SaltCritters.com

Debate: Will the Coronavirus outbreak affect the reefing community

Nauticus

Thought I would throw It out there and see what the community thinks. Maybe the situation might change your decisions on going to meets up like Reef-A-Palooza or putting projects and orders on the back burner and spending money elsewhere. Maybe it won’t affect anything where you live. But for people in hot zones like Washington state and New York maybe your changing plans. 

It’s a debate. Might not be worth discussing at all. Just wondering what you guys think?

2 minutes ago, Nauticus said:

Thought I would throw It out there and see what the community thinks. Maybe the situation might change your decisions on going to meets up like Reef-A-Palooza or putting projects and orders on the back burner and spending money elsewhere. Maybe it won’t affect anything where you live. But for people in hot zones like Washington state and New York maybe your changing plans. 

It’s a debate. Might not be worth discussing at all. Just wondering what you guys think?

Depending on the status of the virus at the time of those shows , they might make that decisionfor you.  

SXSW is a massive gathering in Austin every year and they have canceled it all together . In the video game industry they have canceled PAX in Amsterdam.  

• Like 1
  • Wow 2

We have a large show occurring here in March.

Honestly if the situation worsens in the areas, that would make me think about not going. As of yet, nothing has been cancelled in Canada.

MainelyReefer

I was going to bring my family to FFM this past weekend but passed because I would feel guilty if my kids got sick just so I could score a deal on a heliofungia. 

• Like 1
SliceGolfer

Nothing to debate. The impacts of COVID-19 will be felt around the globe, by people of all sexes, ethnicities, religions, political association, and industry. A virus does not discriminate.

• Like 7

I live in Seattle and a little nervous about going out since community spread has been happening here for weeks apparently. Needed to go out and buy stuff for my tank this past weekend but decided to stay indoors. I just need some buckets!

• Like 2

Coronavirus isn't new , and this version isn't even as strong as the last publicized version. It spreads faster , but not as deadly. 

People are freaking crazy. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
This guy is extra salty
On 3/7/2020 at 5:09 PM, Nauticus said:

Good point. I know Reef-A-Palooza is in Orlando April 25-26th. We shall see.

I’m praying they don’t cancel and I’ll have to replan my vacation 😭

1 hour ago, Tigahboy said:

I live in Seattle and a little nervous about going out since community spread has been happening here for weeks apparently. Needed to go out and buy stuff for my tank this past weekend but decided to stay indoors. I just need some buckets!

There was a confirmed case in Saint Louis this past weekend. It’s spreading 😂 

3 hours ago, GraniteReefer said:

I was going to bring my family to FFM this past weekend but passed because I would feel guilty if my kids got sick just so I could score a deal on a heliofungia. 

what else did you get?

Keeper of my nieces Ocean
6 hours ago, SliceGolfer said:

Nothing to debate. The impacts of COVID-19 will be felt around the globe, by people of all sexes, ethnicities, religions, political association, and industry. A virus does not discriminate.

Actually, this virus does discriminate by age. Look at the numbers (pun intended)

I cant see common cold 1.9 affecting me personally. As a reefer it has already hit some of my local stores pretty hard. A couple of businesses that make pumps etc order parts from China so that has obviously stopped. Apart from that nothing really going to happen apart from people panicing and general tomfoolery of the public and politicians

MainelyReefer
6 hours ago, This guy is extra salty said:

what else did you get?

Nothing because I didn’t go! I did order some fish from LiveAquaria to ease my addiction though

• Like 1

We were gonna fly to Phoenix for MACNA and to visit my sister, but since we'll be travelling with my son, I'm pausing on further plans. 

We'll see what the pediatrician thinks (next visit in April), and I'll have to actually look into the numbers of children effected. I'll take a 3% chance (or whatever it is) on myself, but my little one can't make that decision for himself... 

We may consider driving instead (but that would take a lot longer), or leaving him with grandma and going for only 3 days. 

• Like 2
9 hours ago, RedCrow said:

It’s hardly any worse than the flu. Treat it the same way you treat flu season. 

I agree...

It's the young...old...and those compromised with other medical conditions who's lives are at risk.

I guess one difference is we have a flu vaccine.

• Like 2

Well there is a difference between the reg flu and covid.

When was the last time flu season affected more than 100,000 at the same time world wide,  has rapidly been transmitted, with thousands in ICU?

We have countries on lockdown- in my 41yrs never seen that with a flu, not even with SARS 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Hot Take - Coronavirus is going to be a benefit to the reefing community since we will likely all be spending more time at home being bored, which means more time spent on maintenance and doing all of the work that you've been putting off for weeks or months while staring at your tank.

• Like 5
  • Haha 4
4 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Well there is a difference between the reg flu and covid.

When was the last time flu season affected more than 100,000 at the same time world wide,  has rapidly been transmitted, with thousands in ICU?

We have countries on lockdown- in my 41yrs never seen that with a flu, not even with SARS 

Pretty much every recorded year since 1999. That's if you accept the GLaMOR Collaborating Teams Reports as part of the WHO which a lot of people don't. 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6815659/

In the end its all bollocks as 99% of statistics are made up on the spot! 😄

• Like 3
Christopher Marks

I am hopeful there will be some clarity before MACNA this August, here in my hometown. It seems most large gatherings and events are being cancelled or postponed through at least April and May so far. This week will be telling.

While many of us may not worry for ourselves, we should consider those in our lives who are at greater risk, facing existing health struggles and complications. Be vigilant for their sake. 

• Like 5
DISQUALIFIED-QQ

Here's what I know. There are flu-like symptoms. People still die from the flu. How people should treat this will depend on their geographic location. If you're on the west coast like the 99% of my family and friends, then I'd take some more precaution than just be casual "oh it's nothing more than the flu." For me in Maryland, we only have 8 confirmed cases but there are more being tested. Fortunately, all cases are self-quarantined. I'm not going to be worried, but I will be vigilant and actually use hand sanitizer. I'm personally biased to normal soap...(not the antibacterial variety).

Common flu can be mitigated by getting your damn flu shot from Walgreens or CVS. A lot of those places offer them for free, so please just go do it. Get vaccinated. It lowers your risk.

Right now, there's no vaccine made for this nCoV. It is new but seems to be related to MERS and SARS coronaviruses. The reason why we're up in a panic and uproar is fear of the new and unknown. I live down the street from the National Institutes of Health. I'm hoping they're working overtime the past three months; my tax dollars are (hopefully) probably going to the Department of Health and Human Services.

There's probably little we can do. I'm assuming most of us aren't children. I'm assuming most of us aren't senior age. I'm also assuming most of us aren't pregnant or nursing...I'll give some leeway to seahorses. We could stock up on supplies. We could make a rush for alcohol (or vodka or highly concentrated grain alcohol solution), tissues, hand sanitizers, and bleach. However the biggest underlying truth is that we can't let panic sway us around. When mania occurs, poor decisions are made and we may end up hurting more than the virus could ever do. The minimum we can do is limit our time in crowded spaces; wash our hands regularly and highly opportunistically; and limit contact and transmission from surfaces to face. If you are the at-risk population, it makes more sense to stock up. Me, personally, a brisk late-20s male with decent health and that doesn't travel outside of his living room probably doesn't need to stock up.

Illnesses do not discriminate, but also consider risk factors that you may carry or enter into will increase likelihood (probability) of occurrence.

1 hour ago, Ratvan said:

Pretty much every recorded year since 1999. That's if you accept the GLaMOR Collaborating Teams Reports as part of the WHO which a lot of people don't. 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6815659/

In the end its all bollocks as 99% of statistics are made up on the spot! 😄

In your life time- when was the last time you saw 2 countries on full lockdown? Besides in 2020?

Statistics are loaded.

Unfortunately from what we can see, in this particular situation, it's worse than normal.

Luckily in north America, we have been lucky so far but imagine all of Canada or the US on lockdown. 

It's not just the actual effects of the virus but the effects on the healthcare systems, peoples personal finances(how many ppl can truly afford not working for 3-6 weeks?) World economics. 

• Like 6
7 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

In your life time- when was the last time you saw 2 countries on full lockdown? Besides in 2020?

Statistics are loaded.

Unfortunately from what we can see, in this particular situation, it's worse than normal.

Luckily in north America, we have been lucky so far but imagine all of Canada or the US on lockdown. 

It's not just the actual effects of the virus but the effects on the healthcare systems, peoples personal finances(how many ppl can truly afford not working for 3-6 weeks?) World economics. 

I can remember three

2015 Ebola. 😄

Sierra Leone

Liberia

Guinea - was sent here!

2009 "Swine Flu"/Mexican Flu/H1N1

Cuba, Argentina and 27 others banned people entering from Mexico

2001 Foot and Mouth

UK was essentially on lockdown

Cant wait for the survivors of those to be wheeled out to scare people more 

• Like 2