Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Debate: Will the Coronavirus outbreak affect the reefing community

Nauticus

squamptonbc

BC government announced today they do not want US visitors and to please not come to BC. We of course are only 3 hours away from Seattle and that outbreak there is the biggest threat to us now, I am sure the BC government is pressuring the federal government to shut the land border to at least non-commercial travel, and based on the PM comments where when talking about the new restrictions he said US Citizens are exempt for now, which seems to imply they are considering a closure. 

They may be waiting in a way for Trump to do it so Canada doesn't look like the bad guy, but it really needs to be done at this point. WA state is at 904 confirmed cases, we have 103 confirmed cases, and 3 deaths over the weekend.

My dentist called today and their office is closing until further notice, the hospitals have started to cancel all non-urgent elective procedures and surgeries to free up staff and equipment and moving patients who are not urgent out of acute beds, seems like they are expecting a surge in hospitalizations soon, we seem to be about 2 weeks behind Seattle so middle to end of this week we may see a spike in cases, we went up 40 confirmed case from Sat to this morning.

We stocked up on dog food, I have enough basic fish supplies for 2 months, worried about my bearded dragon, looking more and more like non-essential stores will close, and my order of crickets isn't here until Thursday if it even makes it, but that only lasts about 2 weeks.

Wait and see right now. I am showing symptoms so in isolation for at least 14 days, unless I get bad enough for medical attention, I wont be tested so I will never know for sure, but I have dry cough, fever and body aches but lucking very mild at the moment.

4 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Ya Ontario has more than 100.

Unfortunately travelers haven't been getting screened nor given any info on what they are supposed to do.

So many are just going about living life, possibly carrying the virus to spread to others. 

A CBSA at Pearsom has it- how many ppl was that person in contact with.

I really think tougher measures need to be enforced because the honour method doesn't work.

As of right now, they are allowing grocery stores to stock 24/7, commercial travel still allowed which we need for supplies.

Ppl are advised to stay home as much as possible.

I'm still waiting for my order to be picked up by fed ex for my reef stuff. ETA was today but it's not even picked up.

• Like 2
Poison Dart Frog
1 minute ago, squamptonbc said:

BC government announced today they do not want US visitors and to please not come to BC. We of course are only 3 hours away from Seattle and that outbreak there is the biggest threat to us now, I am sure the BC government is pressuring the federal government to shut the land border to at least non-commercial travel, and based on the PM comments where when talking about the new restrictions he said US Citizens are exempt for now, which seems to imply they are considering a closure. 

They may be waiting in a way for Trump to do it so Canada doesn't look like the bad guy, but it really needs to be done at this point. WA state is at 904 confirmed cases, we have 103 confirmed cases, and 3 deaths over the weekend.

My dentist called today and their office is closing until further notice, the hospitals have started to cancel all non-urgent elective procedures and surgeries to free up staff and equipment and moving patients who are not urgent out of acute beds, seems like they are expecting a surge in hospitalizations soon, we seem to be about 2 weeks behind Seattle so middle to end of this week we may see a spike in cases, we went up 40 confirmed case from Sat to this morning.

We stocked up on dog food, I have enough basic fish supplies for 2 months, worried about my bearded dragon, looking more and more like non-essential stores will close, and my order of crickets isn't here until Thursday if it even makes it, but that only lasts about 2 weeks.

Wait and see right now. I am showing symptoms so in isolation for at least 14 days, unless I get bad enough for medical attention, I wont be tested so I will never know for sure, but I have dry cough, fever and body aches but lucking very mild at the moment.

Do you do mail order crickets? I get 500 at a time from Josh's Frogs. There are surely mailorder options in Canada. Also, you could breed dubia roaches (easier than crickets imo) if you can purchase a colony to get started. I breed fruit flies for my frogs and used to do dubias for my other critters. 

• Like 1
cosmicbread

Closed down everything considered non-essential in my state today as well. I am worried for my city's one and only LFS...and am hoping that at least some pet food supply stores might remain open.

Scary times for everyone, economically and otherwise. I do hope that these measures haven't come too late to the US.

We're slowly shutting things down too - Indiana here... 

I'm compiling a list of our favorite local places. We rarely dine at chains and I would be so sad if this forced the good places to close. Top of the list is a small ice cream shop. 

ETA: The list is so that I can try to support the business anyway I can. Luckily, most are restaurants, and all are offering pickup. Even the ice cream shop!!

• Like 5
  • Sad 1
Poison Dart Frog
33 minutes ago, RedCrow said:

Fellow Minnesotan? 

This is what our governor issued just over an hour ago:

ETQ8-XDWAAEGpvF.jpg

Flirting with constitutional infringement if you ask me...

I'm in Illinois where we're even more draconian lol.

• Haha 1
34 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

We're slowly shutting things down too - Indiana here... 

I'm compiling a list of our favorite local places. We rarely dine at chains and I would be so sad if this forced the good places to close. Top of the list is a small ice cream shop. 

I heard a suggestion to buy gift cards to places you like, to try to support them with the plan to use them when they reopen. Seems a bit daunting though at this point, I have to say... since most businesses and individuals will need support during this time. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, squamptonbc said:

Stay safe and hope you get well. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, banasophia said:

I heard a suggestion to buy gift cards to places you like, to try to support them with the plan to use them when they reopen. Seems a bit daunting though at this point, I have to say... since most businesses and individuals will need support during this time. 

That’s a great idea!

• Like 1
DISQUALIFIED-QQ

Maryland has effective shutdown the bar and restaurant business today. Any eat-in operation is closed at 5pm EDT. However there's a nuance where takeout and delivery are allowed. Many businesses have modified hours of business. Meanwhile at work my store only working 10 to 6 every day until we hear otherwise. My work shift doesn't change. If anything it provides a couple hours of sanitation and cleaning of high contact spaces, meaning...everywhere. Fortunately I have heard that there's little or no evidence that this virus communicates to animals. Granted, it's still early in the research processes.

• Like 1
Snow_Phoenix

Well. Did a grocery run at 10am, thinking most folks would be too busy working to actually shop. But nope, I was wrong. 😷

Some shelves were already being emptied.

One of my LFS has closed until the end of March. But their online auctions are still on. 

No word of closure from my primary LFS yet. But I think they might be closed until the RMO is removed. 😓

Edit: Not lockdown apparently - or so they keep telling us. Apparently, it's a 'RMO' but I don't really see the difference.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Wow 3
squamptonbc
3 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Stay safe and hope you get well. 

Thanks. These days its a is it the flu, a cold, COVID, something else, most years I would just sleep, rest and wait a few days, but this year it who knows. I am keeping an eye on my breathing, which is still normal, mostly just achy joints like the flu, a fever, scratchy throat and dry cough, the cough has gotten worse through the day but I have had worse, so unless things start getting worse, just gonna chill at home.

Downside is my wife has nowhere to go, and we live in a tiny apartment, so if I have it, she will end up getting it too I suspect.

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, squamptonbc said:

Thanks. These days its a is it the flu, a cold, COVID, something else, most years I would just sleep, rest and wait a few days, but this year it who knows. I am keeping an eye on my breathing, which is still normal, mostly just achy joints like the flu, a fever, scratchy throat and dry cough, the cough has gotten worse through the day but I have had worse, so unless things start getting worse, just gonna chill at home.

Downside is my wife has nowhere to go, and we live in a tiny apartment, so if I have it, she will end up getting it too I suspect.

I think not testing anyone who is sick is wrong. I understand why but it also doesn't reflect the true impact of the virus or those who possibly are spreading.

I know of ppl going to work sick- something I am against at anytime but even more so now.

I'm in an apartment too.   by the time we show symptoms, the other person has already been exposed.

These are scary times and we need to enforce things now

Keep us posted on your condition.

• Like 2

My mom’s friend is a nurse who does home visits to do IV infusions, often for elderly and immunocompromised patients. She and her husband returned from Russia recently, and both have flu like symptoms. She’s feeling better now but she called her primary care doctor who said she should be tested. Unfortunately the state health department said she’s not a candidate since she didn’t travel to an at risk location. They basically said she doesn’t have it, don’t bother self quarantining, and she can go back to work. Fortunately she’s a responsible human and decided to take time off from work, but I think it’s crazy that the health department didn’t find it necessary to test a health care worker who works with at risk patients, who recently traveled internationally, and who was showing symptoms. 

• Wow 2
23 minutes ago, Hannahhhh said:

My mom’s friend is a nurse who does home visits to do IV infusions, often for elderly and immunocompromised patients. She and her husband returned from Russia recently, and both have flu like symptoms. She’s feeling better now but she called her primary care doctor who said she should be tested. Unfortunately the state health department said she’s not a candidate since she didn’t travel to an at risk location. They basically said she doesn’t have it, don’t bother self quarantining, and she can go back to work. Fortunately she’s a responsible human and decided to take time off from work, but I think it’s crazy that the health department didn’t find it necessary to test a health care worker who works with at risk patients, who recently traveled internationally, and who was showing symptoms. 

Same crap happening here.

They focused on certain places where it's a major issue rather than all travelers. 

We had a cancer Dr return to work after traveling to Hawaii. 

Yup she had it. Ridiculous. 

Airport really was only screening ppl coming back from China.

This is a world wide problem- no traveler should be exempt from screening/testing.

They have decided to only test certain ppl here.

how many are spreading it going to work, school, hospitals etc because they think they have a cold or regular flu? (Still not right)

You can't prevent community spread with the attitude of only if you've traveled to a highly infected country are you a threat.

We are working on the honour system. If you traveled or are sick, self isolate....

There are responsible people who care about the greater good, then there are others.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Clown79 said:

I think not testing anyone who is sick is wrong. I understand why but it also doesn't reflect the true impact of the virus or those who possibly are spreading.

I know of ppl going to work sick- something I am against at anytime but even more so now.

I'm in an apartment too.   by the time we show symptoms, the other person has already been exposed.

These are scary times and we need to enforce things now

Keep us posted on your condition.

I’ve been sick for well over a week...went to the doctor on Friday she said there was a shortage of test and they wouldn’t test for covid till all the other test came back negative 🙄 did a full respiratory panel and that won’t come back till tomorrow. Apparently here they are only testing for covid if you’ve traveled to 8 specific countries or had exposure to a known case...in the meantime if I actually had covid I wouldn’t know because it’s probably passed by the time the other test come back...🙄 and of course my company is asking you to stay home if sick but are only paying you if you tested positive for coronavirus 

• Sad 1
23 minutes ago, Sancho said:

my company is asking you to stay home if sick but are only paying you if you tested positive for coronavirus 

That is so irresponsible of your company! Firstly, they should be encouraging people with any contagious sickness to stay home. You don’t want flu spreading around the office either! And secondly, they have to be aware of the lack of tests. How can they possibly expect you to prove you have corona? Ugh so annoying! I hope you feel better soon!

• Like 2

Also, do any of you guys order frozen food online? I’m trying to limit my time out of my house, but I need to stock up on fish food. I hate the thought of paying so much for overnight shipping. Is there a cheapest place to order frozen food from?

• Like 1
Snow_Phoenix

My country shut down its borders completely. Including any direct links to Singapore - and now hundreds of thousands of Msians that work in Singapore and commute daily are left 'stranded'. 

Our present situation:

https://www.thestar.com.my/news/nation/2020/03/17/s039pore-firms-to-m039sian-employees-pack-your-clothes-come-back-stay-put#cxrecs_s

My lil sis is working in Singapore and was originally planning on coming back for the weekend, but we told her not to return until the lockdown is uplifted. My state (Johor) economy is already taking a huge hit and it hasn't even been 24 hours since the RMO was implemented. 

All traveling has been minimized/banned. 😭

I'm going to PM my primary LFS through their FB page and ask if they do deliveries (at a fee) for the upcoming weeks. I have a lot of dry and frozen fish food for my SW fish, but I ran out of frozen bloodworms for my FW leopard eel. I'll try to make do with the last container of diced raw shrimp that I kept for my LPS, but I'll have to cut back on the feeding portions to preserve as much of the food as possible. 

Hobbyists on my end are asking each other about where to get feeder shrimp/fish for their large FW fish with most of the LFSes closed. I was honestly wondering the same thing. 🤔

• Sad 3
49 minutes ago, Hannahhhh said:

Is there a cheapest place to order frozen food from?

I mash up frozen cocktail shrimp and It'll tide most things over for a long time. If you can make your own it might be a good idea.

• Like 3

Health care workers here only get the extra PTO if they test positive but as you said...it's difficult to qualify for the test. Since we only get 4 sick days a year normally...I expect sick health care workers to be coming in. 

• Like 2
25 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Health care workers here only get the extra PTO if they test positive but as you said...it's difficult to qualify for the test. Since we only get 4 sick days a year normally...I expect sick health care workers to be coming in. 

Do you get government (statutory) sick pay in the states??  The US system always seamed really backwards to me with no enforced duty of care towards its employees.

• Like 1