekly water changes, that would solve that issue. And a toothbrush to scrub the rock. There was a time when I used a toothbrush weekly on my tank. Now that it's matured, I don't need to.

• Like 1

Is he working for you yet? I always wonder about using fish for a problem. They eat the stuff but then they poop and add more nutrients. I guess if you have a protein skimmer or do weekly water changes, that would solve that issue. And a toothbrush to scrub the rock. There was a time when I used a toothbrush weekly on my tank. Now that it's matured, I don't need to.

Sadly, woke up this morn and Found Foxface stuck to the overflow :tears: He did start pecking at the Algae though, before his demise.

After I removed it and had it in a container, I notice that it seemed quite thin.

I am willing to bet Dollars to Doughnuts that the Clown had something to do with it.

I Feed Flake and a Variety of Frozen Daily. I KNOW I am over feeding, however the Nitrates are between 5 and 10.

I do Dose with NO3PO4-X "Nopox" every morning. I also have a Simple Airstone Protein skimmer.

All the other Livestock looks good, with exception to the Larger Goni which had a Large Aiptasia living in it. I took care

of that sucker with Aiptasia-X. Now, I wonder if I can trim the Dead away from the Main Goni?

I am sorry about your foxface. :-( Its always sad to lose one. Its good to hare that everything else is good. I never had a goni so I wont advise about whether you should trim the dead off of it.

• Like 1

I am sorry about your foxface. :-( Its always sad to lose one. Its good to hare that everything else is good. I never had a goni so I wont advise about whether you should trim the dead off of it.

Yeah, It Sucks. Only had the guy 3 days :( Thanks V.

TBH, I am starting to get discouraged with Fish and The Goni Issue. At least the Tank hasn't totally crashed.

Every time I bring a water sample in to be tested (Weekly) My Params are pretty good, with exception to the Nitrates.

At 1 point the Nitrates were off the chart. Was recommended the Nopox, now the Nitrates are a lot better.

*Sigh* Just gotta remind myself that the Clown and the Corals all look Healthy. (Goni Excepted)

On a Side note. I am perusing Criagslist and found this. Seems Good. IF only we had the Space and the Cash.

https://fortmyers.craigslist.org/chl/for/5753818845.html

• Like 1

Well, I am like, Totally Bummed out T'day. Especially after losing that Beautiful FoxFace.

Brought water sample to be tested...All Good! Nitrates are Between 5 and 10.

After talking with the Shop and Shar, Our Clown has to GO! We will get Store Credit.

As much as we like the Clown, It's size, Tank Size and Time in Tank, it has become quite territorial.

Saw a Helfrichi's Firefish, was Small, and expensive for us at this time, 100+ bucks *Sigh*

I can and will settle on a Purple Firefish when the shop has some. Also saw a Bi-color Blenny, but, again,

because of the Clown, just have to wait.

I did not however come home empty handed :rolleyes: Picked up a Head (Frag)? of a Torch Coral.

Looks Nice :) Before I placed the Frag into the Tank, I went Hog wild with my Toothbrush on the Algae!

Can't tell how well it looks now, All that stuff in water (Cloudy) and Lights went out at 4..No Pics till tomorrow.

That's it for now <_<

• Like 2