SaltCritters.com

Debate: Will the Coronavirus outbreak affect the reefing community

Nauticus

Poison Dart Frog
1 hour ago, kimberbee said:

I'm dumb and should have shared:

If you're near a Pet Supplies Plus, they sent out a St. Patrick's day coupon for their pet perks members. 20% off entire purchase today only. Check your email, or I don't mind forwarding my email to you. 

I picked up an extra 1mo supply for both the cat and dog. Should have plenty for the fish. 

Mine has parking spaces where they will bring your order out to your car if you buy online for pickup. 

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
1 hour ago, Hannahhhh said:

Doing subcutaneous fluids (under the skin rather than going into a vein) is really not too hard to do. 

Unfortunately, my cat did not do well at home for fluids... and yes, we tried different locations in the house, tried with one person, 2ppl, 3ppl, even a vet tech came to the house to try to help. Yet, in their office he lays down, purrs, and begins to nap... 

1 hour ago, Christopher Marks said:

Unfortunately we’ve lost our income source for the time being with bans on public gatherings, but we’re working on shifting to online ordering and shipping to help stop the losses.

Chris, I was really looking forward to visiting the Phoenix area in August for MACNA, my sister, and to seek you guys out to try your shrubs. Since the next few months are so uncertain, I'd love to support your business if you're able to do online ordering/shipping (to Indiana). Please PM a link if/when you have one!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

Unfortunately, my cat did not do well at home for fluids... and yes, we tried different locations in the house, tried with one person, 2ppl, 3ppl, even a vet tech came to the house to try to help. Yet, in their office he lays down, purrs, and begins to nap... 

Chris, I was really looking forward to visiting the Phoenix area in August for MACNA, my sister, and to seek you guys out to try your shrubs. Since the next few months are so uncertain, I'd love to support your business if you're able to do online ordering/shipping (to Indiana). Please PM a link if/when you have one!!

aww poor baby! Even if he is stressed, you may want some on hand to get him through 2 weeks of QT or such if you get stuck inside. 

• Like 3
1 minute ago, Tamberav said:

aww poor baby! Even if he is stressed, you may want some on hand to get him through 2 weeks of QT or such if you get stuck inside. 

I'll see what they have planned, we have an appointment in 2 hours. I know they have a dog coming in 2x/day... yes, every single day... for the same condition. 

• Like 3
6 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

I'll see what they have planned, we have an appointment in 2 hours. I know they have a dog coming in 2x/day... yes, every single day... for the same condition. 

I think it will depend on if the government orders everything to shut down that isn't non-essential... and whether veterinarians are considered essential or not. 

Poison Dart Frog
21 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

I think it will depend on if the government orders everything to shut down that isn't non-essential... and whether veterinarians are considered essential or not. 

A huge percentage of people would feed their pets before they would feed themselves. I'm probably one of them lol. I can't imagine considering veterinarians non-essential but it's a legitimate worry. 

• Like 5
1 hour ago, kimberbee said:

I'm so sorry to hear about your cat.

My cat had renal failure, it's hard watching your fur babies in distress.

My siamese has allergies and asthma, luckily I have prednisone on hand for him, it's all they can do.

Hopefully vets will continue to see the animals that require regular treatment.

I hope the emergency vets don't shut down because for us with fur babies, they are family 

My main concern right now is my family and cats.

My tanks are important too but the cats come first and with 1 elderly cat and one with allergies, I can't feed just anything.

Let's hope this all ends sooner than later, support eachother cause these are hard times.

• Like 7

Information from the vets office, though I think we all realize things change daily if not faster... 

My vet does not *plan* to close. They are limiting walk-in traffic (turning them away, actually), rescheduling appointments that are non-essential, and having clients call when they arrive (wait in your car, you go directly into a room when one is available). They have been limited on their medical supplies (severe limitation on medicines), however I was told that they tried to plan ahead and have plenty of fluids for my cat and the other pet who needs it. 

• Like 4
squamptonbc
6 hours ago, Clown79 said:

That's messed up.

I'm not sure if our healthcare providers have the same stringent standards for sick days.

I know we get 3 sick paid days, cannot fire someone for medical reasons, 15 weeks unemployment sick leave assistance.

Our educational situation is the same. You leave school with heavy debts.

Varies by province with paid sick days in Canada, in BC there is no requirement in labor code for paid sick days so most people don't get them, some companies offer them as a part of the benefits package, but I have never had a company in BC that offered paid sick days.

Of course if your sick long enough, EI might be an option but as for missing a few days of work, unless you work for a generous employer, its unpaid generally.

The only dedicated marine aquarium store is suspending live stock orders both inbound and outbound, with the massive cuts in the airline industry there is too much risk to keep shipping living animals. They plan to stay open for now, but no longer accepting cash, credit and debit only.

I stocked up on dog food, but everyone is sold out of insects so not sure what to do about my bearded dragon, have about a week of insects if I ration. Orders are not coming into the stores so its been hard to stock up and prepare since the supply chain is not working.

Poison Dart Frog
38 minutes ago, squamptonbc said:

Varies by province with paid sick days in Canada, in BC there is no requirement in labor code for paid sick days so most people don't get them, some companies offer them as a part of the benefits package, but I have never had a company in BC that offered paid sick days.

Of course if your sick long enough, EI might be an option but as for missing a few days of work, unless you work for a generous employer, its unpaid generally.

The only dedicated marine aquarium store is suspending live stock orders both inbound and outbound, with the massive cuts in the airline industry there is too much risk to keep shipping living animals. They plan to stay open for now, but no longer accepting cash, credit and debit only.

I stocked up on dog food, but everyone is sold out of insects so not sure what to do about my bearded dragon, have about a week of insects if I ration. Orders are not coming into the stores so its been hard to stock up and prepare since the supply chain is not working.

Will your bearded dragon eat canned crickets? Also, what about frozen pinky mice? Maybe those are still available since they're not live...

Christopher Marks
6 hours ago, kimberbee said:

I'm trying to stay optimistic about August, but it's hard to know if that will be long enough. I have really been looking forward to having everyone visit my home town, I even had plans for a Nano-Reef gathering at an amazing brewery close to the convention center that serves cocktails and mocktails with our mixers. I appreciate your support, we are starting to get shipping going with the first packs of bottles going out today. Once those first packages arrive safely, I'll send you a PM 🙂 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Diamonds x Pearls said:

Wow, they got that going fast, thanks for posting. I lived at the NIH on an an inpatient unit for about 4 months back in my college days and served as a normal volunteer in several studies... it’s quite an experience volunteering for a clinical trial of an investigational drug/treatment, and you really have to consider possible risks when deciding whether to participate in something like that... grateful to the brave volunteers that choose to participate. 

• Like 2

It's an investigational trial, so I suspect what they've done is take some corona virus family vaccines and select for proteins and attachment points they think would be commonly shared with SARS-CoV 2, hopefully allowing the body to see that they're related and give them an immune response. They're testing for possible ways to make the vaccine for specifically this strain by using familiar viruses as sort of an outline, probably referencing strains from SARS-CoV and MERS-CoV outbreaks. It's closely related to SARS, and in the family of bat viruses, which mean theres some solid research and in the case of SARS, there were vaccines close to completion before the outbreak ended. The international community is certainly on this as a top priority, so It's likely we'll get a vaccine ahead of the projected schedule. 

• Like 3
squamptonbc

Appears the US/Canada border will be closed to non-essential travel, its being reported a joint announcement will be made in the next 24 to 48 hours.

I am American who lives in Canada so all my family except my Canadian wife is in the US, so this isn't the news I wanted to hear, but seems at this point needs to happen.

• Sad 2
  • Wow 1
Snow_Phoenix
18 hours ago, Tamberav said:

I am guessing veterinarians might have to close? Would be crushed to have a pet emergency during this. I know it's being advocated for but??

Some good news today - I managed to drop by a pet store that was about to close up for the next two weeks to grab a large bag of kibbles. The store is attached to an emergency vet clinic, and according to one of the store's assistants, the clinic will continue to remain open to treat sick animals (walk-in only, if I'm not mistaken) although the boarding facilities have been canceled, and all retail stores will remain closed. 

So if there is an emergency, I can still bring my dog over to get checked. 

I dropped by my LFS too, but they weren't open yet. Contacted them directly and they said they'll be opening late over the next few days, but will only admit regulars like me. No biggie - I'm not exactly in a rush to get any of my items, but I am slowly running out of carbon at home. So I guess I will have to drop by one of these days anyway. 

• Like 3

Amazon has exempted Pet Supplies and is still allowing incoming FBA inventory

phewwww.......................  Dodged a HUGE bullet there and as long as we can ship we should remain busy enough.  Online sales over the weekend were record level.

Hang in there, support your small businesses where you can.  I am dreading laying off this team I have built over the past 12 years.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Wow 1
squamptonbc
12 minutes ago, StevieT said:

Amazon has exempted Pet Supplies and is still allowing incoming FBA inventory

phewwww.......................  Dodged a HUGE bullet there and as long as we can ship we should remain busy enough.  Online sales over the weekend were record level.

Hang in there, support your small businesses where you can.  I am dreading laying off this team I have built over the past 12 years.

That is good to hear. I ordered a media and basket from you on Amazon last week, fit perfectly and great quality. I am in Canada and glad I ordered when I did as our dollar dropped since then and being my credit card is in CAD$ it was already 30% higher vs the US$ price. I wish our dollar was on par with the US sometimes ha ha

Anyhow hope things don't get too bad for you, I worry about the places I order from and the local stores which I worry may not survive a prolonged shut down which seems to be inching closer by the day, some have already announced they wont be bringing in any live stock until further notice, tough time coming up I think, I live in a high cost area so I know fish tanks will be one of the first things people get rid off if they lose their jobs.

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
  • Thanks 1
11 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

I'm trying to stay optimistic about August, but it's hard to know if that will be long enough.

Even if we can't go in August, that's the next vacation destination for us. Still want to support small businesses if I can in the mean time!!

5 hours ago, StevieT said:

phewwww.......................  Dodged a HUGE bullet there and as long as we can ship we should remain busy enough. 

I don't need to purchase supplies often, but I'll be sure to add inTank to my list if there's anything I do need. Going to try to buy from small businesses if I'm able to the next few weeks. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I saw the National Guard Rolling out of a Near-by Armory on Sunday. I went to a Hardware trying to avoid Lowe’s. They didn’t have what I wanted, so I ended up driving past the Walmart. The National Guard Trucks were at the Walmart, parking lot was overflowing. I’m guessing they were just picking up supplies. They weren’t there the next day when I reluctantly went there. The Store Associates brought out Three Pallets of Gallon water, they barely had enough time to get out of the way of the mob, descending on the water. This is crazy as most of us are on wells or a heavily chlorinated water supply. When they brought the Milk out, they had to have Associates set up and maintain a Barricade, so they could load it into a cooler. I went for Coffee Filters, Vehicle Engine Filter, Bath Soap, and Baby Soap to wash my face, for my allergy eyes. They had the baby soap, that was it.  I picked up a few other odds and ends. I had a Women Curse me out in the baby section, I guess she though Seniors were spreading it. She had Six Kids with her and they were touching everything in the store, I had seen them in another section before hand.     

• Sad 1
30 minutes ago, DSA65PRO said:

I saw the National Guard Rolling out of a Near-by Armory on Sunday. I went to a Hardware trying to avoid Lowe’s. They didn’t have what I wanted, so I ended up driving past the Walmart. The National Guard Trucks were at the Walmart, parking lot was overflowing. I’m guessing they were just picking up supplies. They weren’t there the next day when I reluctantly went there. The Store Associates brought out Three Pallets of Gallon water, they barely had enough time to get out of the way of the mob, descending on the water. This is crazy as most of us are on wells or a heavily chlorinated water supply. When they brought the Milk out, they had to have Associates set up and maintain a Barricade, so they could load it into a cooler. I went for Coffee Filters, Vehicle Engine Filter, Bath Soap, and Baby Soap to wash my face, for my allergy eyes. They had the baby soap, that was it.  I picked up a few other odds and ends. I had a Women Curse me out in the baby section, I guess she though Seniors were spreading it. She had Six Kids with her and they were touching everything in the store, I had seen them in another section before hand.     

My friend saw someone knock over a 90yr old at Walmart.

Disgusting.

Our stores are now offering senior only shopping hours. This allows them to shop safely and get what they need. 

I think it's a great idea.

Our LFS has closed down their fish room because a lot of ppl go there as if its a zoo. Fish food/dry goods section still open.

I am not worried about drinking water, tap is fine for me, I got all my rodi filters, test kits and salt for the tank.

A lot of stores are shutting down.

All bars, restaurants, clubs, large occupancy places legally can only do take out/delivery. 

$25,000 fine if you are caught with dine in customers.

• Wow 2
squamptonbc
1 hour ago, Clown79 said:

US/Cda border now closed besides essential travel(supply chain)

sounds like restrictions on domestic travel will be coming next.