inTank Media Baskets

Debate: Will the Coronavirus outbreak affect the reefing community

Nauticus

4 hours ago, Diamonds x Pearls said:

Here's what I know. There are flu-like symptoms. People still die from the flu. How people should treat this will depend on their geographic location. If you're on the west coast like the 99% of my family and friends, then I'd take some more precaution than just be casual "oh it's nothing more than the flu." For me in Maryland, we only have 8 confirmed cases but there are more being tested. Fortunately, all cases are self-quarantined. I'm not going to be worried, but I will be vigilant and actually use hand sanitizer. I'm personally biased to normal soap...(not the antibacterial variety).

Common flu can be mitigated by getting your damn flu shot from Walgreens or CVS. A lot of those places offer them for free, so please just go do it. Get vaccinated. It lowers your risk.

Right now, there's no vaccine made for this nCoV. It is new but seems to be related to MERS and SARS coronaviruses. The reason why we're up in a panic and uproar is fear of the new and unknown. I live down the street from the National Institutes of Health. I'm hoping they're working overtime the past three months; my tax dollars are (hopefully) probably going to the Department of Health and Human Services.

There's probably little we can do. I'm assuming most of us aren't children. I'm assuming most of us aren't senior age. I'm also assuming most of us aren't pregnant or nursing...I'll give some leeway to seahorses. We could stock up on supplies. We could make a rush for alcohol (or vodka or highly concentrated grain alcohol solution), tissues, hand sanitizers, and bleach. However the biggest underlying truth is that we can't let panic sway us around. When mania occurs, poor decisions are made and we may end up hurting more than the virus could ever do. The minimum we can do is limit our time in crowded spaces; wash our hands regularly and highly opportunistically; and limit contact and transmission from surfaces to face. If you are the at-risk population, it makes more sense to stock up. Me, personally, a brisk late-20s male with decent health and that doesn't travel outside of his living room probably doesn't need to stock up.

Illnesses do not discriminate, but also consider risk factors that you may carry or enter into will increase likelihood (probability) of occurrence.

Definitely best thing is not getting paranoid but being smart and making the best decisions for you and your own family

Keeper of my nieces Ocean
4 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

I'm not scared about getting it and don't believe we should succumb to the hoarding hysteria, but I don't want to spread it.  There are vulnerable populations out there (i.e., elderly), so trying to do my part and stay as isolated as I can (which required me to have enough supplies at home to do so) while it's actively spreading right now in my community.  And I'm sure the death rates are not fully understood yet b/c of how new Covid-19 is, but whatever it ends up being, it still sucks because it is in addition to the flu so cumulatively we are worse off.

Stay away from the elder care facility and you should be good. Its accounted for lile 90% of deaths in the us so far

1 hour ago, Tamberav said:

When you consider how many have it but not have severe symptoms and don't report it results get screwed. I guess you could say the same for the flu though.

But this is closer comparison to the flu and isn't super deadly like SARS or MERS or a zombie attack. 🧟‍♂️ 

Also saying something is 20 times more deadly makes it sound really bad....if flu is 0.1 percent that would make this virus only 2 percent. I think right now they say globally 3.4 but sound Korea where a lot of people were tested was more like half a percent.

Statistics suck! 

It is very sad to lose anyone...no matter the number.

I have had elderly come in sick and hospitalized with the flu or other respiratory stuff because a family member visited them that was actively sick. Don't bring Grannie your germs!

SARS which hit us bad here in cda(we were second to China)  only had a 1% death, covid is now between 2-3%.

We had 250 cases in cda- corona virus is already at 77 and it's been a few weeks.

I don't think being paranoid or hysterical is the answer but we should also not take it lightly either.

Look at Italy. Within 24hrs death toll went up from 366 to 463, cases went up from 7333 to well over 9000- their healthcare system is one of the best.

Why it's so rapidly spreading, why children are not being infected are very good questions that haven't been answered yet.

18 minutes ago, Keeper of my nieces Ocean said:

Corona death rate is under 2.5% and if you take wuhan out its much lower. Isnt the media trying to scare us enough?

Is it trying to scare us or is it we are just so jaded now with media that we don't even believe the truth because of all the lies?

• Like 2

Is anyone here old enough to remember the Swine Flu Vaccines of 1976? It almost killed my Wife. I was sick at home from it. She was terrified I’d end up dead from it since I was home alone. We had a huge Hospital Bill, our Insurance didn’t want to cover. Their reasoning was we personally caused our illness. We both had Health Cards, so the shot was mandatory. They finally did cover it. My Wife to this day refuses to get a Flu Shot. I get one every year, do to the number of pathogens I would enter-counter on my job.

1 hour ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

The reason it's not stoppable is because not one single human outside of those who are genetically lucky will have immunity to this. And kids-I'm wondering if the reason it is sparing kids is because they are still getting regular immunizations and the range of adult ages getting it, no longer get vaccines outside of occasional boosters. So kids have very very active immune systems while adults are in a somewhat complacent state. 🤷🏽‍♀️

It’s actually the opposite of this, from the medical literature I have read it seams that a lot of the severe lung reactions that occurred are due to the body over-reacting to the virus and essential “burning the whole place down,” because children have less robust immune systems, they are less likely to have these reactions 

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

SARS which hit us bad here in cda(we were second to China)  only had a 1% death, covid is now between 2-3%.

We had 250 cases in cda- corona virus is already at 77 and it's been a few weeks.

I don't think being paranoid or hysterical is the answer but we should also not take it lightly either.

Look at Italy. Within 24hrs death toll went up from 366 to 463, cases went up from 7333 to well over 9000- their healthcare system is one of the best.

Why it's so rapidly spreading, why children are not being infected are very good questions that haven't been answered yet.

Italy has an older population which may be part of it. 

• Like 2

I am hoping things improve quickly. My youngest son, his wife, and my two grandsons are supposed to go to Italy the end of May. Spoke with my son they have the insurance plus the air line said they can cancel and rebook with in a year. That is with out the insurance. 

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, DSA65PRO said:

Is anyone here old enough to remember the Swine Flu Vaccines of 1976? It almost killed my Wife. I was sick at home from it. She was terrified I’d end up dead from it since I was home alone. We had a huge Hospital Bill, our Insurance didn’t want to cover. Their reasoning was we personally caused our illness. We both had Health Cards, so the shot was mandatory. They finally did cover it. My Wife to this day refuses to get a Flu Shot. I get one every year, do to the number of pathogens I would enter-counter on my job.

Are you in the US?

I see people suffer a lot from our health care system. 

I’m not worried about the kung flu at all, I wash my hands 10-30x a day as it is, shower regularly, and stay home if I’m sick. Basically what everyone should do normally.

I’m going to a frag swap Saturday, and plan on macna this year unless it gets canceled.

• Like 3
34 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

I'm hoping the people panic buying water, food and toilet paper also remember the condoms. We got enough idiots out there

Yeah well what else we gonna do while quarantined... I mean that and taking care of the fish tanks 😜

• Like 1
NoOneLikesADryTang
3 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Is it trying to scare us or is it we are just so jaded now with media that we don't even believe the truth because of all the lies?

This. 

Reread this. 

Now read it again.

This is the greatest thing I've read in months. 

• Like 1
NoOneLikesADryTang
1 hour ago, ef4life said:

I’m not worried about the kung flu at all, I wash my hands 10-30x a day as it is, shower regularly, and stay home if I’m sick. Basically what everyone should do normally.

I’m going to a frag swap Saturday, and plan on macna this year unless it gets canceled.

What time are you going? The tank keeper and I going to go by, but I was told after I bought a few things last weekend that a coral embargo was in place until we got another tank broken down, and transferred to the 80. I'm a bit of a giant, and the tank keeper is smoking hot - so if you see us come say hi (my name is Jon)  I'll have to see if we can get that tank broken down this week, or use my charm to talk my way in to more coral. 

We'll definitely be at MACNA also - our local group is heavily involved with it and we'll probably end up at the show every day. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

What time are you going? The tank keeper and I going to go by, but I was told after I bought a few things last weekend that a coral embargo was in place until we got another tank broken down, and transferred to the 80. I'm a bit of a giant, and the tank keeper is smoking hot - so if you see us come say hi (my name is Jon)  I'll have to see if we can get that tank broken down this week, or use my charm to talk my way in to more coral. 

We'll definitely be at MACNA also - our local group is heavily involved with it and we'll probably end up at the show every day. 

I plan on being at ocean floor right around 10am when they open. 

As for macna I hope to attend all 3 days. 

• Like 1

My mindset is to carry on as usual but just stay aware of the situation, wash hands frequently and try not to touch my face. I have a beard so I get the random itch every once in a while. If it spreads heavily in a community it seems like it would be hard to avoid it. Every time you swipe your card at the store and and use the touch pad to just getting gas. I don’t know if they figured out how long it can survive on objects.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Nauticus said:

My mindset is to carry on as usual but just stay aware of the situation, wash hands frequently and try not to touch my face. I have a beard so I get the random itch every once in a while. If it spreads heavily in a community it seems like it would be hard to avoid it. Every time you swipe your card at the store and and use the touch pad to just getting gas. I don’t know if they figured out how long it can survive on objects.

https://www.who.int/news-room/q-a-detail/q-a-coronaviruses

A40DD1D4-F6ED-43D3-BFEC-5396617C1D38.thumb.png.41e0bc4d5c65a510bdad0c06fb3cc58a.png

23 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Are you in the US?

I see people suffer a lot from our health care system. 

Yes, I’m in the US. I have a PPO, recently I went on Medicare. My PPO had been refusing a much needed Knee Replacement. I went on Medicare, six months later I get an approval out of the blue, from my PPO, that I  still have as a secondary. Called the Dr. to see if they resubmitted it, they ask if I went on Medicare, and laughed when I said yes. I haven’t had a single out of pocket, except for some scripts, from the Surgery, Home Visits, and Rehab. 

I'm in the U.S.  I have a Bali trip planned in May.  I'm still going.  I'm 30 and have no health issues.  It's not going to kill me and I can get it anywhere at this point.  Not going to let it change all my plans and life.  

I just wish I could bring some corals home with me from this trip

• Like 3
On 3/10/2020 at 4:42 PM, Tamberav said:

Everything I come across is that flu causes more deaths than COVID-19 and some have mild symptoms and recover in days. It is when pneumonia sets in that you are probably out weeks.

I think we are shutting down/scaring people, in a panic... but I don't see any reason it is somehow worse then the flu. 

For the millions of us who have had an illness that puts us in the “at risk” category,  flu could quite easily kill us! In the uk we are called up and given vaccines a couple of times a year to stop this form happening. COVID-19 has no vaccine and so for many “at risk” ( we are not just talking old people here) people the survival rate would be considerably lower. So yes it is considerably worse than flu!

• Like 2