inTank Media Baskets

Debate: Will the Coronavirus outbreak affect the reefing community

Nauticus

4 minutes ago, squamptonbc said:

sounds like restrictions on domestic travel will be coming next.

I expect soon, the emergency act will be enforced

Too many selfish ppl out there still going to work sick, not isolating after travel 

• Like 2
The Rainy Day Aquarium

We just had a 5.7 mag earthquake this morning. One of the LFS posted a video of their store. Luckily just some water splashed out, but goodness, we just can't seem to catch a break with everything going on.

• Wow 8
squamptonbc

I was able to score 2 cans of grasshoppers, and if my cricket order arrives tomorrow, should be okay for 2 weeks. Question right now is will the order actually arrive to the store, they don't know for sure yet, the cricket farm people are taking it day by day.

People went on a hoarding spree at Petsmart and bought up all their crickets and worms yesterday before I could get there. (Tuesday is their order arrival day).

• Like 3
5 hours ago, Clown79 said:

I expect soon, the emergency act will be enforced

Too many selfish ppl out there still going to work sick, not isolating after travel 

You have to test positive for covid here to get off....and guess what....you need to meet very stringent criteria to be tested.

Means going to work sick or get fired. And I am in health care. 

Then there are those who worry day to day how to pay bills or get food and don't have the extra money to prepare for 2 wk qt. Those that live week to week on their paychecks.

It's not easy for some.

• Like 1

Just spoke to a doctor here at work and he said they are not allowed to test people unless they meet very specific criteria...and that they can't test in the clinic here and have to send them to a very specific place. They didn't even test a lady who came back from France. She was on hold for hours with the hotline.

He says he thinks it's just stupid we are not testing people but I guess they are days behind on testing and that is why. We have had weeks to prepare and we didn't bother so here we are....

• Like 2
squamptonbc
1 hour ago, Tamberav said:

You have to test positive for covid here to get off....and guess what....you need to meet very stringent criteria to be tested.

Then there are those who worry day to day how to pay bills or get food and don't have the extra money to prepare for 2 wk qt. Those that live week to week on their paychecks.

It's not easy for some.

That is exactly why some places even in the US are doing mandatory orders now and forcing non-essential places to close and limiting non-essential travel. Seems to be the only way some business and companies will listen and cooperate.

45 new cases here in BC, total of  231. So we seem to be climbing roughly 40 per day in the last week and this is with reducing testing due to lack of swabs and locations, so if its going up 40 day with reduced testing, I imagine its much higher in reality.

Been lucky so far that few have needed hospitalization, currently 13 in hospital with 7 in ICU. Only 5 of 231 confirmed cases have recovered.

• Like 1

Just got word starting tomorrow there will be no visitors allowed in the hospital. So flipping happy about that. Was too late coming if you ask me. We were the last hospital to impose this. 

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
1 hour ago, Tamberav said:

It's not easy for some.

A major part of the problem is that most labs aren't set up for it. We have had 4 calls so far this week from customers needing  Biosafety Cabinet decontaminations so they can move the equipment to isolated areas.  The chlorine gas decon takes half the day , then relocating and new validation is a 2 day process per cabinet.  They then have to submit the paperwork and wait for approval to begin the work. Facilities that need repairs on the cabinets can wait up to a week or more for the process to even get started. 

There aren't very many people who do what I do and only around 400 of us who are even certified for the work. 

We are trying but we can only work so fast.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 3
ECLS Reefer
43 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Just got word starting tomorrow there will be no visitors allowed in the hospital. So flipping happy about that. Was too late coming if you ask me. We were the last hospital to impose this. 

Yes but now they’ll call you on the phone every 30 minutes 🤭

• Haha 2
  • Wow 1
53 minutes ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

Yes but now they’ll call you on the phone every 30 minutes 🤭

Sorry I'm in a patient room...click.

Sorry HIPAA...call the pt themselves.

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, jbb_00 said:

We have had 4 calls so far this week from customers needing  Biosafety Cabinet decontaminations so they can move the equipment to isolated areas

They need the cabinets to be able to test samples? Are they all being done manually? 

5 hours ago, Tamberav said:

It's not easy for some.

We have 15 weeks unemployment sick pay- that's federal.

No need for Dr notes, no positive test required. 

So those that are sick do have help and more is to be announced...still waiting.

I went out quickly for necessities. It's a ghost town here. I've never seen anything like it.

Most stuff is shut down, voluntarily, some is mandated.

There were barely any cars on the road. 

Its eerie. 

• Like 1

This thread shows how much we are all being effected by this virus. 

No matter the situation one is in, no matter where you are its difficult. 

Its especially hard for those in healthcare 

• Like 4
12 hours ago, DSA65PRO said:

I saw the National Guard Rolling out of a Near-by Armory on Sunday. I went to a Hardware trying to avoid Lowe’s. They didn’t have what I wanted, so I ended up driving past the Walmart. The National Guard Trucks were at the Walmart, parking lot was overflowing. I’m guessing they were just picking up supplies. They weren’t there the next day when I reluctantly went there. The Store Associates brought out Three Pallets of Gallon water, they barely had enough time to get out of the way of the mob, descending on the water. This is crazy as most of us are on wells or a heavily chlorinated water supply. When they brought the Milk out, they had to have Associates set up and maintain a Barricade, so they could load it into a cooler. I went for Coffee Filters, Vehicle Engine Filter, Bath Soap, and Baby Soap to wash my face, for my allergy eyes. They had the baby soap, that was it.  I picked up a few other odds and ends. I had a Women Curse me out in the baby section, I guess she though Seniors were spreading it. She had Six Kids with her and they were touching everything in the store, I had seen them in another section before hand.     

Where do you live? It’s nuts where I live (Massachusetts) but not that nuts!

4 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Just spoke to a doctor here at work and he said they are not allowed to test people unless they meet very specific criteria...and that they can't test in the clinic here and have to send them to a very specific place. They didn't even test a lady who came back from France. She was on hold for hours with the hotline.

He says he thinks it's just stupid we are not testing people but I guess they are days behind on testing and that is why. We have had weeks to prepare and we didn't bother so here we are....

The hospital my sister in law works at refused to test staff unless they have very specific symptoms and even then still refused testing some. The radiologist recently made notes on someone's medical chart stating possible coronavirus infection and the higher ups made him redact that. We think they didn't want the publicity of being ground zero for the infection in the area, other than that i don't know why they would be telling doctors to not mention coronavirus in patients records.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Lypto said:

They need the cabinets to be able to test samples? Are they all being done manually? 

Part of the process is manual , yes.  

This is one of the  Biosafety Cabinets I completed this past Saturday. It's an older unit but still works. 

20200314_084826.thumb.jpg.e5a2b91d98eec2cb0fa06bc8ae4d6f03.jpg

44 minutes ago, roblox84 said:

The hospital my sister in law works at refused to test staff unless they have very specific symptoms and even then still refused testing some. The radiologist recently made notes on someone's medical chart stating possible coronavirus infection and the higher ups made him redact that. We think they didn't want the publicity of being ground zero for the infection in the area, other than that i don't know why they would be telling doctors to not mention coronavirus in patients records.

Because of federal-guidelines, there are so few tests the only actions being taken stateside are reactionary - as a result the numbers are still being downplayed, potentially on-purpose. 

To use one of the states with an emergent rate of transfer as an example, VA now has 100 cases from 2 about a week and a half ago.
Honest estimations and action would report or be made on the assumption that there would, in turn, be a possible 3000 cases now. To a degree, at least a few, states are moving towards that more-proactive model.

• Like 1
ECLS Reefer
3 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Sorry I'm in a patient room...click.

Sorry HIPAA...call the pt themselves.

Oh you know that’s not how it works. If you don’t answer immediately even if your up to your eyebrows in poop they’ll call and let it ring for 10 minutes before hanging up. Then they’ll call back every 5 minutes. I hate hate hate those phone leashes they hang on you at the beginning of the shift. 

ECLS Reefer
13 minutes ago, jbb_00 said:

Part of the process is manual , yes.  

This is one of the  Biosafety Cabinets I completed this past Saturday. It's an older unit but still works. 

20200314_084826.thumb.jpg.e5a2b91d98eec2cb0fa06bc8ae4d6f03.jpg

That’s just a negative pressure hood isn’t it?

Just now, Dirté Sanchez said:

That’s just a negative pressure hood isn’t it?

Sort of 

Open area below the window is negative pressure but when the air reaches the top of the hood there is a 70/30 split . 

70% is recirculated back down onto the work surface and the other 30% is exhausted out the top. There are 2 HEPA filters inside the hood , one for supply (work area air) and a second for exhaust 

• Like 1
ECLS Reefer
7 minutes ago, jbb_00 said:

Sort of 

Open area below the window is negative pressure but when the air reaches the top of the hood there is a 70/30 split . 

70% is recirculated back down onto the work surface and the other 30% is exhausted out the top. There are 2 HEPA filters inside the hood , one for supply (work area air) and a second for exhaust 

Interesting. 

Just now, Dirté Sanchez said:

Interesting. 

Not all Bio Cabinets work that way.  

There are different  Classes of Biosafety Cabinets,  and then there are different types of cabinets within the separate classes . 

Class 1 

Class 2 Type  A 

Class 2 Type A2 (what's in the pic) 

Class 2 Type B1 

Class 2 Type B2

Class 2 Type C1

Class 3  (very few exist , used for the most deadly bio agents ) 

• Like 3
ECLS Reefer
12 minutes ago, jbb_00 said:

Not all Bio Cabinets work that way.  

There are different  Classes of Biosafety Cabinets,  and then there are different types of cabinets within the separate classes . 

Class 1 

Class 2 Type  A 

Class 2 Type A2 (what's in the pic) 

Class 2 Type B1 

Class 2 Type B2

Class 2 Type C1

Class 3  (very few exist , used for the most deadly bio agents ) 

That is pretty cool to know. You always wonder what the level 4 or whatever unit looks like in cdc or usamriid 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Clown79 said:

We have 15 weeks unemployment sick pay- that's federal.

No need for Dr notes, no positive test required. 

So those that are sick do have help and more is to be announced...still waiting.

I went out quickly for necessities. It's a ghost town here. I've never seen anything like it.

Most stuff is shut down, voluntarily, some is mandated.

There were barely any cars on the road. 

Its eerie. 

Ya we don't have that...laugh... Ya right... In my dreams...

• Like 2
  • Haha 2