Top Shelf Aquatics

Braaap's IM Abyss Panorama DROP-OFF!

braaap

Howdy. Welcome to my tank thread. 6.5 years removed from reefing I am back. Work finally allows me to be home every night and not on the road for days at a time. So I came back as soon as possible.

This tank is a BRAND NEW (rare because it was discontinued 3 years ago) Innovative Marine Abyss Panorama drop-off. I have always really liked the look and idea of these tanks. I started digging and found a couple websites listing one but they both were "out of stock" when I contacted them. I ended up finding a post on R2R from someone looking for one earlier this year. Someone commented that they knew of an LFS in LA that had a bunch of new ones. Turns out they were right. I contacted the LFS and they had atleast 20 of each style brand new in box. Juan, the owner, claimed he bought all of IMs remaining stock several years back and sells these regularly. 

So I made a deal with him as he doesn't normally ship. I paid far too much for this tank to get it shipped up. Not that he charged me extra just that the tank was quite expensive and shipping is insane these days. 4 days later I had the tank. It all looked good except for a giant hole in the box. But no visible tank damage. So I set it up on my toolbox in my garage for 3 days and did a leak test with heater and pump running. 3 days later all looked good and I tore it down and moved it into my house. When I moved the tank I noticed a small puddle behind the tank but I figured it was from me splashing when draining it.

I set it up and filled it with water in its new home. But later that night I had this weird feeling after reading @gena's thread on her drop off. I looked at the back of my beautiful new tank and sure enough I had a TINY leak. A drip every 5 or so seconds from the seam. I was devastated. Turns out the back glass was broken but you could only see it with a flashlight down the glass pane as the back is wrapped in vinyl and the inside is covered with black acrylic.

I filed a UPS claim and contacted Juan to give it another go. Because I like throwing money at the wind I guess. Long story short Juan double boxed this new tank and it showed up perfectly. And UPS paid out my claim. So win win I guess.

I now have this tank set up and running. I am on week 3 of my cycle and virtually done. My plan is zoas and sps? Not sure. But I am 100% going to have some higher end clowns. Whatever that means along with a mandarin and Swales Basslet.

For equipment its pretty run of the mill. Full Apex system and a brand new Nano Box Reef Duo with custom replacement arrays. I tore it completely down and rebuilt the entire thing from scratch with new arrays that I have been working on since February of this year.

Equipment :

Apex Pro

AI Axis 40(because the IM pump was LOUD)

Nano Box Reef Duo fully rebuilt with Remix V1 arrays

IM Helio Heater ( @Lawnman forced me)

2 MP10mQDs because can't have too much flow

14lbs dry BRS rock

20lbs of shitty caribsea sand (being replaced with reef flakes)

Photo dump below.

D5C3D033-6825-4AAA-966D-7736C28BD2BD.thumb.jpeg.bfae18b4fc4405fd14350f5fe9646638.jpeg

You can see the split.

A33E47F4-E844-4BFB-BE4D-4BF452CA1E37.thumb.jpeg.b8e6a2c36ed992d401d98493666655de.jpeg

Drip drip.

A4D4A225-30A7-4AE1-87AE-1A269EC2455B.thumb.jpeg.60a26e3d8d25bf4abeb566dd5d4702c6.jpeg

Quickly set in place before noticing the leak.

A7B36778-E59D-4B75-A3BD-758532BEDE80.thumb.jpeg.964c68a777c25e599eb85df063cd6889.jpeg

Used the broken tank to work on the scape. I then cycled the rock in a 10gal I'm using as a QT while I waited for the new tank.

B3A85627-CB31-454D-BEA7-8F89210FAD97.thumb.jpeg.4c41b9f39f40f56392e7c996902f36d0.jpeg

Top downish scape view.

CEF97E12-9776-4A66-A74F-247C2B053161.jpeg

Tank in its spot.

• Like 4
On 12/8/2023 at 9:27 PM, Ap1194 said:

Hello, would you mind sharing what store has them. Also how much did you end up paying with shipping?

7 Seas Tropical Fish in San Pedro CA. Call and talk to Juan. I had to send him a label but I paid $450 for the tank and shipping cost me $150.

• 4 weeks later...
NoOneLikesADryTang

I love these IM Drop Offs. I keep hoping I’ll find a used one in my area that I can pick up for a future tank. 

Looking forward to following along with this build! 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

I love these IM Drop Offs. I keep hoping I’ll find a used one in my area that I can pick up for a future tank. 

Looking forward to following along with this build! 

There are new ones available for shipping lol. Getting scarce now considering they were discontinued 3+ years ago.

• Like 1
NoOneLikesADryTang
On 12/2/2023 at 5:54 PM, braaap said:

Nano Box Reef Duo fully rebuilt with Remix V1 arrays

Also - I missed this on my first pass. I’m intrigued. Can you tell us more about this? 

25 minutes ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

I just so happen to have a Tide that needs a little love… If I can find the damn light, I will hit you up sir! 
Season 2 GIF by Twin Peaks on Showtime

I just made 6 more arrays so let me know!

• 2 months later...