Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Debate: Will the Coronavirus outbreak affect the reefing community

Nauticus

1 hour ago, Tamberav said:

Ya we don't have that...laugh... Ya right... In my dreams...

I know, it would make thing so much easier if you did. It would really take the burden off you.

It doesn't cover everything but it certainly helps.

• Like 4

Everyone in our ED has to wear masks and a certain section is dedicated to respiratory stuff where they have to wear n95 and goggles all the time. Some have the full systems on and body suits with filtration systems like ghost buster style for certain patients.

Day by day we go...

If you ever had to keep on a N95 for 12 hours....it feels suffocating...

• Like 4
  • Sad 1
20 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Everyone in our ED has to wear masks and a certain section is dedicated to respiratory stuff where they have to wear n95 and goggles all the time. Some have the full systems on and body suits with filtration systems like ghost buster style for certain patients.

Day by day we go...

It looks suffocating.

I wore just standard medical mask at school all day during Sars, that wasn't fun, I found that unbearable,  let alone the n95 or more. 

1 hour ago, Clown79 said:

It looks suffocating.

I wore just standard medical mask at school all day during Sars, that wasn't fun, I found that unbearable,  let alone the n95 or more. 

Ya it's horrible...but we lost a large amount of staff to getting covid because you don't know what comes through that door so they implemented this before all the staff is in QT. Supervisor said something like 14 staff members.

Also a Dr here at the children's hospital tested positive and he was in contact with MANY people so now they backtracking everyone he was in contact with. They said about 200 people. I hope he wasn't caring for any of the children with cancer and such.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2
  • Wow 1
3 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Day by day we go...

I can relate, since developing all the nonsense I've been saddled-with, I regularly have to wear a reusable N99 mask for a few hours on the daily - I even have to sleep in it sometimes. Wouldn't really wish it on anyone lol, great for pressure/resistance-training I suppose, it's all the rage with athletes, I'm not a fan of having to work out in them myself haha.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Amphrites said:

I can relate, since developing all the nonsense I've been saddled-with, I regularly have to wear a reusable N99 mask for a few hours on the daily - I even have to sleep in it sometimes. Wouldn't really wish it on anyone lol, great for pressure/resistance-training I suppose, it's all the rage with athletes, I'm not a fan of having to work out in them myself haha.

I do my Kickboxing Sparring training in those

• Like 1
MainelyReefer
3 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Been wearing n95 masks in the grocery store/while in public and even just for that short time it induces what I would call breathing claustrophobia haha.  Thanks for being badass and wearing one all day to help other people.  Scariest part is people give me shitty looks while wearing a mask up here in NH and have yet to see another shopper clad with a mask and gloves.  A majority of other shoppers looked at me like I was an alien while I used the available sanitizer wipes to clean my cart, only one lady actually joined me in taking the lowest level of precaution and wiping her cart.  People coughing into their hands, toting their kids around, no one staying properly  “socially distanced” in the live free or die state.  

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Ya it's horrible...but we lost a large amount of staff to getting covid because you don't know what comes through that door so they implemented this before all the staff is in QT. Supervisor said something like 14 staff members.

Also a Dr here at the children's hospital tested positive and he was in contact with MANY people so now they backtracking everyone he was in contact with. They said about 200 people. I hope he wasn't caring for any of the children with cancer and such.

Ya it's scary.

Same happened here. Cancer dr returned to the cancer hospital, worked with patients, dealt with colleagues, and tested positive.

We haven't heard anything after that about any patient or colleagues being tested or what happened- 

• Sad 2
ECLS Reefer
7 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Day by day we go...

N95s are AWFUL and painful!! I could still feel one on my face 2 days later.

• Sad 2

Our hospital has 87 covid inpatients (27 are in the ICU, 2 of the ICU patients are healthcare workers) 

the administration is contemplating turning operating rooms Into ICU units. 

• Sad 3
  • Wow 3
ECLS Reefer
31 minutes ago, William said:

Our hospital has 87 covid inpatients (27 are in the ICU, 2 of the ICU patients are healthcare workers) 

Wonder how they’re decide if they’re sterile enough when ready to convert back.

1 hour ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

Good question.

I know hospitals are canceling operations, including for cancer. In preparation. So they plan if need be those areas can be used but you bring up a very valid point.

2 hours ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

People in my field will go in to test the air quality and do the proper microbial testing 

• Like 4
squamptonbc

At least one hospital near me has closed its ER to everything except emergencies (a lot of people tend to go to the ER for non-emergencies) so basically unless you have an ER worthy issue they are turning you away, and our hospitals are not even overwhelmed yet, only 13 of the 230 cases in hospital, but they are preparing for an increase, cancelling all elective surgeries and procedures, no longer allowing visitors into the hospital, and limiting who can come in.

My GP was exposed to a patient and is in self isolation, she is doing appointments via phone from home, obviously some patients will be without a doctor during this time if a physical exam is needed, but it is what it is, doctors are not immune from getting this virus.

4 hours ago, William said:

How does that compare to a normal census?

35 minutes ago, wiigelec said:

How does that compare to a normal census?

It's fairly standard for ICU units to remain mostly-empty, to an extent that many hospitals in the United States have single-digits, none, or only partially-equipped retrofits. ( Hospitals in non-nationalized or socialized settings build and employ for profit and run near-capacity 24-7)

To answer your question more directly, it's higher, because there's a virus sending 1 in 5 to the ER - which is more than usual...

8 minutes ago, Amphrites said:

It's fairly standard for ICU units to remain mostly-empty, to an extent that many hospitals in the United States have single-digits, none, or only partially-equipped retrofits. ( Hospitals in non-nationalized or socialized settings build and employ for profit and run near-capacity 24-7)

To answer your question more directly, it's higher, because there's a virus sending 1 in 5 to the ER - which is more than usual...

Thanks. So what is the average daily ICU patient count at @William hospital? “Higher” is qualitative I’m more interested in quantitative. Not trying to be argumentative just curious...