SaltCritters.com

Made in Africa - A Shallow Reef

4x5

your tank has always been an inspiration to me, such a nice tank!

those dimensions are just perfect :wub:

Thanks. :) Your build looks promising, looking forward to seeing more.

Mystery Brown Acropora;

One of the brown turds I picked up last week. The tips are already showing colour which is encouraging.

nice! can't wait to cram my tank with acro's :lol::P

Brown ?! I see what looks to be blue in the body and green near the corallites,unless the B+ are making the body look blue.

There's some green hints I'd say but the blue tint is likely from the lights. We'll see what it turns out to be in a few weeks. :lol:

Tank Shot - December 30, 2015;
Not sure if I've really shown this side of the tank yet. Thought it looked pretty cool this morning. 2 new leaves also opened on the mangrove which is nice. :)

rts_december30_2015_1280.jpg

mangrove_december_30_2015.jpg

• Like 14

That mangrove is just flat out cute! never thought I'd say that about a plant :D

Great pictures as always!

Plants rule! Haha! :) It's getting nicer as it gets more leaves. Hopefully I can channel my inner Mr Miyagi and make it into something cool. :lol:
  • Like 1

Great picks- what is the larger blue acro in the center? Stag? I see the dinosaurs

Thanks. I'm not 100% sure to be honest - it's growth is in little clumps and from my googling it looks very similar to a Selago but it doesn't look like a table. Will find out in a few weeks when it colours up. Haha. I've been checking out http://coral.aims.gov.au/info/search.jsp - so many different Acros. :lol:

• Like 2

rts_december30_2015_1280.jpg

Tank has changed dramatically since I last viewed it. Love the look! How long ago did you switch from Kessil to T5? What bulb combo are you running?

Tank has changed dramatically since I last viewed it. Love the look! How long ago did you switch from Kessil to T5? What bulb combo are you running?

Thank you Sir, it's a big change from the old layout but I think it will be good in a few months to a year when the corals are grown in. I switched to T5 about a year ago now - I really do love the unit and the light it puts out. I'm running 4 x B+, 2 x C+ and 2 X Actinic.

How are you enjoying the Powermodule?

• Like 1

Thank you Sir, it's a big change from the old layout but I think it will be good in a few months to a year when the corals are grown in. I switched to T5 about a year ago now - I really do love the unit and the light it puts out. I'm running 4 x B+, 2 x C+ and 2 X Actinic.

How are you enjoying the Powermodule?

4x5 - Very close to my bulb configuration put I have one less B+ which is replaced by P+. I've never found a bulb combo that I love but I do really like having 2 actinics in the mix. The Powermodule is really nice, what I like most about it is the ability to dial in the LEDs to how I want to view the tank in the evening. Basically, T5s during the day for growth and color then LEDs in the evening to appease my eyes.

4x5 - Very close to my bulb configuration put I have one less B+ which is replaced by P+. I've never found a bulb combo that I love but I do really like having 2 actinics in the mix. The Powermodule is really nice, what I like most about it is the ability to dial in the LEDs to how I want to view the tank in the evening. Basically, T5s during the day for growth and color then LEDs in the evening to appease my eyes.

I like that light strategy, finding the perfect bulb combo is quite difficult - I'm about 95% happy with the colour this selection puts out. I also tried a P+ a couple of times but always take it back out and revert to Actinic. I'll probably go the route of the Powermodule if I get a bigger tank. It seems to be the best of all worlds.

hulkthepuffer

Hey man, any tips on tank photography, I've just started getting serious into photography but something I struggle with is getting rid of the glare on my tank, do you no how to get rid of it? Thanks in advance.

MANGROVE :wub::wub:

I'm torn about tossing a mangrove in my 10g. I live on the westcoast of florida, on a canal, and these seedlings are everywhere. If they take root on your seawall and grow, they are protected by Florida Wildlife Conservation (huge fines if cut down), and they tear down your seawall over time, so most of us, pluck them as soon as they try to settle in the rocks and send them on their merry way.

Is it mostly an aesthetic thing, or is there a biological value to having them? Don't get me wrong, it looks pretty dope in the tank.

• Like 1

I'm torn about tossing a mangrove in my 10g. I live on the westcoast of florida, on a canal, and these seedlings are everywhere. If they take root on your seawall and grow, they are protected by Florida Wildlife Conservation (huge fines if cut down), and they tear down your seawall over time, so most of us, pluck them as soon as they try to settle in the rocks and send them on their merry way.

Is it mostly an aesthetic thing, or is there a biological value to having them? Don't get me wrong, it looks pretty dope in the tank.

I think there's a lot of biological benefit to them, but you have to be prepared and equipped to allow them to grow and do their thing - they can quickly fill a sandbed with root, require an insane amount of light and will deplete iron like there's no tomorrow, that said they will keep nutrients down and filter out some dissolved organics.

I'm insanely jealous, I'd love to have access to seedlings like that. I'd probably just have a tank full of plants