Cultivated Reef

Made in Africa - A Shallow Reef

4x5

Yeaaa rough times. I felt horrible throwing everything out. Yea they are fun, and easy lol. No more headaches that come from SPS.

No more test kits! Haha.

+1! One day into the redo the tank looks cooler than mine haha! My Zoas are all 1-7 polyp frags, none of those sexy colonies!

Thanks. :) I've had them for going on 20 months now. Exponential growth is cool.

Dang dude this was an incredible tank sucks when you cant help but watch your corals melt. I recently had my corals die off too so I feel ya. Cant wait to see what you do with the reboot though!

Thanks. :) Sorry to hear about your losses.
  • Like 2

Good to see you've taken your semi crash in a way a true hobbyist does... Pick up the pieces and reboot! While it sucks, if you're anything like me I get tired of my tanks when they near or get near my vision of the final aquascape, this could end up being just as awesome just different, and different is good in most cases imo.

I'll be watching to see where it's going, love the new look so far.

rescape_august_03_1280.jpg

Operation Reboot;

I grabbed some Tonga and decided to go a different route as far as my scaping, please excuse the dirty tank, damn diatoms are back. :lol:. As far as which way I'll go with the tank, I'm not sure. I know when it's ready I wont be able to resist some Acros but I'm leaning towards anemones, zoas and clams and some nice meat for the sand bed.

Dang, all you have is rocks and sand and water and diatoms, and it already looks better than half the tanks on NR :D

• Like 2

Good to see you've taken your semi crash in a way a true hobbyist does... Pick up the pieces and reboot! While it sucks, if you're anything like me I get tired of my tanks when they near or get near my vision of the final aquascape, this could end up being just as awesome just different, and different is good in most cases imo.

I'll be watching to see where it's going, love the new look so far.

Thanks. While it sucks, these things happen and I'm happy with where that tank took me, I've learnt a lot. Going to try something a little different here I think.

Dang, all you have is rocks and sand and water and diatoms, and it already looks better than half the tanks on NR :D

Hah! You're too kind. :)

• Like 1

Sorry man about your tank! :(...lets go with reboot! :)

Thanks, reboot mode is on! :)

You can do it! :D

Enjoy the reboot. I know you can look at the negatives but think of it as a blank canvas.

-Dave

Thanks Dave. It sucked at the time but I'll move onwards. :)
  • Like 1

anemone_shrimp_001.jpg

Anemone Shrimp;
Picked up a couple of inverts for the tank. First up is the Anemone Shrimp, he's an interesting fellow and found his way to one of the BTAs.

• Like 14
  • 2 weeks later...

Ah man, I'm really saddened and sorry for the recent bad luck. I truly hope you're able to continue your path forward and things go smoothly ahead.. Your tank was truly a masterpiece - art.

• Like 1

Hey Shaun, sorry to hear about the tank. :unsure: But if anyone can jump back from a reefing slump, it's you sir!

I am thinking about adding a new sand bed to my tank (I made the mistake of siphoning it weekly and it's pretty much resulted in a bare bottom tank) and re-aquascaping my rock work. The only problem is I have corals and coral frags that have encrusted on to these rocks. For example, I have a Hollywood Stunner chalice that has pretty much engulfed an entire rock because it's grown too quickly. I've wanted to frag it but it being stuck on such a large rock it's impossible to do without prying it off and risk killing it. Is there a way you were successful with removing encrusted corals to reshape your aquascaping? Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Ah man, I'm really saddened and sorry for the recent bad luck. I truly hope you're able to continue your path forward and things go smoothly ahead.. Your tank was truly a masterpiece - art.

Thanks man. All is good, these things happen and life goes on. :)

Hey Shaun, sorry to hear about the tank. :unsure: But if anyone can jump back from a reefing slump, it's you sir!

I am thinking about adding a new sand bed to my tank (I made the mistake of siphoning it weekly and it's pretty much resulted in a bare bottom tank) and re-aquascaping my rock work. The only problem is I have corals and coral frags that have encrusted on to these rocks. For example, I have a Hollywood Stunner chalice that has pretty much engulfed an entire rock because it's grown too quickly. I've wanted to frag it but it being stuck on such a large rock it's impossible to do without prying it off and risk killing it. Is there a way you were successful with removing encrusted corals to reshape your aquascaping? Thanks!

I guess that depends if you're going to just chop off the corals or not. I dumped my old rock so I have no idea but I'm sure with some patience it's pretty simple.

*waits for pics* :happydance:

I should probably get on that.

Shaun, I missed the fact you had to reboot, sorry about that but looking forward to this re-incarnation. Already looks good!

Thanks Mark. :)

I just came back to your thread sorry about what happen but I'm so excited your back in the game so looking forward to this you definitely have one of my favorite tanks

Thanks, we'll see how it goes. The tank is on auto pilot for the moment due to a long upcoming work and personal trip so I don't want to get too excited and then ditch it for a month. :lol:

Looking damn nice. Love tonga scapes when done right ; )

Thanks. The tonga is quite fun to work with, we'll see how it goes. :)
  • Like 2

Update;

The tank is cruising on auto pilot for the most part now due in part to an upcoming work/personal trip. So I'm hoping to get into it more seriously in December. For now I have a few Acros that survived and are looking pretty happy with life.

Rest Easy my Friend;

In personal news, I lost a very close friend recently - we'd been friends for nearly all of our 35 years. We shared the love for marine tanks and in more recent years he was into growing bonsais. I did this ambrotype of a bonsai he made for me as kind of a memorial piece.

leon_bonsai.jpg

Enjoy your friends and family, as much as they can annoy you, you never know when they will be taken away. :)

• Like 8

Glad to hear things are cruising along with the tank Shaun. So sorry to hear about the loss of your friend though, the loss of a loved one never gets any easier I'm afraid. Enjoy a drink and sit back and reminisce about the good times.

• Like 3

Glad to hear things are cruising along with the tank Shaun. So sorry to hear about the loss of your friend though, the loss of a loved one never gets any easier I'm afraid. Enjoy a drink and sit back and reminisce about the good times.

Thanks man. One just has to enjoy the good memories. :)

• Like 2

Very sorry to hear about the loss of your friend :(

Where will your work trip be taking you? (Long ago you mentioned you had some connections up here!)

Thanks man.

I'm off to Sydney and then we're popping over to Calgary to visit some friends and family. If you're around we should try grab a beer or something.

• Like 1