Innovative Marine Aquariums

Debate: Will the Coronavirus outbreak affect the reefing community

Nauticus

I'm surprised prices haven't already skyrocketed with all the quarantines and shops being locked down. Take good care of your corals peeps, grow them out and maybe use this downtime to make your tanks better. 

• Like 2

I have been worried about ordering on line. Delays in shipping could cause the loss of so much live stock. Here in Florida we are already seeing temperatures in the high eighties to low nineties. A one day delay could cause the livestock to just cook in the truck. This is always a possibility / risk but with increase of so many other items needed or wanted it seems like an even larger risk than normal. 

• Like 1

I really like this suggestion... even if you think that scratchy throat, mild cough, and runny nose are just seasonal allergies or a cold... or even if you have no symptoms at all... you could have a mild case and still be contagious and pass it on to others who might not fare as well... please do your part right now. 

55C16452-C3B6-4553-8F6C-CF688EFB0C3A.thumb.jpeg.59281de541901340bc0eb7568d46efe8.jpeg

• Like 4
6 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

I have been worried about ordering on line. Delays in shipping could cause the loss of so much live stock. Here in Florida we are already seeing temperatures in the high eighties to low nineties. A one day delay could cause the livestock to just cook in the truck. This is always a possibility / risk but with increase of so many other items needed or wanted it seems like an even larger risk than normal. 

I mailed a package overnight this week by 1030am using FedEx and it arrived early. I was worried to but seemed business as usual.

• Like 3
6 minutes ago, banasophia said:

Maybe the best $6 I ever spent on my tanks 🤗

494FDCA4-AE73-47CD-A9E1-693A3FBBBB1D.thumb.png.a9e35b2fbb4270c4c656aebb6473e75e.png

Yeah, I use a diesel siphon-starter myself, or just, you know, lift the tube out of the water and let gravity start the siphon.

• Like 2
On 3/19/2020 at 9:03 PM, Tamberav said:

I saw two people in public with masks and gloves today and they were both in their 20's.

To be fair though, you don’t know their health background. My friends little sister (In her early 20s) is immunocompromised and someone at a store yelled at her for being a selfish hoarder since she was shopping with a mask and gloves. She’s been wearing a mask in public for the last six months or so. 

• Like 4

I use a mask and gloves due to frequently being in contact with immunocompromised people and people with respiratory issues, If I bring it home the odds are super high they'll get it and it won't go well. I'm healthy as hell but I the people I live with may not be. 

• Like 3
43 minutes ago, Hannahhhh said:

To be fair though, you don’t know their health background. My friends little sister (In her early 20s) is immunocompromised and someone at a store yelled at her for being a selfish hoarder since she was shopping with a mask and gloves. She’s been wearing a mask in public for the last six months or so. 

Yes that's why I didn't say anything but I hope they have family to help them as this gets worse.

Some people probably just assholes though...

https://imgur.com/gallery/BjE7rKV

• Like 4
squamptonbc
11 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

Some stores in Canada don't seem to be willing to take the risk, most if not all have stopped shipping, at least all the ones I shop with. Can't blame them, airlines are cutting back so significantly its not reliable anymore, same with inbound shipments to the store, stores have stopped ordering, I expect a livestock shortage if this keeps on too long, but then if it keeps on for a couple months, I also see people leaving the hobby as they will have bigger concerns like food and housing and not having a job.

Some economists are expecting 10-20% unemployment in my province, and I don't know if fish stores will even be able survive at this point.

43 minutes ago, squamptonbc said:

Stores in Canada don't seem to be willing to take the risk, most if not all have stopped shipping, at least all the ones I shop with. Can't blame them, airlines are cutting back so significantly its not reliable anymore, same with inbound shipments to the store, stores have stopped ordering, I expect a livestock shortage if this keeps on too long, but then if it keeps on for a couple months, I also see people leaving the hobby as they will have bigger concerns like food and housing and not having a job.

Some economists are expecting 10-20% unemployment in my province, and I don't know if fish stores will even be able survive at this point.

Where are you located? I'm in Québec and just ordered frags from fragbox. Reefsupplies and aquarium depot are still shipping too:)

squamptonbc
1 hour ago, Melfy77 said:

Where are you located? I'm in Québec and just ordered frags from fragbox. Reefsupplies and aquarium depot are still shipping too:)

BC. I have no need to order livestock, but the main store in BC has stopped shipping livestock, but they still ship dry goods as far as I know, and one of the freshwater stores out this way has mostly stopped shipping, but airline flights are unreliable these days so I can see why stores out here are not willing to risk the life of fish.

ECLS Reefer
4 minutes ago, GraniteReefer said:

But he is and we should

That's fine, it's your choice. However, all the constant stream of invective from the media trying to drive a political narrative right now, while we are trying to deal with a horrific crisis, AND held captive for the most part in our homes, is A., not working according to Trump's most recent approval ratings and B., only adding to the anxiety level of everyone while trying to lay low on this virus. The media needs to lay off. We get it. They hate Trump and they dislike Republicans or anyone that doesn't share their opinions. But right now, can we not focus on positive things while trying to keep our sanity?

3 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

They've had reports from New Jersey of nurses getting punched while going home or going to work. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
1 hour ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

That's fine, it's your choice. However, all the constant stream of invective from the media trying to drive a political narrative right now, while we are trying to deal with a horrific crisis, AND held captive for the most part in our homes, is A., not working according to Trump's most recent approval ratings and B., only adding to the anxiety level of everyone while trying to lay low on this virus. The media needs to lay off. We get it. They hate Trump and they dislike Republicans or anyone that doesn't share their opinions. But right now, can we not focus on positive things while trying to keep our sanity?

They've had reports from New Jersey of nurses getting punched while going home or going to work. 

The response from the fed, at essentially every turn, hasn't been helping, the easter-sunday bit certainly isn't going to help and it takes allot of mental-gymnastics to avoid confronting that reality.

No offense, but I never understood the marginalized-majority media trope. The most popular network is also somehow an underdog but also the only one out of dozens telling the truth, but also the one being attacked -while also being the one that has to attack and brandish the truth for others to see - all while simultaneously insisting the truth is being hidden.
Frankly allowing media to be an engagement, entertainment, and ratings-based commercial outlet in the states has mostly had the predictable-outcome of moving information towards tabloid-format. Ratings don't reflect accuracy or quality, just the ability to keep people watching and support advertisers.

I really just don't understand the victim-complex of the american right to begin with, you can't have it all ways at once by claiming to be a minority, and a silent-majority, repressed by a shadowy and subversive hollywood media, trying to covertly instill liberalism into the unsuspecting; and then establish exclusively-conservative-schools and news organizations which unabashedly only present one-side of news stories and directly aim to instill "party values" into children and their audiences.

But I'm just a technocrat who reads allot and doesn't much understand or adhere to any particular tribe I guess...

(That was my long-winded way of saying, sometimes, when you mess-up, you have to take responsibility for it - even if it was your "home team")

• Like 1
ECLS Reefer
12 minutes ago, Amphrites said:

The response from the fed, at essentially every turn, hasn't been helping, the easter-sunday bit certainly isn't going to help and it takes allot of mental-gymnastics to avoid confronting that reality.

No offense, but I never understood the marginalized-majority media trope. The most popular network is also somehow an underdog but also the only one out of dozens telling the truth, but also the one being attacked -while also being the one that has to attack and brandish the truth for others to see, while also insisting the truth is being hidden.
Frankly allowing media to be an engagement, entertainment, and ratings-based commercial outlet in the states has mostly had the predictable-outcome of moving information towards tabloid-format. Ratings don't reflect accuracy or quality, just the ability to keep people watching and support advertisers.

I really just don't understand the victim-complex of the american right to begin with, you can't have it all ways at once  by claiming to be a minority, and a silent-majority; repressed by a shadowy and subversive hollywood media, trying to covertly instill liberalism into the unsuspecting, while also literally establishing schools and news organizations which unabashedly only-present one-side of news stories and directly aim to instill "party values" into children and their audiences.

But I'm just a technocrat who reads allot and doesn't much understand or adhere to any particular tribe I guess...

(That was my long-winded way of saying, sometimes, when you mess-up, you have to take responsibility for it - even if it was your "home team")

Talk about confused emoji. Amprhites, I am an independent, with a bad attitude towards voting. I'll admit it, it's shameful, but yeah I am always embittered towards lending my voice to a party that doesn't listen. So I'm in NO party. I agree with whatever makes sense to me. Also, your replies are so erudite I'm almost forced to diagram the sentences out to figure out where you're going. Tone down the smart to normal, exhausted people level.

I hate the media, classically and historically they DO lie and spin things to suit their purposes or the purposes of those who are paying them. That's not a complaint or a conspiracy; it's been documented throughout history. Whether they're covering things up at the moment, I couldn't say-it would most likely be known many years down the road. What I DO know is they almost universally hate Trump, which is fine--All I'm saying right this moment is lay off the negative constant bitching they're doing. Does it actually help matters for them to take every crazy thing he says and blow it up in every quarantine-captive American's face? No. Does that level of angst add to the anxiety on a national level? Most likely. All they're doing is spreading bile. 

Not sure how you got on minorities or silent majorities... I'm just saying I wish the media would post more puppies and unicorns and rainbows at the moment.

• Like 3
43 minutes ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

Talk about confused emoji. Amprhites, I am an independent, with a bad attitude towards voting. I'll admit it, it's shameful, but yeah I am always embittered towards lending my voice to a party that doesn't listen. So I'm in NO party. I agree with whatever makes sense to me. Also, your replies are so erudite I'm almost forced to diagram the sentences out to figure out where you're going. Tone down the smart to normal, exhausted people level.

I hate the media, classically and historically they DO lie and spin things to suit their purposes or the purposes of those who are paying them. That's not a complaint or a conspiracy; it's been documented throughout history. Whether they're covering things up at the moment, I couldn't say-it would most likely be known many years down the road. What I DO know is they almost universally hate Trump, which is fine--All I'm saying right this moment is lay off the negative constant bitching they're doing. Does it actually help matters for them to take every crazy thing he says and blow it up in every quarantine-captive American's face? No. Does that level of angst add to the anxiety on a national level? Most likely. All they're doing is spreading bile. 

Not sure how you got on minorities or silent majorities... I'm just saying I wish the media would post more puppies and unicorns and rainbows at the moment.

Can't blame you for that, I could get into a bunch of weird history and such but that's another needless wall of text lol. 
Sorry I'm sick and have taken too many english courses, it's an awful mix, usually I go back and clean up the messes I write but that's going to be too much for me right now haha. (I still went back and did it, I need help...)

• Like 2
ECLS Reefer
Just now, Amphrites said:

Can't blame you for that, I could get into a bunch of weird history and such but that's another needless wall of text lol. 
Sorry I'm sick and have taken too many english courses it's an awful mix, usually I go back and clean up the messes I write but that's going to be too much for me right now haha.

Hey normally I wouldn't care and I like reading big words. BUT. I've been created a homeschool teacher this week, and both my husband and I have been quarantined for coming up on 13 days. Waaaaaay too much togetherness. My brain is tired, and I need to get out of this house, for reals.

I'm so mentally tired from this forced captivity that Ruby Rod on The Fifth Element is riotously hilarious.

• Haha 2
11 minutes ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

Hey normally I wouldn't care and I like reading big words. BUT. I've been created a homeschool teacher this week, and both my husband and I have been quarantined for coming up on 13 days. Waaaaaay too much togetherness. My brain is tired, and I need to get out of this house, for reals.

I'm so mentally tired from this forced captivity that Ruby Rod on The Fifth Element is riotously hilarious.

Yeah, my wife was going pretty stir-crazy having to stay cooped up for a week or so as well lol.

• Like 2
ECLS Reefer
2 minutes ago, Amphrites said:

Yeah, my wife was going pretty stir-crazy having to stay cooped up for a week or so as well lol.

Thank goodness my husband is going back to work tomorrow and I'm cleared to return starting Saturday. I'm even sick of looking at my fish (sort of)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
5 hours ago, squamptonbc said:

Some stores in Canada don't seem to be willing to take the risk, most if not all have stopped shipping, at least all the ones I shop with. Can't blame them, airlines are cutting back so significantly its not reliable anymore, same with inbound shipments to the store, stores have stopped ordering, I expect a livestock shortage if this keeps on too long, but then if it keeps on for a couple months, I also see people leaving the hobby as they will have bigger concerns like food and housing and not having a job.

Our lfs are still open. Considered an essential business. Some are only online orders, others still offering walk in with less ppl in stores, shortened hrs, only dry good available and fish rooms closed.

• Like 2