Top Shelf Aquatics

Made in Africa - A Shallow Reef

4x5

Hey man, any tips on tank photography, I've just started getting serious into photography but something I struggle with is getting rid of the glare on my tank, do you no how to get rid of it? Thanks in advance.

For full tank shots you just really need to figure out the angles that work best with your frame or eliminate where light is coming from if you don't need it in the photo (shut curtains, turn off lamps etc). My room is impossible, well, nothing is impossible but it would take too much time, so I just roll with the reflections and make them work as best I can. :lol:

For macro photos or photos of things in the tank I like to have the lens up against the glass to remove all reflections.

If you have any examples or questions just shout. :)

• Like 2

Om nom nom nom;

That's all that comes to mind when I see this picture today. Oh and it's getting it's colour back. :)

acan_006.jpg

OM NOM NOM NOM

giphy.gif

Awesome shot. I that an echinata?

• Like 2

unknown_brown_001_january_07_2016.jpg

Unknown Brown Update;

Unknown brown along with all the other corals are colouring up very nicely. Pure brown to this in under 2 weeks. Excited to see it develop.

• Like 9

Oh you are almost at 100 pages of your thread 4x5

I just can't find T5's that work well for tiny tanks....and LED's are a little less heat.

So get a bigger tank? :D

I went on a 17 day vacation. Came back and my corals all colored up massively under my T5s. Luckily I adjusted my lighting just before I left and I think it made a big difference. Raised the light and cut the photoperiod alittle. I think I was slightly bleaching and now my few items are just exploding in color.

I need a better bulb combo then. Haha :D

Hah! 4 x B+, 2 x C+ and 2 x Actinic is what I run. :)

Oh you are almost at 100 pages of your thread 4x5

I just can't find T5's that work well for tiny tanks....and LED's are a little less heat.

100 pages is pretty cool, but maybe I talk too much. :lol: T5s are great, LEDs are great as well - but in my experience both can keep beautiful colours but T5 brings colour back much faster in SPS.

So get a bigger tank? :D

Solution found. :lol:

• Like 2

Wow- awesome pic?

Thanks man. :)

See,I knew there was some blue in there lol or is that a different piece ?

Hah! That you did. :) It's the same piece. Think it's going to be really nice.

I will say,I agree with you it definitely has some potential. I can't wait to see it in a month or 2 when it's packed on some growth and more color.

Shaun, when your doing macro shots. Are you running a higher ISO and keeping the shutter speed high? Pumps off and all? Tank is looking like you are making a come back ;)

-D

Acanthastrea Echinata;
A little more Acan macro love.

Awesome shots, that SPS is colouring up nicely. What sort of filtration are you running now, any media?

Thanks. :) I run a skimmer, carbon passively and Zeolites in a reactor.

I will say,I agree with you it definitely has some potential. I can't wait to see it in a month or 2 when it's packed on some growth and more color.

Indeed, super excited to be back in the Acro game. :)

Shaun, when your doing macro shots. Are you running a higher ISO and keeping the shutter speed high? Pumps off and all? Tank is looking like you are making a come back ;)

-D

Thanks Dave. Indeed, I just boost the ISO to 800 or 1000 if required and keep the speed up at about 1/250, pumps on. Lightroom takes care of any noise but the 5d mkiii is pretty clean at higher ISOs. :)

can we get to 100 pages??

Haha, one day I'm sure. :lol:
  • Like 2
jedimasterben

Thanks Dave. Indeed, I just boost the ISO to 800 or 1000 if required and keep the speed up at about 1/250, pumps on. Lightroom takes care of any noise but the 5d mkiii is pretty clean at higher ISOs. :)

For as much as the entry fee to that camera is, it SHOULD be clean at high ISO :D

I'm still trying to talk myself into a FF camera, I'm definitely limited by the T2i when there isn't quite enough light. I can only get ISO to 800 and photos look ok, but getting to 1600 makes it a noise fest. Can't get a high shutter speed without it, though. :/

• Like 1

For as much as the entry fee to that camera is, it SHOULD be clean at high ISO :D

I'm still trying to talk myself into a FF camera, I'm definitely limited by the T2i when there isn't quite enough light. I can only get ISO to 800 and photos look ok, but getting to 1600 makes it a noise fest. Can't get a high shutter speed without it, though. :/

Haha, touche. :lol:

Grab the Nikon D5 and hand hold to your hearts content - it rolls to 3,280,000 ISO, f32 handheld macro coming up :lol:http://petapixel.com/2016/01/05/the-nikon-d5-is-official-and-the-iso-goes-to-3280000/

• Like 4