Jump to content
Nauticus

Debate: Will the Coronavirus outbreak affect the reefing community

Recommended Posts

jbb_00

I'm more at risk than probably  99.9% of everyone on this site being that I'm around stuff like this every day 

 

That being said you all better vote for my contest pico or I'm coming to your thread and coughing on everything.  🤣

  • Like 4
  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Tamberav

Everything I come across is that flu causes more deaths than COVID-19 and some have mild symptoms and recover in days. It is when pneumonia sets in that you are probably out weeks.

 

I think we are shutting down/scaring people, in a panic... but I don't see any reason it is somehow worse then the flu. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Dirté Sanchez
14 hours ago, SliceGolfer said:

Nothing to debate. The impacts of COVID-19 will be felt around the globe, by people of all sexes, ethnicities, religions, political association, and industry. A virus does not discriminate.

Actually COVID-19 does discriminate. We haven't been able to figure out yet why it's sparing children. I mean, be very thankful, but it's a weird almost exclusively adult only virus.

  • Like 4
  • Wow 1

Share this post


Link to post
Dirté Sanchez
5 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Everything I come across is that flu causes more deaths than COVID-19 and some have mild symptoms and recover in days. It is when pneumonia sets in that you are probably out weeks.

 

I think we are shutting down/scaring people, in a panic... but I don't see any reason it is somehow worse then the flu. 

I heard some awful rumors yesterday that my town was thinking about forcing healthy medical staff to just stay indefinitely at work if they QT too many people out. If that happens I'll tell them I licked doorknobs, the subway seats in NYC, flew to Italy too, and ate some Chinese food just to make sure. I'm not ending up like those poor Chinese healthcare workers stuck there for weeks and wearing isolation gear until I'm bruised with breakdown on my face. It's one thing to deal with a hurricane ride out, and quite another to wear airborne precautions all day every day.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Tamberav
8 minutes ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

I heard some awful rumors yesterday that my town was thinking about forcing healthy medical staff to just stay indefinitely at work if they QT too many people out. If that happens I'll tell them I licked doorknobs, the subway seats in NYC, flew to Italy too, and ate some Chinese food just to make sure. I'm not ending up like those poor Chinese healthcare workers stuck there for weeks and wearing isolation gear until I'm bruised with breakdown on my face. It's one thing to deal with a hurricane ride out, and quite another to wear airborne precautions all day every day.

hah! I am in healthcare too and ya... no thanks. I would rather let the COVID-19 pt cough on me before they try and do that to my body over something that kills less people than the flu.

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Poison Dart Frog

Regardless if people see it as a lesser or greater threat than the flu, the fact that people are paying attention to hand washing and disinfecting things is something that should've been happening anyway during a normal flu season (which has killed 18,000 in the US so far this year). So there isn't a downside to being more vigilant. We will possibly have a lot fewer deaths from the standard flu because of it. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Tamberav

I wonder if this will effect the voting and such.... large number of people all funneling to one place... touching everything...

 

Hope they have hand sanitizer at the polling places. Good thing Washington votes by mail. It should be that way everywhere... no waiting in lines forever. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
mitten_reef

some math, and why we can't just "simply not care/worry" because it's kinda like a flu.  We have decades of medical know-how to slow down and even prevent flu contraction (vaccines), one biggest thing is that covid-19 is an "unstoppable" flu (beyond quarantine and extra hygiene care methods) at the moment. 

 

I'm not a mathematician, but in relative terms, this video did pretty easily digestible math problems.

 

  

  • Like 3
  • Wow 1

Share this post


Link to post
Tamberav

Ya getting the flu sucks...no one wants to be sick.... but shutting down everything and people hoarding toilet paper is hysteria.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
jbb_00

So I am validating hepa filtration carts today. 

 

These 2 guys come walking up with one they just pulled out of the ER , there was a patient in the room, unit was in use as a temp negative pressure system and they just grabbed it and walked out. Brought it in right next to me , and they have zero clue what the patient is here for. 

 

That's how I will get the Wuhan . 🤦‍♂️

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Wow 1

Share this post


Link to post
banasophia

Well I for one don’t want to wipe with leaves if I get quarantined... 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Tamberav
5 minutes ago, banasophia said:

Well I for one don’t want to wipe with leaves if I get quarantined... 

No one needs hoards of TP for something people are told to stay home for 14 days 😛 At least 14 days is what they told those in Wisconsin. 

 

I saw some places put a limit of 2 which at those big box stores should be plenty except those with large families maybe....there's like a billion rolls in those cosco/Sam's club ones.

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
banasophia
2 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

No one needs hoards of TP for something people are told to stay home for 14 days 😛 At least 14 days is what they told those in Wisconsin. 

I guess, but having wiped with leaves when I lived in a village in Africa... just sayin I personally consider TP a necessity, right up there with extra distilled water for my fish tanks... a 1-2 month supply seems like a good idea to me 😬😁

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
William
1 hour ago, Tamberav said:

Everything I come across is that flu causes more deaths than COVID-19 and some have mild symptoms and recover in days. It is when pneumonia sets in that you are probably out weeks.

 

I think we are shutting down/scaring people, in a panic... but I don't see any reason it is somehow worse then the flu. 

Death rate for covid 19 is 6-20 times greater than flu, with people over 60 or with health conditions most effected 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Tamberav
6 minutes ago, banasophia said:

I guess, but having wiped with leaves when I lived in a village in Africa... just sayin I personally consider TP a necessity, right up there with extra distilled water for my fish tanks... a 1-2 month supply seems like a good idea to me 😬😁

Haha ya well it was more those who seem to be buying a years supply but maybe they all have like 10 kids at home....

Share this post


Link to post
William

If I do test positive (I should know by tonight) I would be happy to share my story 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
banasophia
3 minutes ago, William said:

If I do test positive (I should know by tonight) I would be happy to share my story 

Thanks for that... will be thinking of you... hope it comes back all clear. My sister in law traveled to China last month and was briefly quarantined when she got sick after her return... turned out to be flu not coronavirus in her case, but it was scary since there’s still a lot that is not known about this virus.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Tamberav
17 minutes ago, William said:

Death rate for covid 19 is 6-20 times greater than flu, with people over 60 or with health conditions most effected 

When you consider how many have it but not have severe symptoms and don't report it results get screwed. I guess you could say the same for the flu though.

 

But this is closer comparison to the flu and isn't super deadly like SARS or MERS or a zombie attack. 🧟‍♂️ 

 

Also saying something is 20 times more deadly makes it sound really bad....if flu is 0.1 percent that would make this virus only 2 percent. I think right now they say globally 3.4 but sound Korea where a lot of people were tested was more like half a percent.

 

Statistics suck! 

 

It is very sad to lose anyone...no matter the number.

 

I have had elderly come in sick and hospitalized with the flu or other respiratory stuff because a family member visited them that was actively sick. Don't bring Grannie your germs!

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Dirté Sanchez
1 hour ago, mitten_reef said:

some math, and why we can't just "simply not care/worry" because it's kinda like a flu.  We have decades of medical know-how to slow down and even prevent flu contraction (vaccines), one biggest thing is that covid-19 is an "unstoppable" flu (beyond quarantine and extra hygiene care methods) at the moment. 

 

I'm not a mathematician, but in relative terms, this video did pretty easily digestible math problems.

 

  

The reason it's not stoppable is because not one single human outside of those who are genetically lucky will have immunity to this. And kids-I'm wondering if the reason it is sparing kids is because they are still getting regular immunizations and the range of adult ages getting it, no longer get vaccines outside of occasional boosters. So kids have very very active immune systems while adults are in a somewhat complacent state. 🤷🏽‍♀️

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Ratvan

Literally living in a Dan Brown Novel. SMH

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Tamberav
4 minutes ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

The reason it's not stoppable is because not one single human outside of those who are genetically lucky will have immunity to this. And kids-I'm wondering if the reason it is sparing kids is because they are still getting regular immunizations and the range of adult ages getting it, no longer get vaccines outside of occasional boosters. So kids have very very active immune systems while adults are in a somewhat complacent state. 🤷🏽‍♀️

I only get 4 sick days in a year

 

😭

Share this post


Link to post
Dirté Sanchez
Just now, Tamberav said:

I only get 4 sick days in a year

 

😭

We only technically get 5. At 6 you get an official warning and after that you get fired. And they do not accept doctor's excuses AT ALL. If you have a chronic problem you must get FMLS to cover your absences. And that's 5 days in a rolling calendar year. It's one of the harshest, most nonsensical and mean spirited sick policies I've encountered in my entire working career.

  • Sad 1
  • Wow 3

Share this post


Link to post
Tamberav
47 minutes ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

We only technically get 5. At 6 you get an official warning and after that you get fired. And they do not accept doctor's excuses AT ALL. If you have a chronic problem you must get FMLS to cover your absences. And that's 5 days in a rolling calendar year. It's one of the harshest, most nonsensical and mean spirited sick policies I've encountered in my entire working career.

Yes ours is similar... except it is 4 instead of 5. It's not paid either unless you use PTO.... hit 5 and you are in corrective action and then fired if you miss again. 

 

Also not allowed to be late, doesn't matter if it's 1 min for 1 hour. It is treated the same. Two lates = 1 sick day. So if you are late twice in the year... you are now down to 3 sick days. 

 

Work in a hospital...near sick people all the time.... basically not allowed to get sick. 

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Wow 1

Share this post


Link to post
Keeper of my nieces Ocean
1 hour ago, William said:

Death rate for covid 19 is 6-20 times greater than flu, with people over 60 or with health conditions most effected 

Corona death rate is under 2.5% and if you take wuhan out its much lower. Isnt the media trying to scare us enough?

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Tigahboy

I'm not scared about getting it and don't believe we should succumb to the hoarding hysteria, but I don't want to spread it.  There are vulnerable populations out there (i.e., elderly), so trying to do my part and stay as isolated as I can (which required me to have enough supplies at home to do so) while it's actively spreading right now in my community.  And I'm sure the death rates are not fully understood yet b/c of how new Covid-19 is, but whatever it ends up being, it still sucks because it is in addition to the flu so cumulatively we are worse off.

 

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recommended Discussions

×
×
  • Create New...