Coral Vue Hydros

Debate: Will the Coronavirus outbreak affect the reefing community

Nauticus

2 hours ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

It’s a scary thought but Italy has decided to move to treating the young over the old. If our healthcare system starts to wobble I wouldn’t be surprised if that doesn’t get tossed around here in the US

That right there 👆is the single benefit of the US’ private healthcare system vs public in the rest of the world. Every private hospital gets to make their own decision 

38 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

I'm don't think anyone is saying we should have a chicken pox party version of covid.

There was an armed robbery for toilet paper....

A fish medication.... is up on eBay for 100s of dollars....because it might help...never mind what the dosage is or the fact it's not pure and for fish use only....and misuse could make the covid resistant....

That's just ridiculous.

You don't need to hoard TP. Have enough on hand for 1 month. 

It's sad that ppl are trying to bank on the situation.

25 minutes ago, RedCrow said:

That right there 👆is the single benefit of the US’ private healthcare system vs public in the rest of the world. Every private hospital gets to make their own decision 

Yup with a majority unable to afford private healthcare- meaning those ppl won't know they have the virus, spread it, and cause more issues.

It has nothing to do with public vs private, italy has private hospitals which were opened up and they still can't cope 

You only have so many healthcare workers, hospitals only have so many icu beds- when there are more ppl sick vs available medical staff/rms you have a problem.

Italy has a very high population of elderly, therefore they have a lot on their hands 

22 minutes ago, RedCrow said:

Most private hospitals in the US have policies regarding care rationing during extreme Heath events (terrorist attacks, major disasters, pandemics) Where care is allocated to those with the best chance of survival. My hospital system (Mount Sinai) sent out an update to staff about it recently. 

4 minutes ago, William said:

Most private hospitals in the US have policies regarding care rationing during extreme Heath events (terrorist attacks, major disasters, pandemics) Where care is allocated to those with the best chance of survival. My hospital system (Mount Sinai) sent out an update to staff about it recently. 

Can you imagine a large population getting a virus vs hospital/staff availability.

That's why china built hospitals. 

Volume of ill in a short manner of time= medical system overload

• Like 1
mitten_reef
11 hours ago, RedCrow said:

Not arguing with the numbers, just trying to present another point beyond surface values.  yes, those numbers may make the flu deaths look enormous, but it is also what drives people's thinking out of context.  What's missing is the TOTAL diagnosed cases of flu (which is not available on the WHO link, they did ONLY reference severe/hospitalized cases of 3-5 millions), then we can determine how big of a % it is that flu will cause deaths worldwide.  From other sources, the US flu deaths only comprise less than 1% of those infected.  COVID-19 mortality rate is 2-3% the last I looked (yesterday).  Could it be lower due to some undocumented cases? yes.  But same could also be said about undocumented flu cases, I personally have not seen a doctor due to flu/fever symptoms in years.  

The fact that COVID-19 is in tens of thousands of people world-wide, vs seasonal flu affecting tens of millions possibly hundreds of millions, should also be considered (and that with vaccination being mostly effective).  Should the same population size that get the flu all get COVID-19 (yes, this scenario is possible if we aren't careful), we could be looking at adding 2-3 zeros behind that 4,291. 

Do I think the issue warrants all the hysteria? no.  Do I think certain places should/need to shut down?  yes.  

• Like 1

It is no secret we are short medical staff... nurses...dr's...whatever already....thats without covid. I think there should be better loan forgiveness for people in certain professions (maybe teachers too?). Try to encourage more people to go into health care somehow. Ofc we would probably need more schools too... as some have waitlists.

Idk the long term answer... but our system in general is broken with or without covid. A 20 something year old was waiting in the ED here for hours, only to be sent home... and she DIED. The reason given she was 'missed' was just the shear number of people overflowing the ED (thats without covid). They do build more hospitals but idk where they will get the staff because the many of us are already working very short every day. We are already overloaded in parts of the country. 

Maybe something good can come from Covid. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Keeper of my nieces Ocean said:

Just fyi, global warming has been debunked. Read a book

Yup.  Why do you think they changed it to "Climate Change"?  Because it's impossible to debunk.  The climate has changed for millions of years, multiple ice ages long before we were burning fossil fuels.  Unless cavemen had 18 wheelers and factories that we are unaware of. 

Now every time we see a tornado or hurricane the media can blame "Climate change"

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, olive said:

As a person with a suppressed immune system, I am at high risk. I really appreciate you for saying this, because for me COVID-19 does pose a serious risk. If you are not in a high risk population, you still need to think about the people that are and take the recommended precautions. This is different then the flu because there is no vaccination or widespread testng (at least in the US), which leaves it up to our bodies to fight the disease. 

Thank you for pointing this out @banasophia

This! I am considered high risk as well due to my asthma. I am already planning on working from home starting next week, and have been stock piling items to reduce leaving my house. A new study shows that Coronavirus lasts 3 hrs in the air, and days on plastic. 

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Keeper of my nieces Ocean said:

Just fyi, global warming has been debunked. Read a book

Cool! I will write a book to say that humans do not require oxygen to live and debunk that too!

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Jmevox said:

Yup.  Why do you think they changed it to "Climate Change"?  Because it's impossible to debunk.  The climate has changed for millions of years, multiple ice ages long before we were burning fossil fuels.  Unless cavemen had 18 wheelers and factories that we are unaware of. 

Now every time we see a tornado or hurricane the media can blame "Climate change"

Your right global warming does not exist! The polar ice caps are not melting the icebergs have just discovered the game peek a boo!😉

• Like 2

I stocked up on frozen fish food and tons of RO water a week and a half ago. At the rate my tank evaporates though, I’ll need to pop out occasionally to buy RO water. 

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, Hannahhhh said:

I stocked up on frozen fish food and tons of RO water a week and a half ago. At the rate my tank evaporates though, I’ll need to pop out occasionally to buy RO water. 

Same here

I’m thinking about postponing orders I need for my tank. Thinking about how many times the packages get handled during shipping through different cities.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Nauticus said:

I’m thinking about postponing orders I need for my tank. Thinking about how many times the packages get handled during shipping through different cities.

If you have Clorox wipes you could probably wipe everything down and then just wash your hands after to be extra safe. But I agree, I’ve thought about that too. 

48 minutes ago, Hannahhhh said:

My go to grocery store is out of any distilled water...

• Wow 1

My workplace just sent out an email telling people to work from home till the end of the month. 

8 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

My go to grocery store is out of any distilled water...

Same here....the bottled water section of the store is completely empty 

• Like 1
Just now, Sancho said:

My workplace just sent out an email telling people to work from home till the end of the month. 

Not a bad idea really, even though I feel this is mostly news media hysteria

Tap water in most places is drinkable 🙂

Obviously that doesn't help with our tanks.... maybe time to invest in a RODI machine and T off the RO water so you get both tank and drinking water? 😉 

Today I went to walmart just to get some normal crap and there was huge lines with carts full of water and TP so I turned around and walked right out.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Picogoby said:

Your right global warming does not exist! The polar ice caps are not melting the icebergs have just discovered the game peek a boo!😉

What about the ice age? Earths been frozen and thawed a few times, before mankind was around. We’re the mammoths rolling coal in their brodozers then too?

16 minutes ago, kthehun89 said:

Who ever is thinking a fish antibiotic is going to kill the virus is a damn fool.  

I feel like a fool for not listing the $10 bottle I have for hundreds of dollars but then I would feel guilty for preying on those so scared they are buying fish medications....

cosmicbread
25 minutes ago, ef4life said:

What about the ice age? Earths been frozen and thawed a few times, before mankind was around. We’re the mammoths rolling coal in their brodozers then too?

You're right, in the past 650,000 years there have been multiple cycles of glacier advance and retreat. Climate change has happened before. However, the current trend is accelerated (thanks to us) and is occurring at a rate this planet hasn't seen in millennia  -- and this is a problem.

I hadn't thought about distilled water being scarce for top offs. Good thing I bit the bullet and invested in a RODI system a while back, just needs to be installed. The fish medicine hoarding people are bonkers...